Geomate Jr

Im thinking about getting a Geomate Jr as Im only using a phone app right now and funds are limited. I was wondering if anyone has used one? Is it accurate? Does it get good reception at all times? I want to place some caches in my area, will I be able to do that with this device? Thanks!

Im thinking about getting a Geomate Jr as Im only using a phone app right now and funds are limited. I was wondering if anyone has used one? Is it accurate? Does it get good reception at all times? I want to place some caches in my area, will I be able to do that with this device? Thanks!

I know of at least two people who have tried them and they both were quite happy with how well they worked. Not paperless caching, no maps, but pick a cache near you and the little arrow will lead you to it quite reliably. Overcoming obstacles, finding the right trail, etc. is still up to the cacher. Makes a nifty take along for travel.

I have one for sale if you are interested. Like new, no scratches and comes with the update cable. I liked it for caching but just was given an Oregon 450! $80 bucks and I will ship it to you in the lower 48 states....

I know of at least two people who have tried them and they both were quite happy with how well they worked. Not paperless caching, no maps, but pick a cache near you and the little arrow will lead you to it quite reliably. Overcoming obstacles, finding the right trail, etc. is still up to the cacher. Makes a nifty take along for travel.

I have one for sale if you are interested. Like new, no scratches and comes with the update cable. I liked it for caching but just was given an Oregon 450! $80 bucks and I will ship it to you in the lower 48 states....

I thought you wanted $75?

I actually thought it said $60 the first time maybe I saw it wrong though. I can get it brand new at Target for $65. I appreciate the offer though.

Still cant figure out if it will give me the coordinates for placing my own caches???

I am an early adopter my review is on one of the threads. I utilize it along with the iPhone and some upscale dedicated units. It is most accurate. It fills a niche.

In actuality, I have two ... had to get a second because mine seemed to always be on loan.

You can not enter co-ords. with a GeomateJr..

The person from Placerville has a unit > plus < the update cable on the market for $80.00 which includes shipping if I read correctly.

Edited by humboldt flier

I just bought one for the kids and it seems to work reasonably well although a bit inconsistently. Sometimes it seems right on and other times it seems to be way off (and doesn't match my phone's GPS). It is easy for kids to use and my nine-year-old figured it pretty much on her own.

Remember when pricing it, you need to include the cost of the cable ($25). While it includes 250,000 caches, things change over time so you'll need to perform updates. Updating is pretty easy and seems accurate (new caches appeared for us).

In our family, Mom has a Blackberry running Geocache Navigator, Dad has an iphone using the GC app and Son has a Geomate Jr. We think the Geomate is great and accurate. It gets better reception than the phones in the mountains. Not every cache that we hunt for is loaded in the Geomate (no mystery caches, multi caches, etc. and some excluded due to terrain/difficulty), but it works well for us the majority of the time. You definitely need the update cable or access to one to keep the cache data current.

One of the screen choices that you can toggle to on the Geomate gives you the coordinates of your current position. We haven't placed a cache, but I would think you could write down the coordinates from the screen while at your cache location and be good to go.

I am an early adopter my review is on one of the threads. I utilize it along with the iPhone and some upscale dedicated units. It is most accurate. It fills a niche.

In actuality, I have two ... had to get a second because mine seemed to always be on loan.

You can not enter co-ords. with a GeomateJr..

The person from Placerville has a unit > plus < the update cable on the market for $80.00 which includes shipping if I read correctly.

You can get coordinates in a pinch if you use the home function. This is the only waypoint you can save in the geomate.jr.