A milestone ... or mile-pebble

I've been heading for a milestone, my 2900th cache. Today, I got number 2899. It was a nano just stuck on a sign. It took longer to park than to make the grab. Later, I sat down at the computer to look for something special for #2900. However, as I started to look, I saw one lone cache on an otherwise clear area of the map on GC.com. So, I looked at it ... and realized I'd already found it, but had failed to log it.

Which means that the crummy little #2899 was really #2900. Some milestone.

I've been messing up .1K milestones since our 100th. I gave up trying to keep it right. I pick out a destination cache for the day and regardless of how the numbers work out, that one becomes the milestone.

I have a friend that's a bit OCD and can't figure out how I can be comfortable doing it that way. :)

I've been heading for a milestone, my 2900th cache. Today, I got number 2899. It was a nano just stuck on a sign. It took longer to park than to make the grab. Later, I sat down at the computer to look for something special for #2900. However, as I started to look, I saw one lone cache on an otherwise clear area of the map on GC.com. So, I looked at it ... and realized I'd already found it, but had failed to log it.

Which means that the crummy little #2899 was really #2900. Some milestone.

But wait a minute... I thought people placed nano's on signs because they like finding them. Oops, wrong thread, never mind. :)

Well, I'll let you slide. But don't let it happen for the big 3 oh oh oh, OK?

Haven't you ever celebrated New Year's Eve at 3:00 am? (Or if you have kids, at 8:00 pm?)

Haven't you ever adjusted the order of logging your day's finds so you could compliment a good cache with a '00 find?

Haven't you ever conveniently forgotten past lovers when in the presence of your current one? (You're #1, Hon!)

~~~

Congrats on your milestone!

~~~

PS: One of my milestones, according to a bud who was keeping track on our road trip. (My accounting varies...)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Haven't you ever celebrated New Year's Eve at 3:00 am? (Or if you have kids, at 8:00 pm?)

It's always 3:00AM or 8:00PM somewhere in the world.

I was out in California when I was approaching my 600th find. I found a particular cache that I targeted for my 600th find and needed about 8 caches when I started out in the morning. I wrote down each find as I found it along with the number then went after that target cache. It actually showed up as my 600th find for awhile but somehow I had a find deleted so now it's showing up as #599.

That cache, as it turns out, was a nano. It's located just outside a club where the very first pong game was installed. I was working for Atari just a short time after that event happened building/testing the first home version of Pong so even though it was a nano the location had some significance for me.

I'm currently at 999 finds and was told that a golden ammo is going to be placed for my 1000th find. Hopefully it'll go out this weekend because I'm speaking at a conference in Illinois on Monday and flying into Indy so that I can do some cacheing in both states on the way.

I like the idea of having my milestone be whichever cache I "naturally" found in that order, rather than planning it. Each cache is a good time (... OK, MOST caches), otherwise I wouldn't bother finding them!

I agree with other posters: Congrats on your milestone and look forward to 3000! :)

What difference does it make? If finding the nano bothered you that much than stop searching for LPC's and the like.

I do not understand this concept at all. What is the difference between cache 12, 200, 632, 1000, or 1001? Nothing except the order of your finds.

My wife had a great idea about a milestone of ours.

sam0409c.jpg

Yep. Numbers is just counting. If we were like cartoon characters we'd be doing our counting in OCTAL.

Have some fun with the numbers along the way, rather than just the nice round ones.

My 1234th find was a CITO

and just yesterday I became ... leet.png

p|-|33r my m4d c4c|-|1n6 5ki112 d00d2!

Yep. Numbers is just counting. If we were like cartoon characters we'd be doing our counting in OCTAL.

Have some fun with the numbers along the way, rather than just the nice round ones.

it hurts my brain trying to read that last line... i must be old. :)

it hurts my brain trying to read that last line... i must be old. :)

Oh stewardess, I speak jive leet. Allow me to translate:

Found: 1337 = Found: LEET.

And the last line says "Fear my mad caching skills, dudes!"

Ha! I celebrated my "Leet" cache as well :)

The decryption link no longer works, but my log should be easy enough to read- if you're 1337, that is.

Log

Wow !!!!! I found my 25th yesterday and I had found before. I didn't log

the book because I couldn't opem the container. ( was a April fools day ) cache and the requirements was to LOG online ONLY if you could

get to the log book. I had to delete my first online log and yesterday I went back to get the box opem. I end up been the FTF on a new log book.

Thanks to my mistake first time or to the owner that told me delete

my log that day....

As a mathematician friend of mine once said, "a milestone is just a round number in the decimal system". There are other numbering systems besides decimal. Try 256, 1024, etc instead. :)

That milestone after 1024 is a real killer.

Yeah, I personally like using "power of two" milestones.