New user - device selection assistance please.

Hazelette

I'm looking for some beginner GPS rec's and answers. I've been doing some research on GPS units over that past few days, since I want to try geocaching. I understand much of the info, but when it comes to choosing a unit, I keep going around in circles. :) I cannot afford a $400 unit for a hobby. In all honesty, I'd love to get everything I want for under $200, but I know that is a big stretch! :P

First, I have *basic* experience with orienteering and 1st gen GPS units. It's been a long time since I've used this knowledge, but I don't know if this prior knowledge is at all helpful. I am very techno-adept. :laughing: New, used or refurb are all acceptable device conditions.

I *know* I want a GPS unit with:

USB connectivity,

expandable memory (type doesn't matter,)

digital compass (traditional floating needle graphic display,)

geocache info (total paperless not req'd,)

US basemaps,

waypoint marking,

ease of use (intuitive design.)

I *think* all of the following devices fit my requirements. If one doesn't, please let me know. I've found many online sites bury the device specs or present conflicting info. (pricing info found via Google Shopping or forums here.)

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color - $220 (Amazon)

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - $165 (GPS4Us.com)

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx - $200 (Bass Pro Shop)

Garmin Oregon 200 - $200 (Bass Pro Shop)

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 - $215 (Bait & Hook)

DeLorme Earthmate PN-30 - $185-90 (Bait & Hook, Amazon)

I have not read many good rec's on Magellan devices. The DeLorme unit reviews seem either very good or very bad. DeLorme seems to have more features and maps than the competitors though. The Garmin brand has been around forever, and it has the best *brand* recs. There are a lot of recs for Garmin for new owners as well. :P

I dunno if this matters, but I'm in rural OH/WV.

So can anyone give me the pros/cons of these devices? Are there ones to avoid no matter what?

Thanks

I went around in circles too when picking out my unit. At one point I had quite a few sticky notes and about 20 tabs open on my computer comparing units. Then I had to whittle down what was a "need" and what was a "want." It appears you kind of already did this.

I ended up getting the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. I needed a rugged little unit that can get moist (if dropped on a damp bog for example). It needed to be able to be dropped on rocks and survive. I needed one that had good reception even in wooded areas because most cache placements here are in heavily wooded areas. And I needed one that was intuitive to use, with expandable memory and able to be connected to my computer. I also wanted the compass.

However, I don't use any of it's note taking capabilities etc. I can say even without using those capabilities that if you want a true paperless experience this is not the unit for you. You will likely become frustrated by the limited information you can put on the waypoints.

It works for me because I have the paperless component on my phone application. I don't use the phone for the actual cache search aside from reading descriptions and finding the next nearest.

I got stuck in the whole drive for paperless units and started veering toward higher end models until I realized I didn't really need them. But it took some wading through to get there.

I have the 60 CSX and the Delorme PN-40. Both are great units but cannot be compared to each other because the PN-40 does more. I used the 60csx for about 2 years before upgrading to the PN-40 and used either a PDA or my iPhone for the paperless feature and neither was that bad to use in conjunction with the CSX.

I bought the PN-40 because I got great deal last December, it was on sale for $199 from Amazon.com. I liked the paperless feature and the satellite imagery maps, that at the time Garmin did not offer and can't be used on the HCX's or CSX's. I like having that view when I'm hiking because it enables me to see the actual trails I want to follow that might not be there when I use the topo maps.

Now, which unit do I really like the most? I really like the PN-40 but love my CSX. It has better road routing, it is easier to use and see the words, and it just feels better in my hand. The Garmins have the ability to download free maps from a couple of websites, Delorme does not but their software download package is a great value at $29.00 a year with unlimited down loads.

If I were you, I would go to REI and play with the different GPS's and get a feel for what you like. I primarily use my PN-40 for my caching but I still bring along my CSX for routing and confirmation of locations.

Good luck.

I went around in circles too when picking out my unit. At one point I had quite a few sticky notes and about 20 tabs open on my computer comparing units. Then I had to whittle down what was a "need" and what was a "want." It appears you kind of already did this.

HAHA I did the same thing for nearly a month before settling on the Magellan GC. Had great features and the price was right. $177 at the time.

My sister is a die-hard geocacher who uses a PN-40 and she has nothing but raves for it. I just ordered a Magellan GC (doesn't have some of the features you are looking for, though), because it seems perfect for my needs as a newbie. Happy shopping :)

Me?

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx - $200 (Bass Pro Shop)

Garmin Oregon 200 - $200 (Bass Pro Shop)

The 60 is a good rugged unit.

Use GSAK and macros and you can get part of the cache information as POI's.

Oregon.

Paperless, with a lot less trouble!

I arranged my work so I could run to nearest Bass Pro Shop on Monday. Checked the website again today and they are "Out of Stock" grrrrrrrrr Had my heart set on the low price of a highly regarded GPSMAP 60CSx.

I just got started in this hobby a few months ago and was in the same boat on which unit to buy.

I was trying to decide between the Garmin Legend HCx, 60 SCx, or the Delorme PN-40. I didn't know much about going "paperless" and didn't think it be that big of deal. After going out a couple of times with my Nuvi and printed pages, I thought this is going to be a real pain!

I went with the Delorme PN-40. I've used it for about a month now and love it. IMHO it's a great unit. Best bang for the buck. The "paperless" feature is wonderful. I also like the size of the unit. Fits great in the hand, is waterproof, very rugged, accurate, and the screen is very easy to read in all conditions. As mentioned, the Ariel or satellite imagery that you can overlay on the topo map is fantastic! I've been a Garmin fan for a long time on automotive units, but didn't like having to fork out another $100 on top of the GPS price to purchase a decent set of maps from Garmin. Delorme gives you really good sets of maps right out of the gate. The annual $29. unlimited download of all their specialty maps also sealed the deal. Bought mine from Amazon for a bit above your $200. limit.

Edited by jsdad

I wasn't sure which direction to go either. I am a brand new geocacher myself and unlike you I don't have any experience with using a GPS. I started out using the iPhone app, I really like a lot of the features it has especially the find caches near me ( you don't have to preload anything) and I like being able to see my current coordinates and that of the cache at the same time. The downfalls were it sucks the battery like you wouldn't believe, even with my juice pack. The other was an issue of being in a service area. So I decided to take a leap of faith and ordered the Megellan eXplorist GC. I seemed pretty easy to use and came preloaded with set number of caches. It was a bit of challenge for me getting it started, it didn't come with a users manual. All of the information is available on line, but I find that a bit frustrating, so I just went outside and started pushing buttons until I figured it out. So far I love it. Biggest wishes are that I could see the coordinates of my location and the cache at the same time, and I wish the lighting was better. I find it hard to see out in the bright sun. Hope this helps! :)

After more research, I've ruled out all of the above devices except Garmin 60 CSx and DeLorme PN-40, since the others don't have all the features that I want (after hitting the specs again.) I don't really like the "look" of either unit, so I checked out a few more devices. The Garmin Dakota 20, Colorado 300, and Oregon 300 have the features that I want. The Dakota and Oregon are touchscreen (bonus) but pricey. I've found refurb Colorado 300s for under $200 online, so I'm gonna do more research on that one tomorrow.

I have an iPhone 3G, so paperless isn't required. I've tried to find two caches with it alone and struck out both times, so I definitely want a real GPS unit for the hunt. I believe most cachers use the 3GS, if the iPone is their only device.

Thanks for all the help and info!

We have two Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and compared them to other Garmins GPSs, like the Colorado and others and have found that the 60CSx is about the most accurate you can get.

When using them side by side to the Colorado for example the 60CSx gets you to the caches more accurately and quicker. The Colorado was often 20-30ft further off then the 60CSx.

I just picked up the Lowance Endura Sierra and am trying it out (I love REI, don't like it return it) way over priced for what the originator of this post is looking for but it's preloaded information is amazing and I'm planning on getting the driving card to use it as a turn by turn on road trips. I wanted a unit I could do more than just geocash with.

The Endura has landed me right on top of the last couple cashes I've went looking for, and I mean pretty much standing on it. Only wish I could download waypoints as easy as on the garmins.

I am also new to the game. I wanted to buy a nice gps device to get started with but I just don't have the money for it right now. So to get me started I found an application for my Blackberry Curve. It is Geocache Navigator by Trimble Outdoors.

For the beginner geocacher I think that it is great. I have decided that I must get a quality gps device. I have found that it will be a must. For now though I am enjoying my application that is on my phone.

Just do your research and be careful before you go and buy one of those expensive gps devices that are not what they are cracked up to be. HAVE FUN!!!!