Geocaching Questions

Here some questions that have been bugging me for awhile.

1. Why is Geocaching so addicting?

2. Why is it so important to get the FTF?

3. Where abouts is the original geocache?

4. Who has found the most caches?

5. Is there a type of geocache that you just use hints to find?

6. Why arn't you allowed to hide geocaches near railroads?

7. Why do multi caches have to be more than 150 meters away from each other?

8. Why were all Locationless caches archived?

9. How do you find a Wherigo? and..

10. What makes an event a MEGA-Event?

THANKS!!!!

Edited by M.A.D. Cows

1. Maybe because cachers think thier find count is equivalent to the amount of coolness they exude.

2. It's not.

3. Oregon

4. Team Alamogul

5. Sure. You could set up a puzzle cache that way. I own one.

6. I think because railroads are terrorist targets and a railroad car can squash you.

7. All physical containers/stages need to be at least 528 feet apart. Stages of the same multicache can be as close as the owner wants them.

8. Geocaching.com wasn't designed for caches like that.

9. Shell out money on fancy gadgets and then go hunt it. Seriously just go down to the Wherigo section and read the FAQ if you really want to know.

10. The amount of attendees

Most of the answers to these questions can be found in the FAQ, guidelines, and knowledge books. You should check them out when you get a chance.

He OP asked...

5. Sure. You could set up a puzzle cache that way. I own one.

The guidelines state that the use of a GPS must be an integral part of finding the cache, thus a cache which *only* uses hints to finds violates that guideline.

That said, there are caches which could be *found* only using hints, without ever using a GPS. I got real close to guessing the location of a 4 star puzzle cache based on the description and a hint. I was probably within 10' of the final but just didn't look in the exact spot where the final was hidden.

Most of these questions can be found on other parts of the site. But I'll try answering some of your questions:

1. Geocaching is lots of fun and once someone has found their first cache, they want to find more.

2. Because human nature causes people to like to be the "first" to do anything. It's just like when people claim they are first to comment on a YouTube video.

3. It was hidden in Oregon somewhere.

4. Team Alamogul

5. Yes, but it needs to be primarily based on GPS use.

6. Because it's not safe to be walking on them and they are private property. Also, they can be terrorist targets. The Guidelines list several other types of locations where caches are prohibited.

9. You need a device that can play Wherico cartridges. I'm not familiar with Wherigo and neither are a lot of Geocachers, so you'll need to visit Wherigo.com

10. An event needs to be attended by at least 500 people to be considered a Mega Event.

Edited by BCProspectors

(My personal opinion follows. Others may answer differently) The thrill of the hunt and exercising in a way that's fun, adventure, making my brain work, community. Learning about new areas.

It isn't to me. I don't really care about FTFs.

The original cache WAS outside of Portland Oregon. There is now a plaque to commemorate it.

Alamogul has over 41K finds.

I don't think it would be in keeping with the guidelines.

6. Why aren't you allowed to hide geocaches near railroads?

They're considered private property, and are dangerous.

To prevent too much cache saturation.

Because they're not really geocaches, although I'm sure they were fun.

9. How do you find a Wherigo?

You get a device that plays Wherigo cartridges and find the listings on Wherigo.com

500 people.

THANKS!!!!

1. It's not, really. It's just another hobby.

2. Nothing - once you've got a few to your name and worked it out of your system.

3. Not here :)

5. No - that would be a letterbox.

6. You are - in some countries.

7. All physical stages or caches have to be over 1/10th of a mile from other caches.

10. The first requirement is 500+ attendees. There are others.

THANKS!!!!

7. All physical stages or caches have to be over 1/10th of a mile from other caches.

Not the case for stages of the same multi cache.

THANKS!!!!

Key word "physical", if there is a container the 0.1 rule aplies

THANKS!!!!

If you are placing a multi and you have a physical stage at the given coords. You can place your final cache or next stage within .1 mile of the initial stage. In the case of two or more stages of the same multi cache, the .1 mile guideline does not apply.

If there is no physical stage of any kind, then then the .1 mi guideline does not apply.

Now if there is a physical stage of a multi cache in place and you or someone else wants to place a different cache within .1 mile, then the .1 mi guideline applies.

6. You are - in some countries.s.

There is nothing in the guidelines which allows the guideline to be ignored if you happen to be in a specific country. The fact that there may be caches near railroads in some countries doesn't mean that they are *allowed* in some countries.

That said, there are some guidelines where reviewers seems to be a little more lenient in their enforcement in some foreign countries, especially in areas where there are very few caches. The most common that I've seen are caches located inside a building with a caretaker that'll help seekers of the cache locate the container. I certainly hope that this continues as in some cases they may be in places where there are no other caches available in the area and having a local caretaker means the difference between being able to find a cache and not being able to cache in that area at all.

Well

If you are placing a multi and you have a physical stage at the given coords. You can place your final cache or next stage within .1 mile of the initial stage. In the case of two or more stages of the same multi cache, the .1 mile guideline does not apply.

If there is no physical stage of any kind, then then the .1 mi guideline does not apply.

Now if there is a physical stage of a multi cache in place and you or someone else wants to place a different cache within .1 mile, then the .1 mi guideline applies.

I emailed my reveiwer and he said that all caches within a multi must be 1/10 of a mile away, UNLESS the stage is not a physical containor. This is so caches do not get to dense.

Because it is a habit-forming activity that can be worked into any errand run and can consume all free time. Any activity can be habitual, really.

It is important to the people it is important to because they feel it is important to be the first. These were the kids who knocked you down in elementary school because they had to be at the front of the line. And you remember that kid who announced just as loudly and proudly that s/he was Second? Geocaching has those people, too.

It was in Oregon but 500 people already told you that before I could.

Me... I have found the most in my family. Almost all my geocaching friends have found more than me. I don't know who has the non-existent crown of Geocaching right now. It could be you if you get to it.

Puzzle caches, in a manner of speaking, but coordinates always have to be included in, even if they're fake coords for a puzzle cache. Letterboxing is an activity that leans more on orienteering than coordinates.

Same reason you can't hide them in airports or in seaports and why you shouldn't hide them next to interstate roads. Homeland Security and ... well ... we all liked playing Frogger on Atari but nobody wants to BE Frogger.

There is a saturation concern that prevents caches from being within .1 mile of each other, but this saturation does not apply to stages within a multi-cache.

Because we have Waymarking.com. Go check it out. It's FUN. Just steer clear of that forum.

9. How do you find a Wherigo?

You buy an Oregon or a Colorado and follow the instructions on Wherigo.com.

When it's on SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! No, honestly, it's got to be a really big event. More than just a few dozen people getting together on a Saturday morning.

Well

I emailed my reveiwer and he said that all caches within a multi must be 1/10 of a mile away, UNLESS the stage is not a physical containor. This is so caches do not get to dense.

If you are placing a multi cache, all the stages within the multi you are placing can be as close or as far apart as you want. It's clearly written in the guidelines:

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

If you place a multi cache, then everyone else needs to place their caches at least 528 ft away from all of your physical stages.

Well

If you are placing a multi cache, all the stages within the multi you are placing can be as close or as far apart as you want. It's clearly written in the guidelines:

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

If you place a multi cache, then everyone else needs to place their caches at least 528 ft away from all of your physical stages.

I am wanting to look uo the caches in my area that are owned by a particular cacher. I know that I can enter my zip code and look up all of the caches that are closest to me, and I know that I can look up caches that are owned by a particular cacher. But how do I get the list of their caches in order from the distance they are from my house?

Waiting for the day when people on forums learn to read other peoples posts before jumping on them....

I said - All physical stages or caches have to be over 1/10th of a mile from other caches, NOT that the physical stages of your own cache had to be further than 1/10th of a mile apart!

6. "Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply," from the listing guidelines, OFF LIMITS section.

The issue with railroad placements is about private property, not danger. Danger is not a guidelines consideration. Perception as terrorist threat could also be a consideration.

Caches may be much closer to rail lines then 150 feet, where the rail property is narrower. 150 is fairly common in the U.S. - especially in the midwest and far west.

In other countries, other law and distances may apply.

Early in the game of geocaching, a cacher was charged with criminal trespass for placing the cache on railroad property. The cache owner paid $2030.00 in fines and lost his drivers license for a year.

Well

I am wanting to look uo the caches in my area that are owned by a particular cacher. I know that I can enter my zip code and look up all of the caches that are closest to me, and I know that I can look up caches that are owned by a particular cacher. But how do I get the list of their caches in order from the distance they are from my house?

Waiting for the day when people on forums learn to read other peoples posts before jumping on them....

I said - All physical stages or caches have to be over 1/10th of a mile from other caches, NOT that the physical stages of your own cache had to be further than 1/10th of a mile apart!

Truth be told, neither you nor I read the OP's question correctly before posting or else our answers would have been more like Proud Soccer Mom's and nymphnsatyr's. :)

The military GPS satellite contains a subliminal mind control carrier wave that was originally concieved to control troop movements on the battle field. It is amplified through your hand held device so that anyone within a 6 foot radius will feel it's effect. This carrier wave has been leased from the military, by Groundspeak, Garmin, REI, and Chik-fil-a so it's vitally important to wear a foil hat whilst caching or you will have the urge to buy Groundspeak gear, Garmin GPSrs, hiking and camping equipment and apparel, and eat fried chicken on a dry bun with just 2 slices of pickle and be happy to pay $8 for the privilege. :D

Character flaw? :huh::o:):)

The military GPS satellite contains a subliminal mind control carrier wave ***

Unplanned side-effect based on genetics of certain people to the control wave.

Plan A

TinfoilHat.jpg

The military GPS satellite contains a subliminal mind control carrier wave ***

Unplanned side-effect based on genetics of certain people to the control wave.

Plan A

TinfoilHat.jpg

Holy why didnt I think of that?!