What GPS should I start with? ~$300

I plan on walking into REI tomorrow and buying one. Any tips before I go?

I had a Geomate Jr. that I returned. It doesn't have the features I want.

What I want (for around $300):

-ability to load geocaches, earthcaches, waypoints, and other latatude/longitude locations.

-doesn't need to have driving directions (we have a car gps), but trail maps for hiking would be good

-paperless caching isn't necessary; we will be using this in the US (with a trip to Hawaii coming).

That's it! I can work around all other functions. I have looked at the reviews, forums, and other sites, but there is so much information, I am overwhelmed. I would prefer that a couple people just tell me what I should buy, and then I can compare two or three.

Edited by beccalavelle

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Bass Pro sale on the 60CSx, for $199.

Bass Pro site

Also, others have reported you can get it even cheaper this way:

Use $20 off coupon code : SAVE20A

After shipping the total was about $194!

Apparently you can also go into the BP stores and they will honour the web price.

BP must be clearing shelf space for the soon to be released 62 models...

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

You can also find the Garmin vista hcx for around $200. If you have a smartphone you can do the paperless aspect of the hobby with that. GSAK imports pocket queries to the unit without any special settings to tweak.

Don't know anything about the nice lookin' oregon series though. Nice but higher cost of course.

Do any of these come pre-loaded with topographical or trail maps?

Or are there cheaper resources for these?

I am leaning toward the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx from Bass Pro Shops right now, for the quality and the great price.

For Garmin units, you can download free maps from na1400 and GPSFileDepot.

The Garmin units that come with pre-loaded maps are the units ending with "t" (e.g. Oregon 450t). It's about $100 extra for the 100k topo maps, not a good value in my opinion.

To me, the biggest disadvantage of the 60csx is that it is not a paperless unit. Rumor also has it that a paperless version is going to be available, date unknown.

For Garmin units, you can download free maps from na1400 and GPSFileDepot.

The Garmin units that come with pre-loaded maps are the units ending with "t" (e.g. Oregon 450t). It's about $100 extra for the 100k topo maps, not a good value in my opinion.

To me, the biggest disadvantage of the 60csx is that it is not a paperless unit. Rumor also has it that a paperless version is going to be available, date unknown.

Is it that important to go paperless? I letterbox as well, so I will always have some paper with me anyways. I just print it out into mini-notebook sized pages.

Is it that important to go paperless? I letterbox as well, so I will always have some paper with me anyways. I just print it out into mini-notebook sized pages.

How important it is depends on your caching style. Note that paperless works best with a premium membership.

Being paperless essentially allows you to:

1. Just load tons (in this case, tons = 5000) of geocaches onto your unit without having to look through them first. This allows you to pull out your GPSr any time and look for nearby geocaches, without paying for the monthly plan of a smartphone.

2. When you're hunting for a geocache, you have with you the description, size, terrain, difficulty, hints, past logs.

3. You can mark it as found (or not found) and jot down some short notes. When you get back, upload this file and it will help with your logging.

You can, theoretically, convert a letterbox description into a GPX file and load it onto the unit as well.

Edited by Chrysalides

Bass Pro site

Apparently you can also go into the BP stores and they will honour the web price.

WOW, Thanks Dr Jeckyl

I have been trying to decide between Vista HCx, Triton 1500, DeLorme PN-40

At $194.89 Delivered I think the Garmin 60CSx is a No-Brainer I JUST ORDERED IT

Thanks Again !!!

Joe

Bass Pro site

WOW, Thanks Dr Jeckyl

Thanks Again !!!

Joe

Did you see that it was back-ordered? hopefully it comes in the next week or so!

I plan on walking into REI tomorrow and buying one. Any tips before I go?

I had a Geomate Jr. that I returned. It doesn't have the features I want.

What I want (for around $300):

-ability to load geocaches, earthcaches, waypoints, and other latatude/longitude locations.

-doesn't need to have driving directions (we have a car gps), but trail maps for hiking would be good

-paperless caching isn't necessary; we will be using this in the US (with a trip to Hawaii coming).

That's it! I can work around all other functions. I have looked at the reviews, forums, and other sites, but there is so much information, I am overwhelmed. I would prefer that a couple people just tell me what I should buy, and then I can compare two or three.

I just received REI's Sale Catalog. Starting May 20th the 60CSX will be on sale for 199.95. Along with REI's great return policy this is an awsome deal for anyone wanting a 60CSX. The Dakota 20 with CD topo map bundle will also be on sale for $249.

OldA'sFan

I just received REI's Sale Catalog. Starting May 20th the 60CSX will be on sale for 199.95. Along with REI's great return policy this is an awsome deal for anyone wanting a 60CSX. The Dakota 20 with CD topo map bundle will also be on sale for $249.

OldA'sFan

Great tip! I wanted to buy one from REI, but this was such a good deal! I will cancel my order and go pick on up on Thursday!

OldA'sFan

Great tip! I wanted to buy one from REI, but this was such a good deal! I will cancel my order and go pick on up on Thursday!

You're going to pay $20 more at REI - don't forget the coupon code you used...

Not that it make any difference to me, if that's what you want to do. :)

$20 more on the price, and $15 less for shipping. Also, as a REI member, I will get 1% of that back next year.

And REI's return policy makes it worth the extra $10, not to mention I will get it right away (on Thursday) instead of waiting!

$20 more on the price, and $15 less for shipping. Also, as a REI member, I will get 1% of that back next year.

And REI's return policy makes it worth the extra $10, not to mention I will get it right away (on Thursday) instead of waiting!

x2! Sometimes its worth a little more to have that extra confidence if something does go wrong or you just don't like it its easy to return it. I love REI!

Bass Pro site

WOW, Thanks Dr Jeckyl

Thanks Again !!!

Joe

Did you see that it was back-ordered? hopefully it comes in the next week or so!

YES, I saw it was back ordered BUT I called and the guy on the phone told me there was only like 35 on back order so I ordered it, Then the next morning (after Dr Jeckyl's post about the deal) I called and the lady said there were like 80 on back order, they should be here any day now (they said most likely by the 20th)

So I am at about 35 and I think Dr Jeckyl was before 35 (we should ship in the first order)

THANKS !!

Joe

Edited by CiociolaGeoCaching

Bass Pro site

They didn't honor it today. I bought one in Omaha and they almost had to call headquarters to see if price was right at $199.95. It was a $399 unit marked down to $199 and it set off red alerts that it wasn't a mistake. Then they told me the "save20a" was if you ordered online, so I paid $213 after taxes. I at least have a new one and not a used one at close to same price as some have for sale on here and EBay

How does the Magellan eXplorist GC compare to the 60 CSx? Any glaring reason to get one over the other? I was about to order the Magellan one till I ran into this topic lol

Two extremely different units.

The 60CSx is the all-around-balanced/does-almost-everything unit. Add in maps, get turn-by-turn navigation, etc... Although it does support some Geocaching features, it's not paperless.

The eXplorist GC doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation nor the ability to change the map ("yet", according to Magellan), but it's truly paperless. It was designed and developed with Geocaching in mind. You can filter and sort caches on multiple parameters, see descriptions, hints, and logs; and with GPX 1.0.1 even some pictures.

Both are extremely accurate and at the top of their leagues. It all depends whether you want paperless or additional maps and turn-by-turn navigation. It also depends on what you already have. I know a lot of Geocachers with the 60CSx that use a seperate device for "paperless", such as an iPhone/iPod Touch or Blackberry.

There are more expensive units that essentially combine both. It all comes down to features and budget.