Can I Claim a Find?

catcher24

Went to find NC1791 today. It is inside a fenced area (reservoir). I saw the concrete posts, and was able to visually see the bench mark as well as the two reference marks; unfortunately, due to the angle, I was unable to read them even with binoculars. Can they be claimed as a "find"? Incidentally, the bench mark also had a witness post associated with it - the first witness post I have seen. Also, I attempted to locate the azimuth reference. Since the most recent recovery in 1995, the corner area referenced has been completely redone to accommodate wheelchairs, so the curbs, concrete monument and disk are all gone, and the sign post referenced is now on the opposite corner.

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

[This message was edited by catcher24 on April 12, 2003 at 08:08 PM.]

If you follow the 'letter of the law' the answer would be no. You were unable to see the the cap, and read any markings to verify that the cap you found was in fact the one you were looking for. This verification is especially important in areas where there has been recent construction or other activity that may have that may have damaged, destroyed or removed the benchmark. There are times where benchmarks get replaced, and what you find is NOT what you are looking for.

On the other hand... there are times when you could probably call it a find when you can't clearly see the cap. These are usually in areas where there has been little or no activity that could have changed the mark. Ultimately, this is a judgement call you have to make. I have found a few like this: just over the fence, out of reach, but I could tell for certain that it was the right cap by the condition of the surroundings.

Likewise, I've been able to touch others, but they have been so damaged that I couldn't verify them. I had to log those as 'Not Found' or just post a note.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

Yeah; do the "note" thing, and detail what you saw and how close you got, etc. Post photos if you have any: that would help a lot, actually. At the least, you'll have a record, and future hunters will know what you saw. Often, a "failure" is just as important, even moreso, than a success.

There is one thing that might help you. Often, in the case of a BM that has been recovered several times, there will be a spray-painted circle around the disk or whatever, as well as numbers just under or above the mark. If you can see anything like this, and if the numbers match what you are hunting for, you can claim a find, as the authorities have verified it. I did this on one BM in town that I could not see because of support timbers for a RR bridge that covered it. But there was a spray-painted circle on the top timber right above where the disk was, with the disk's number right next to the circle. I photographed all of this to support my claim of a "find". Good thing, too; they are doing massive freeway construction over that spot now, and who knows what will remain when they are done in two-plus years? icon_rolleyes.gif

So many caches; so few pairs of decent shoes

Thanks for the replies. I will not claim a find, but will leave a note. This is a fenced-in city reservoir, untouched by construction for many years, so I'm sure this is the right BM and two RM, but just can't read them! The posts they are set in have obviously been there many years.

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

Tech - Good idea. I do know Randy Peterson (the foreman mentioned in the description), so maybe if I give him the info, he will read them for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Catcher24