Geocaching in China?

We're going to China next month, and I would like to find a few caches there and place some trackable items. I am worried about geocaching in a foreign country like China - I don't want any suspicious behavior to land me in jail! Does anyone have any experience or advice to share with me about geocaching in China?

Sorry I've never been their so I don't have any advice. But I hope you have a great time. Oh one thought for anyone traveling is to maybe print up some Geocaching brochures in the local language just in case. I'm sure others will have some great ideas for you.

First you could search the "All Nations" forum for "China" (I just did and looked briefly, there seems to be some helpful ones there)

I lived in China for 10 months. I road my bike around alone a lot. Could go most place, people would look but never seemed to be suspicious. But it depends ob where you are. What province are you going to?

The Chinese are very community oriented and will go out of their way to help you. I would find a local person to go with you, or a whole local family. Or just some local kids. I am not sure why you are going, but maybe you could take the opportunity to teach some kids about GPS and show them how to Geocache. They may all have cellphones with GPS in them...like I said it really depends on where you are. For example, if your around Guang Dong province (the one around Hong Kong and Macau) there will probably be very little suspicion or questioning. Around Beijing I would be more careful and ensure I had a local with me.

We're going to China next month, and I would like to find a few caches there and place some trackable items. I am worried about geocaching in a foreign country like China - I don't want any suspicious behavior to land me in jail! Does anyone have any experience or advice to share with me about geocaching in China?

I was recently in China near Beijing. I took the GPS to the Forbidden City and did a couple of vituals there. Of course this was not actually recovering a cache but using the device to navigate to certain spots within the city. upon entering the Forbidden city there are guards, but not really checking anything. I logged two virtuals there and there were others not too far from there.

First you could search the "All Nations" forum for "China" (I just did and looked briefly, there seems to be some helpful ones there)

I lived in China for 10 months. I road my bike around alone a lot. Could go most place, people would look but never seemed to be suspicious. But it depends ob where you are. What province are you going to?

We are going to Beijing, Shanghai and Xian. On the map, I see about 40 caches in Shanghai, less than 30 in Beijing. I did not see any in Xian.

Thanks for the forum advice, I'll check there.

In May of 2007 I volunteered at the Wolong Panda Preserve in Chengdu, China for two weeks before it was destroyed by the earthquake. We flew into Beijing and did some sightseeing for a couple days. I used my gps to do a couple caches and never had a problem with the gps out in the open or looking for caches. The problems were that most caches were virtuals and some of the regular caches were not well maintained.

Edited by LadeBear68