How to Finance Your Own Personal Coin

avroair

I have spoken to quite a few people lately who are thinking about minting their own personal coin. It's the coolest sig item to have, but cost can get in the way. Their first gripe is that it's expensive and not economical to put into caches. I have minted a number of personal coin and the net cost has been zero... yep, 0... which allows me to leave them in caches, give them to people at events or trade em.

Here are a couple of suggestions I have for people who would like to make their own personal, feel free to add tips and experiences of your own here:

If you suck at artwork... many vendors have graphic designers who can help your coin become a reality.

If you don't have an idea... think about the iconography you would like on your coin before you mint it, what is special to you and adds a personal touch

If you lack the knowledge... some vendors have dedicated staff who can walk you through the process, they are wonderful at taking you along each step of the way

If you lack funding... get a quote, figure out how many of a mint run you would have to sell to make up the cost. If you mint a coin for $6.50 each and sell em for $10 each then out of 100 you have to sell 65 to break even... leaving 35 for you to do as, as you please

If you lack the resources... project manage your coins and get creative, rather than just selling the coins, slate some for trades, others for putting in caches, others for gifting, others for charities and others to sell etc

Making your own personal coin is fun and doesn't have to be a money drain, often field questions about minting a personal coin... so let's see some more personals out there! :)B)

We made our first coin a year or so ago. Basically it cost us nothing. We went with a company that did a pre-sale of our design. This really helped with the up front costs. We have since made a few more coins and have not really spent a lot of money doing so. There are ways around it. Come up with a design that others will want.

Left out step 0 : get famous, so that people actually want to buy my personal coin :)

Making it non trackable and without custom icon would reduce the cost, but you'll be faced with 2 problems : people are much less interested in them, and it won't belong in this forum.

Do people make a batch of geocoins with some coins trackable and others without any codes?

Left out step 0 : get famous, so that people actually want to buy my personal coin :)

Making it non trackable and without custom icon would reduce the cost, but you'll be faced with 2 problems : people are much less interested in them, and it won't belong in this forum.

Do people make a batch of geocoins with some coins trackable and others without any codes?

My boyfriend and I did a non-trackable coin a couple of years ago. We really enjoyed giving it out at events and dropping it in caches. They ended up being less than $3 each.

Avroair has made some really good points. You don't have to be Van Gogh to come up with your design ~

some great advice there. ive been interested in getting a geocoin made, but a) i dont have the finances and b ) im too scared to even try discussions with coin makers here.

We're not bad people! :) We have a lot of information to share, and we can offer specific information to your particular situation, but you have to ask us how this will apply to you!

~J

some great advice there. ive been interested in getting a geocoin made, but a) i dont have the finances and b ) im too scared to even try discussions with coin makers here.

Don't be afraid...all of the coin makers that I have dealt with are wonderful people.

I would provide a word of warning here. As much as I've loved the coin makers that I've dealt with, we have recently had 3 go under while holding people's money for presales on coins.

I would definitely talk to people who have had personal coins made. Find out what company they used. Were they happy with the company? Did they deliver as promised? How is the reputation in the community?

You can't be too careful! And most reputable companies are glad to answer any questions you may have.

Don't be afraid...all of the coin makers that I have dealt with are wonderful people.

I would provide a word of warning here. As much as I've loved the coin makers that I've dealt with, we have recently had 3 go under while holding people's money for presales on coins.

I would definitely talk to people who have had personal coins made. Find out what company they used. Were they happy with the company? Did they deliver as promised? How is the reputation in the community?

You can't be too careful! And most reputable companies are glad to answer any questions you may have.

Plus...just talking to someone does not mean you are under any obligation to have anything made.

Left out step 0 : get famous, so that people actually want to buy my personal coin :blink:

My boyfriend and I did a non-trackable coin a couple of years ago. We really enjoyed giving it out at events and dropping it in caches. They ended up being less than $3 each.

maybe i understand you wrong Chrusalides but do a personal coin must have a tracking code??

i love the NON trackable personal coinzzzzzzzz :):blink:

Left out step 0 : get famous, so that people actually want to buy my personal coin :blink:

maybe i understand you wrong Chrusalides but do a personal coin must have a tracking code??

Geocoins do NOT have to be trackable. We have one that is trackable and one that is not. It all depends on why you are minting the coin. If you want them to use as swag or trade with other collectors, then you do not need to make them trackable. If you want them to travel, make it trackable.

In regard to the comment that non-trackable coins "won't belong in this forum"...I disagree. You cannot promote the selling of a non-trackable coin here, but you can trade them here.

Geocoins do NOT have to be trackable. We have one that is trackable and one that is not. It all depends on why you are minting the coin. If you want them to use as swag or trade with other collectors, then you do not need to make them trackable. If you want them to travel, make it trackable.

In regard to the comment that non-trackable coins "won't belong in this forum"...I disagree. You cannot promote the selling of a non-trackable coin here, but you can trade them here.

ohhhh i was just suprise about it as did some trade`zzzz here with NON TRACKABLE PERSONAL coinzzzz....

but i did`t come in here so much lately so i thought maybe the rulezzzzzz where change but THANK GOD it is`t :o:o

ohhhh i was just suprise about it as did some trade`zzzz here with NON TRACKABLE PERSONAL coinzzzz....

but i did`t come in here so much lately so i thought maybe the rulezzzzzz where change but THANK GOD it is`t :o:o

I was talking about trackables since a non trackable would float even more into the "i can't afford this" category. Was giving some advice on how to make one trackable (so you can throw in in caches and track them) and cost effective.

If anyone needs other pointers post em here!

Another way to cut a cost is to not purchase a unique icon at the time of production. That saves you $150 from the get go. You can always get an icon attached to your trackable later on down the road as was the case for "Big Hearts, Big Love"

That coin carried the 'Generic' gold coin w/cent symbol for a few months and just recently added an icon to it :)

~J

I'd also recommend to mint smaller runs. I did 250 moon dippers and then for some reason I did 400 tribal suns (???) what was I thinking?! My next few coins will have smaller first runs (and then if its popular do more runs later). I sell enough basically to break even and pay the webhosting of my site. Its been a fun run so far, I shoot for 2 coins per year. My first project was run though a US based company and they basically did all the work for me. I heavily recommend going that route.

I happen to have the benefit of knowing adobe illustrator pretty well. So I design all my coins myself and then the mint just takes my illustrator file and the mint art is almost exactly the same as my submitted art. Less to lose in translation!