Getting the best Coordinates for cache placement

I am wondering what is the best (or correct?) way to get coordinates for placing a cache. I am interested in starting to put out some of my own but would want to test out the proper way to get coords first. I have an Oregon 400t and I know it has a waypoint averaging function, is this the best thing to use? How?

I am wondering what is the best (or correct?) way to get coordinates for placing a cache. I am interested in starting to put out some of my own but would want to test out the proper way to get coords first. I have an Oregon 400t and I know it has a waypoint averaging function, is this the best thing to use? How?
It depends a little bit on whether you are placing your cache in a "clear sky" location. Caches located underground (e.g., under bridges) and the like pose a special set of circumstances that we can discuss if you feel the need.

For most caches, just park your GPS over the cache and be sure the EPE has settled to a reasonable figure. I'd say wait to be sure you've got WAAS lock, but we're talking about an Oregon, and we know you'd like to finish up before the end of 2010 :)

If for some reason your unit is having a bad hair day (some days the satellite constellation is just out of alignment for certain spots on the earth, or perhaps you're under some REALLY heavy tree cover) and your EPE won't drop below about 20', pick another time or wait further and see if you can get things settled.

Now just hit the "Waypoint average" button and wait until the Oregon says it's satisfied that the number it is giving you is as good as it's going to get. It'll store that waypoint for you, and you can either read the coordinates right then or review the waypoint it created later with "Waypoint manager" on your Oregon.