Wilmington, NC (New Hanover County) Benchmark Not Found

Tinker*Belle

12-27-02

This was the first benchmark I have attempted to find and I was not successful. I found the concrete monument that it is said to be set into the top of at the exact coordinates provided, but there was no disk in the monument. There was a hole full of dirt. I removed as much of the dirt as I could trying to uncover it, I went over 12" down and found nothing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

EA1556 New Hanover County, NC

N 34 15.91 W 77 49.561

Marker Type: horizontal control disk

Setting: set into the top of a round concrete monument

Designation: SUNOCO 1984

Thanks!

Asside from the coords, did you use any of the references from the data sheet to locate it?

Sounds like you may not be in the correct location. The GPS coords from your receiver allthough appearing correct could be off by as much as 100 meters. Its a false assumption that your handheld reciever is any more accurate to + or - 100 meters unless you are trackign WAAS sats. So, I would forget the coords and use the refenerences given to look for it. It only suppposed to be 5 cm (2 inches) below the ground surface.

I appreciate your response-- I did use all the references that were available. There were several... the distance from the center of the highway, the distance from a telephone pole, and the distance from a street light. The concrete monument was there (as described) but there was no disc. I didn't know if I should just log this as a "not found" or if I should pass along that it is not there? Thanks for your help!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by elcamino:

Asside from the coords, did you use any of the references from the data sheet to locate it?

Sounds like you may not be in the correct location. The GPS coords from your receiver allthough appearing correct could be off by as much as 100 meters. Its a false assumption that your handheld reciever is any more accurate to + or - 100 meters unless you are trackign WAAS sats. So, I would forget the coords and use the refenerences given to look for it. It only suppposed to be 5 cm (2 inches) below the ground surface.

It sounds like you did a very good job and are confident of your location. That means that the disk was vandalized and the hole in the center of the concrete post was where the post on the back of the disk was cemented in. People do vandalize these things. If you go to the NGS web site there are ways to report destroyed marks to the government. I think this would classify as a destroyed.