Paint Ammo Box Before Placing Cache?

ConRed

I bought my first ammo box to place as a cache recently. It has those military markings on it and I know I should get those off before I place my cache, but I'm not sure which direction I should approach that from.

Should spray paint off just those marking areas of the box, should I spray paint (and cammo) the whole box, or should just packing tape the "Official Geocaching.com" paper over them?

Thanks for the help, I want to solve all my problems before they become problems! :blink:

A number of solvents will remove those markings. I use lacquer thinner. If you have any around the house you might give them a try. I hear lighter fluid works - it's not something I have so I've never used it.

I tend to hit cans with flat black paint. Nothing fancy, just some diagonal lines to break up the hard edge outline of the can.

I've seen some beautifully painted cans, done in the correct colors for their resting places. rnrgrl in SE FL did some cans in rather strong oranges, yellows and rust. Sitting on your patio, they'd hardly look camo'ed.

In situ, among the grasses and fallen leaves, very effective.

Need to add: Moreso than just painting it as camouflage, the absolute best thing is to paint it with something that has no glare. Most types of paints designed for 'household' use, will present a glare, or shine.

Krylon® makes camouflage paints that provide ZERO glare or reflection. Assorted earth colors. Patterns and different colors here and there of course, help to break up the box outline.

I bought my first ammo box to place as a cache recently. It has those military markings on it and I know I should get those off before I place my cache, but I'm not sure which direction I should approach that from.

Should spray paint off just those marking areas of the box, should I spray paint (and cammo) the whole box, or should just packing tape the "Official Geocaching.com" paper over them?

Thanks for the help, I want to solve all my problems before they become problems! :blink:

I just put dark (non-silver) duct tape over it.

We need Ammo Can in Labrador Canada lots of Black bears

I clean all the markings off then three diffrent paint

- the Bullet hole

Placed miles from know where and a .22 found

Labrador wild man

Those are some mean bears you got up there, packing heat and all. Boy I think I'll stay out of those woods. :blink:

There's usually a bit of rust here and there that I need to sand down by hand, so I've always just used the sanding paper to lightly sand off the markings. They come off quickly and easily. I have a bit of an aversion to solvents, etc.

After that, I wash the ammo can.

I then use a flat green Krylon rust spray paint, like mentioned earlier. Sometimes I'll alternate it with another color, like a flat black for rust.

It's worked for me so far.

Edited by Ambrosia