Log the NOT FOUNDs

Colorado Papa

It has become obvious to me that some benchmark hunters are not logging "Not Found". Is it because they don't want to admit they didn't find the marker? If so, this is the wrong attitute. I feel that a description of their search and pictures would help the next hunters to confirm the marker is actually missing, or else was possibly in the wrong area. If they were using only the detail coordinates with a GPSr, say so! If they were following the description at different coordinates, log them. Was it a quick or detailed search? Was any research done such as at the local library of old maps? Supply the information! There is nothing wrong with logging a "NOT FOUND".

1950 Surveyor

I agree!! Such information can save a lot of time for the next hunter that comes along.

As an example I visited the site of a mark that was listed as installed in the vertical face of a concrete bridge over a railroad track. All of the bridges, of the correct era, over this particular railroad track have been removed and all crossings are now at grade. By logging these details it will convince the next person that looks at the notes that this one is most likely gone.

Conclusive proof that certain landmarks in the description have been destroyed or renamed can be a big help too. Entire highways can disappear with little trace( especially in the Southeast) - so if you have any insights to that effect it could be a big help.

----- Fighting entropy one benchmark at a time. -----

quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Papa:

It has become obvious to me that some benchmark hunters are not logging "Not Found". Is it because they don't want to admit they didn't find the marker?

What indications are they leaving? I may not log anything until I finally give up permently on finding it. What indications are they leaving? I may not log anything until I finally give up permanently on finding it. Some will leave notes until they give up.

I do agree that hunters should leave information if they fail to find something.

That's exactly the problem, they are not leaving any indications.

I came to this conclusion when several (easy to locate if they were there) missing BMs had no logs whereas nearby BMs were found and logged more than three months ago.

I believe in leaving notes about a location when you do a search to help others. Check out JK1201 http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=jk1201

1950 Surveyor

quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Papa:

I came to this conclusion when several (easy to locate if they were there) missing BMs had no logs whereas nearby BMs were found and logged more than three months ago.

1950 Surveyor

I'll log something for any benchmark I look for and I hope everyone else does too...

but I'm not sure what you can learn what you are observing. You could e-mail the people you suspect of not logging 'not founds' and ask them about it?

(How hostile do benchmark hunters get when questioned about their logging habits? I still haven't decided how or if to ask E-S about their finds...)

it's possible that these particular marks simply haven't been looked for yet. i know i looked around in colorado springs a few weeks ago, and found some marks that had never been logged, weren't tough to find, and were near marks that had been found a while ago. there are places in denver, too, where there is an "unfound" mark surrounded by "found" marks. now, if you find a datasheet in the bushes nearby, then you might be on to something...