Having to log in every 5 minutes

drives

I don't know what happened. I don't care what your excuses are, but I don't like whatever it was that has changed and caused me to have to log back in 100 times a day. It sucks....it's absurd and it's stupid and I'm sick and tired of it. Fix it.

Details like : browser version, OS, add-ons installed, would be helpful. You may also want to check your computer's clock (though that is probably pretty unlikely).

Some information that may or may not be helpful:

Your session information is stored in a cookie, so if you delete the cookie, or if you don't accept cookies, you're not going to stay logged in. If you (or someone else using your account) log out of another computer, all session cookies turn invalid.

Edited by Chrysalides
I don't know what happened. I don't care what your excuses are, but I don't like whatever it was that has changed and caused me to have to log back in 100 times a day. It sucks....it's absurd and it's stupid and I'm sick and tired of it. Fix it.

Gee, maybe if you were nice I'd tell you to go delete the cookie and then login again and check save the information.

Do you order everyone around like that?

I find I have to log in frequently too. Not sure why, but it is annoying (not that I would have worded my complaint the the petulant manner of the OP).

It usually happens when I bounce between the forums and the main site or open a new tab in FF to access the main site from the forums.

Edited by briansnat

Yeah, that would suck. But you'll probably have to give more details since that is not affecting most of us.

Not necessarily if he does not use the "remember me" option when logging in. Most cachers I know use this option. I do not use it and I observed a similar behaviour during the last months (five minutes might be exxagerated). In my case the behaviour is the same regardless of which computer I am using and which operating system. It happened under Unix/Linux, Windows XP, Windows Vista and several browsers (including Firefox and Mozilla).

I remember a time (about two years ago) when I kept being logged on even for a whole day. Nowadays it does not even work for one hour. (No, I am not willing to use the "remember me" option). It is not a cookie problem - I am accepting cookies and I do not have this type of problem with any other site.

Cezanne

This appears to be a new issue in the last 24 hours for me as well. Using IE, I'm having no problem staying logged in each visit but with Firefox I can't stay logged in even with cookies turned on and occasionally even after logging in some things would be missing such as caches on my watch list.

This appears to be a new issue in the last 24 hours for me as well. Using IE, I'm having no problem staying logged in each visit but with Firefox I can't stay logged in even with cookies turned on and occasionally even after logging in some things would be missing such as caches on my watch list.
I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 and do not have this problem.
I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 and do not have this problem.

Me as well... I've never had that problem. Also, one good thing about Firefox is you have the option to save your password, so even if you do have to log back in, the information is filled in for you and you don't have to type it.

I would check to see if you have cookies enabled, that's really the only explanation for it. If this doesn't really happen to anyone else then it's not the web Developers' fault.

I may be quick to defend Web Developers because I am one, but honestly, I am 99.999999% sure that the web developers are Groundspeak would not change something about the website to require that you log in every time you change a page. That would be pretty ridiculous.

Me as well... I've never had that problem. Also, one good thing about Firefox is you have the option to save your password, so even if you do have to log back in, the information is filled in for you and you don't have to type it.

I would check to see if you have cookies enabled, that's really the only explanation for it. If this doesn't really happen to anyone else then it's not the web Developers' fault.

I may be quick to defend Web Developers because I am one, but honestly, I am 99.999999% sure that the web developers are Groundspeak would not change something about the website to require that you log in every time you change a page. That would be pretty ridiculous.

Unlike the OP I'm not really pointing blame, just trying to figure it out. As I said, cookies are enabled. Everything was working fine until yesterday (or the day before) and I've made no changes on my end that I am aware of. Odd that IE is working fine and only FF has this issue.

Edited by Pax42

Unlike the OP I'm not really pointing blame, just trying to figure it out. As I said, cookies are enabled. Everything was working fine until yesterday and I've made no changes on my end that I am aware of. Odd that IE is working fine and only FF has this issue.

I'm aware, my post was directed at the OP, sorry, I could have been more clear.

I had a look at the period for which the cookies sent by gc.com are valid. Among the cookies there is one called _umtb and that one is valid only for 30 minutes and I guess it causes the problems in my case.

At least all other cookies are valid for a longer time. I do not have any problems with getting logged onto the forum for a longer period - the problem occurs just for the main site and it is not a new problem in my case.

When does the _umtb cookie expire for those users who do not experience any problems with getting logged out and which do not use the remember me option?

Cezanne

When does the _umtb cookie expire for those users who do not experience any problems with getting logged out and which do not use the remember me option?

30 minutes for _umtb and _umtc.

Login is probably controlled by cookie ASP.NET_SessionId (expires in 2038)? Same value is in _qca.

Login is probably controlled by cookie ASP.NET_SessionId (expires in 2038)? Same value is in _qca.

For ASP.NET_SessionId, however, the value on my computers is "at the end of the session" which sounds ok.

Do you use the remember me option?

Cezanne

For ASP.NET_SessionId, however, the value on my computers is "at the end of the session" which sounds ok.

Yes, I do.

Then your case is different. I'd be interested whether someone who does not use this option and who uses Firefox stays logged in for longer periods than about 30 minutes.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Yes, I do.

Then your case is different. I'd be interested whether someone who does not use this option and who uses Firefox stays logged in for longer periods than about 30 minutes.

Cezanne

Clicking 'remember me' is what sets the cookie. That shouldn't be affected by what browser you use.

Clicking 'remember me' is what sets the cookie. That shouldn't be affected by what browser you use.

(1) The session cookie is present on my computer although I do not use the "remember me" option.

The remember me option probably sends a different cookie.

(2) I am not willing to use the "remember me" option.

(3) I have never used the "remember me" option. Nevertheless, I did not get logged out so soon (after about 30 minutes) in earlier times and stayed logged on for hours or even for days. So it appears to me that something has been changed and I am not happy about that that change. Moreover, I would like to understand what has been changed to cause the different behaviour and why it has been changed.

Cezanne

Why not?

I run across a LOT of people that refuse to use "remember me"options on sites, but I've never heard a rational explanation (I'm making an assumption that your not on a public computer).

Why not?

I run across a LOT of people that refuse to use "remember me"options on sites, but I've never heard a rational explanation (I'm making an assumption that your not on a public computer).

Except in rare cases (mainly when traveling) I am not using a public computer, but from time to time I allow others to use the computers which I am using for accessing gc.com. I prefer systems which keep me logged on if I do not choose to logout excplicitely. By the way, it is interesting that on the Groundspeak forums I stay logged in as long as I want without using the "remember me" option. Only the gc.com site does not behave in the way I would like it.

Cezanne

I prefer systems which keep me logged on if I do not choose to logout excplicitely.
This is EXACTLY what the "remember me" option is about. So I guess I repeat the question, why not use it?

By the way, it is interesting that on the Groundspeak forums I stay logged in as long as I want
Different software, different system, gc didn't write this software, so the same mentalities don't carry over.

Why not?

The whole purpose of the Remember Me option is to just that, remember someone.

Many sites use them, including some popular social networks. Whether it's done automatically or with a remember me option, the site is simply creating a cookie to remember who you are when you return to the system.

If someone is using a public computer, with the sites that automatically remember users, people have to specifically remember to log out before closing the browser or risk someone having full access to their account since all someone has to do is got to that site and be logged in with the previous users info.

With the remember me option, unless someone specifically checks the box to do that, the site will ask for a login when the browser is closed.

Edited by Skippermark

Why not?

The whole purpose of the Remember Me option is to just that, remember someone.

Many sites use them, including some popular social networks. Whether it's done automatically or with a remember me option, the site is simply creating a cookie to remember who you are when you return to the system.

If someone is using a public computer, with the sites that automatically remember users, people have to specifically remember to log out before closing the browser or risk someone having full access to their account since all someone has to do is got to that site and be logged in with the previous users info.

With the remember me option, unless someone specifically checks the box to do that, the site will ask for a login when the browser is closed.

Exactly, and it shouldn't have anything to do with which browser you choose. If you ask most people; you will find that probably over 90% of them stay logged on as long as they wish whether they are using IE, FF, Opera, Safari, Chrome, or whatever other browser they might be using. Most likely there is some setting in your browser that got unknowingly changed.

The only thing I can think of to make the website itself cause your logging in problems is if the session handling were changed somehow. As someone who works with PHP, I'm not terribly familiar with the way that ASP handles sessions...

For those that are having logout problems, have you checked your settings for updates to your OS and your browser(s)? It is possible you got an update that changed something without you knowing it. For this reason, I do not allow any updates unless I approve them. I also ALWAYS make a backup of the system before updating.

Not trying to add fuel to anyone's fire, as you can see to your left I'm just a tadpole!

First off, I'm surprised anyone offered words of wisdom, with such a poor attitude given by the OP.

I am using FireFox on my work PC so i do not check the "Remember me" option. FF version 3.5.9 with the option to accept all cookies (including 3rd party) and to remove all cookies when the browser is closed. I looked at all cookies currently stored and found everyone from geocaching.com, Groundspeak.com, and forums.Groundspeak.com are set to expire "at end of session".

When i login to GC.com my time out period is around 15 minutes. As I am a new member to GC i read a lot of FAQ's, guidelines, and other items between work calls, so the page is always open in the background. I dont think anyone but the OP is trying to place blame. i would just like to see if there is a reason or something i can change to help.

Below are the cookies from GC.com, all which say: Expire: At the end of session

ASP.NET_sessionId

_utmc

_utma

_qca

_utmz

Edited with the below information:

No updates to FF have been made in the last 3 months (+/-)

My OS is set to update only when instructed (i still have pending updates)

Edited by Caching_Campers

Exactly, and it shouldn't have anything to do with which browser you choose. If you ask most people; you will find that probably over 90% of them stay logged on as long as they wish

It appears that for the gc.com site this is not true unless you ask people who chose the remember me option.

whether they are using IE, FF, Opera, Safari, Chrome, or whatever other browser they might be using. Most likely there is some setting in your browser that got unknowingly changed.

No, certainly not. Moreover, I am observing the same behaviour on different computers (in my home country and other countries) running different OS and using different browers. The only common fact is that I do not use the "remember me" option.

I used to stay logged on on gc.com some time ago (more than a year ago at least) with the same behaviour (that is without using "remember me" options) and I am still staying logged on this forum if I do not log out myself.

The only thing I can think of to make the website itself cause your logging in problems is if the session handling were changed somehow.

That's one possible cause, indeed.

Cezanne

By the way, it is interesting that on the Groundspeak forums I stay logged in as long as I want
Different software, different system, gc didn't write this software, so the same mentalities don't carry over.

In earlier years, the gc.com web site did not throw out people after such a short period of time which often does not even suffice for completing a single log (if one is busy with several things at the same time).

So if its is a mentality issue, the mentality of those in charge of the software of gc.com must have changed and it would be interesting to get to know why.

Cezanne

It depends. Often information such as passwords are stored as well and a site like gc.com is not to be trusted in any way in this respect (e.g. gc.com sents along passwords in unencrypted manner - try the forgotten password procedure and you might be surprised).

That's true, but touches a different issue. If I allow a friend to use one of my computers for a few minutes, I am not closing my browser (typically I have ten or more tabs open at the same time). This is a different situation than on a public computer.

I am trusting my friends, but still I feel more comfortable if I am the only one who has access to my gc.com account.

Cezanne

In earlier years, the gc.com web site did not throw out people after such a short period of time which often does not even suffice for completing a single log (if one is busy with several things at the same time).

So if its is a mentality issue, the mentality of those in charge of the software of gc.com must have changed and it would be interesting to get to know why.

Cezanne

It still doesn't - at least not me.

4 differnet PC using Win vista or Win 7 and IE 7 or IE 8 or FF.

Cezanne

Wow! That doesn't sound fun. I've not heard of that happening to anyone else, and I'm not sure why that would be happening... hmm.

Just to make sure that we are talking of the same thing: You do not use the "remember me" option and still get logged in on gc.com for more than roughly 30 minutes?

Cezanne

Just to make sure that we are talking of the same thing: You do not use the "remember me" option and still get logged in on gc.com for more than roughly 30 minutes?

Cezanne

Unless it is somehow a public PC I cannot fathom why you would not use the option but anyway - yes I stay logged in for more than 30 minutes as long as I am actively using the website. If I stop using it and let the page sit idle - then I have to log back in and that seems like perfectly normal behavior to me.

I'm having the same problem with IE8, Windows7 64-bit, cookies enabled, and remember me. Every time I navigate to another page on this site, I am prompted to log in. This just began this morning.

I had the exact same problem (same setup as you as well). Just one day, the site decided not to remember me anymore. Although there's probably a more surgical way to fix it, what worked for me is:

IE8 -> Tools -> Internet Options

On the 'General' tab, click "Delete..." under browsing history. Make sure everything is checked EXCEPT for "Preserve Favorites Website Data" - that seemed to be the magic bullet. Then click "delete".

Anyways, I've had the problem occur one additional time - but I couldn't figure out what I did to cause it. I'd suspect that there's a MAGOR bug somewhere in IE8....