Garmin nüvi 295W with Wi-Fi and Camera Built In

My apologies if this has been posted already but in my brief search, I didn't see it, if it was:

I've only just seen this on the Garmin Blog - looks interesting!

Garmin nüvi 295W with Wi-Fi and camera

rf-lg.jpgpd-01-lg.jpg

"Get ready to meet the perfect travel companion, the nüvi 295W. We've added some features to the Garmin GPS navigator you already know and love so that it gives road-warriors even more helpful tools. The top new features are Wi-Fi, a 3 MP camera that geotags images so you can navigate back to them, a full web browser and email client, and dual-orientation screen that lets you navigate in either portrait or landscape. The nüvi will be available in a few weeks. "

My apologies if this has been posted already but in my brief search, I didn't see it, if it was:
Strange and interesting hybrid. Form factor of a smart phone, not quite all of the better features of an automotive unit (TTS, but no speed history for routing and ETA), no water resistance for our hobby, but does employ a swappable lithium ion battery (good for 4 hours) like the 500. Use model doesn't seem to quite fit for our use, but it's certainly a new and interesting entry into the field. This market is getting really interesting, isn't it?

Think they'll ever get around to using a decent GPS chipset in a water resistant smart phone that "does it all"?

Right in it's own specs it says "Geocaching Friendly: NO" :)

It "looks" like a PDA/smartphone but it isn't.. meaning it has no actual operating system, so you probably can't "add" a Geocaching style application to it B)

It is a nice looking gadget, but PASS on it for Geocaching

Right in it's own specs it says "Geocaching Friendly: NO" :)

It "looks" like a PDA/smartphone but it isn't.. meaning it has no actual operating system, so you probably can't "add" a Geocaching style application to it B)

It is a nice looking gadget, but PASS on it for Geocaching

It has a web browser so it'll be useful to check Geocaching.com, so that's a start.

And, it's probably just the first of many like this from Garmin - I bet they'll make a "rugged and waterproof" one eventually.

I see it as the "iPad as GPS Killer".

It has a web browser so it'll be useful to check Geocaching.com, so that's a start.

Only if you're within Wi-Fi range after 1/1/2012, though. That's when MSN Direct is due to be shut down for Garmin ... and trying to get a Wi-Fi connect while caching. Well, you can see what I meant about the use model.

Only if you're within Wi-Fi range after 1/1/2012, though. That's when MSN Direct is due to be shut down for Garmin ... and trying to get a Wi-Fi connect while caching. Well, you can see what I meant about the use model.

The 295W does not rely on MSN Direct - it says so right in the specs:

FM traffic compatible: no

MSN® Direct compatible: no

I agree with what you found, but be advised that there are discrepancies on their web page. The page that shows their entire lineup reads as follows for the 295W - and since this isn't an RDS based unit, MSN Direct will be the only option for traffic, yes? Make of it what you will. Their web marketing group is having a schizophrenic moment with this one:

nüvi® 295W

Affordable, full-featured navigation

widescreen, speaks street names, preloaded

street maps for North America, optional MSN®

Direct, optional FM lifetime traffic, Where am I?,

photo navigation

(from https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134)

Edited by ecanderson

I agree with what you found, but be advised that there are discrepancies on their web page. The page that shows their entire lineup reads as follows for the 295W - and since this isn't an RDS based unit, MSN Direct will be the only option for traffic, yes? Make of it what you will. Their web marketing group is having a schizophrenic moment with this one:

nüvi® 295W

Affordable, full-featured navigation

widescreen, speaks street names, preloaded

street maps for North America, optional MSN®

Direct, optional FM lifetime traffic, Where am I?,

photo navigation

(from https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134)

It would seem a little odd that they'd still be making MSN Direct devices, unless someone's going to pick up the service when MSN drops it.

It would seem a little odd that they'd still be making MSN Direct devices, unless someone's going to pick up the service when MSN drops it.

Yes, but then again, we've been recommending the 500 to people here who insist on a combo vehicle/handheld for caching ... and that's got the same MSN Direct option -- as do a fair number of their units still in production. Beats me.

Yes, but then again, we've been recommending the 500 to people here who insist on a combo vehicle/handheld for caching ... and that's got the same MSN Direct option -- as do a fair number of their units still in production. Beats me.

I'd be happy if the service continues - I find it has some very interesting features, especially the one where you can send a route via Google or Bing maps to the gps through the MSN Direct cable while it's in the car.

I like the weather feature too.

Traffic info is useless in Canada if you don't happen to live in Toronto.