Benchmarks underground?

azog

Some of the benchmarks near me state that they're on a round concrete post, 0.33ft (4 inches) below ground (see KV6562 for example).

It's really close to my house, and I'm well aquainted with the road. I didn't even need the GPSr. When I arrived, I found all the landmarks specified, but did not find the benchmark. Nothing's changed in this area since 1993, the last recovery.

As a side-note: the topomaps for this area are ~30 years outdated. They show an airport, but that was blocked in the '60s. I realize the USGS doesn't have unlimited resources, I just find it mildly humorous.

"Wan't" and "differen't" are not words.

I've seen them where they are placed to allow the dirt and grass to grow over them, so they become hiden. Is there grass there? Did you poke around in the dirt? I just found one recently that I looked at the spot and kept on looking and only after 5 minutes or so did I really dig out the dirt to realize that is where it was. It least that one was fairly obvious, there was a witness post right next to it.

I was out yesturday benchmarking and I am pretty sure I was standing right on top of a survey disk.

What would make a good stand up probing tool?

I want to return to this site again but I want to be subtle as I can. It's close to a busy road and it's between a residence and a bussiness.

Also what do you usually tell someone if you ask for permission to remove some of the grass or covering? I would think if they knew you were just playing a sport most people would just tell you to get lost.

j.

massillon ohio

stark county skywarn

packet radio, aprs

long haul 802.11b, warchalking

linux, os x

geocaching

geodashing

gps art

recumbent bikes

extreme kites

Well, I went back to this particular one today, but did not have anymore luck than my previous visit. I had a tape measure with me, so I could mark out the landmarks given, and I suspect I was also standing right on top of it.

I have a walking stick in my car, so I used that as a probe. More like tapping on the ground. There is some grass in the area, but where my indications lead me, it was fairly hardpacked dirt and gravel. Probably overflow from when the road was paved.

Of course, I realize that the coordinates given may not be correct, so I did extend my search outwards from my suspected ground-zero point.

I'm still gonna log it as a "not found", tho, and upload the pix which I took.

There is another marker just up the road from this one, the same description is given (a round concrete post, 0.33ft underground). I'll see if I can make headway with that.

If you measure the reference distances from the description and they come to one spot, that should be it. If you are in a public right-of-way, you are free to break out your shovel and start digging. If you are on someones property inquire with the owner or move on. Reporting a marker as not found without digging for it is misleading and should be avoided.

I think you should always attempt to probe for the marker before digging. Around here I have found some utilities burried very close to the surface (telephone less than 3 inches). If you break out the shovel and cut or damage a utility (and get caught) you could be in for some serious fines (on public or private land). I would never dig unless I was positive the area was clear.

Just my thoughts on the subject

I have discovered 2 or more survey markers while hiking. I log their location in my dairy. I have looked them up @ the benchmark page and only found one listed, so I assume the others are county or regional. Also how do I go about registering my finds? I can't find a place to list my finds!! icon_confused.gif

I have discovered 2 or more survey markers while hiking. I log their location in my dairy. I have looked them up @ the benchmark page and only found one listed, so I assume the others are county or regional. Also how do I go about registering my finds? I can't find a place to list my finds!! icon_confused.gif

I'm actually thinking about getting one of those walking measuring wheels. Home Despot seems to sell them. Most of these benchmarks seem to detail local landmarks, and I suspect the wheel will help me pin it down. I had a hard time wrestling with a measuring tape across the road...

quote:
Originally posted by novato-joe:

If you mean "official" registry, try:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FORMS_PROCESSING-cgi-bin/recvy_entry_www.prl

I'm actually thinking about getting one of those walking measuring wheels. Home Despot seems to sell them. Most of these benchmarks seem to detail local landmarks, and I suspect the wheel will help me pin it down. I had a hard time wrestling with a measuring tape across the road...

quote:
Originally posted by novato-joe:

If you mean "official" registry, try:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FORMS_PROCESSING-cgi-bin/recvy_entry_www.prl

Just one concern using that out in the woods- The benchmark info gives straight line distance. There will be some error using the wheel, because you'll never wheel off a perfectly straight line, and going over each rock or stick or root will alter the distance a bit. Enough to be a few inches off after a while....

12199_1800.jpg

Keithpilot

The Yellow Dog Project

N43 10.00374

W070 54.87366

Thats correct, in fact, you can get off several feet, not only from not going in a straight line, but also from going uphill or downhill. As you measure on a slope you have to add to the distance an amount proportional to how much the ground is rising or declining as you go, since all distances in surveying are measured horizontally, not along the ground. The wheel works well only in flat areas without obstacles.

I never considered all that. It seemed like such a perfect device! What would be a good way to make accurate measurements? I didn't like draping a rolling tape measure across the road. It was just unwieldly, and was only a 12' measure.

I'm thinking that measurement is the best way to go, once I can get the landmarks identified. Don't rely on the GPS readouts. I figure the people who placed these are surveyors and must have a high accuracy to begin with.

Why am I bothering so much? So far, one out of four benchmarks I looked for I have found. Another one is just like this one, and the fourth seems to be under ground-cover. But accurate measuring would enable me to at least know I was near, or several feet off.

Get a 100 foot tape. But dont try to measure from an object across a road all at one time. Measure from the object to the far edge of the road, then the width of the road when traffic allows, then the remainder of the distance from the near edge of the road to the marker, and pull the tape tight and hold it as nearly level as you can. You may need to pound a nail in the ground and hook the tape on it in order to do this.