New style cache

Hello all,

I am a long time lurker and I really enjoy reading the thoughts and comments of individuals in these forums. I am contemplating what I think is a unique cache and would like your thoughts on it...

Please let me know if this is a cache that would clear review, if not how would/could it be changed to clear review? (Obviously, ignoring the any location issues)

I would like feedback before I go to the effort of creating this complicated cache....I think it would be considered a multi-stage puzzle challenge cache.

First stage will be a cache with a log book, you sign and date this log book and post a note on the cache page that states you have found the 1st stage of the cache. At this point your complete the challenge which is to find as many caches in the area, where the combined D/T ratings must exceed 100 points (1 point for each star)...I am thinking of adding a time limit as to when you must complete the challange by...

On the cache page will be a puzzle (numeric crossword), when you complete the challenge portion of the cache, you then post a note on the cache page stating the caches completed and their ratings after the initial note that was posted. Then you will be emailed the numerics which will be used to solve the puzzle...from this puzzle you will be able to determine the coordinates of 2nd and final stage. This final stage will be a large ammo can full of "good" swag. Once you sign the logbook of the final stage you can claim your smiley

Thoughts/comments? Does it sound like a fun cache to attempt?

Edited by Fonty Family

My first impression is that there are too many hoops to jump through.

After rereading your post a couple of times, I thought I got it. Then I didn't get it.

You really lost me at "find as many caches in the area, where the combined D/T ratings must exceed 100 points". I've found most of the caches in the area. Don't I get to play?

I have to post a note after finding stage one and another after listing my 100 points worth of caches. Then I get the info from you to figure out the puzzle. Ok, I sort of get it again...

Too many hoops to jump through.

It's not that different than many other challenge caches, but I don't see the purpose of the 1st cache.

You would have a challenge cache set up to "earn" 100 points based on the star values (difficulty/terrain) of caches you find. There are plenty that say find only count after publication of the cache date to start everyone at the same time.

I've seen many challenge caches that require finders to create a bookmark for verification by the owner before they're given the final coordinates. I don't see a reason to create a puzzle out of it. A finder compiles their list of 100 points, contacts you (directly or through posting a note), then you give them the final coordinates. Work with your local reviewer to make sure this part is still ok.

Details here:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=206

ALR is an "additional logging requirement". They were previously allowed on general caches. "You can't log this find until you submit a picture of you standing on your head. If you log without the picture, your log will be deleted". Those are no longer allowed.

The definition is on the support page as well as the best geocaching glossary - GeoLex

KoosKoos Quote"You would have a challenge cache set up to "earn" 100 points based on the star values (difficulty/terrain) of caches you find. There are plenty that say find only count after publication of the cache date to start everyone at the same time.

I've seen many challenge caches that require finders to create a bookmark for verification by the owner before they're given the final coordinates. I don't see a reason to create a puzzle out of it. A finder compiles their list of 100 points, contacts you (directly or through posting a note), then you give them the final coordinates. Work with your local reviewer to make sure this part is still ok."

Thanks for the ARL Definition. with your description above this sounds like alot of fun(removing the puzzle is my favorite part). The only thing I would like to see changed is allowing the cacher to acquire thier 100pts anywhere or define a much larger area, such as the state of washington or within city limits(e.g. Seattle and list the 9 acceptable zip codes that cache could be found) This would be more fair for those that have covered thier local maps with smileys and encourage you to go hunt in a new area. I would love a reason to rack up 100 stars within a time frame and it would be a very rewarding Final Cache/FTF.

Edited by TEAM RIPFISH

I'm not seeing the problem....

Stage 1, player finds a specific traditional cache and logs it. This establishes the starting date for Stage 2 challenge. I don't think logging a find is an ALR. Those that don't log on-line could still try and find the next stages.

Stage 2, player completes the challenge of 100 D/T points, either 50 1D/1T caches, 10 5D/5T or some combination in between to arrive at 100 points and logs the caches and provides proof to CO that challenge was met (a list of caches they found after Stage 1 that add up to 100 D/T points) This proof is not an ALR, you could log the challenge once you find the cache, you just would not get the key-hint for stage 3.

Stage 3, the mystery puzzle. A puzzle 'almost' impossible to solve without receiving the key-hint for completing the challenge stage. This is the 'good' cache with all the nifty swag.

Sounds fun to me.

Stage 1, player finds a specific traditional cache and logs it. This establishes the starting date for Stage 2 challenge. I don't think logging a find is an ALR. Those that don't log on-line could still try and find the next stages.

yeah, but all it takes is a few whiners declaring that to be an ALR. if it were here, someone would post the copy of the guidelines in their log just to make sure they get their smiley.... can't have any "unfound" caches in 100 miles now can we?

Sounds fun to me.

absolutely sounds fun. sounds like it might be too hard for me to complete... but fun to attempt.

Then you will be emailed the numerics which will be used to solve the puzzle

That is a violation of the guidelines. All information to find the cache must be on the cache page.

Ditto. You have to post the required info on the cache page unless it's a puzzle cache.

Then you will be emailed the numerics which will be used to solve the puzzle

That is a violation of the guidelines. All information to find the cache must be on the cache page.

Ditto. You have to post the required info on the cache page unless it's a puzzle cache.

umm, it says its a puzzle in the 1st quote. I believe the OP is refering to a key that would be emailed to help solve the puzzle, not the coordinates to the puzzle cache.

Look it more along the lines if you complete the challenge cache you will receive a really good hint to solve the final mystery cache. People would still be able to attempt the puzzle without the hint and log the puzzle without the hint, if they managed to find the actual cache and sign the physical log. So it is not an ALR.