Email notifications stopped

MaxB on the River

It seems as if most of all the emails from geocaching.com have been down since about 1:30 PM EDT. The reviewer approved 3 new caches that I have placed for an upcoming event, and I never even received those approval notifications. I can see that they were approved on the actual cache site but no email response like other caches posted a few days ago.

:D I am also not getting any email notification from Groundspeak and I am in the Mountain time zone. Not sure what is going on but I hope they will get it fixed soon. I also tried to do a Create a Route today and it would not let me do anything past saving a route and it would come up with an error. Can't remember the error code that I got. Thought that it might be connected to the email problem. :laughing: Edited by KC7HFU

Domo!!!

Same here.

No TB notification from around noon Eastern time.

Maybe also other GC.com emails, but how can you know, without being told?

Wish there was at least an announcement somewhere viewable in this forum.

I guess the Hampsters just went off for a break.

Dr.MORO

so we're paying for a service we're not receiving. i've missed TWO FTFs because of this.

You know, I understand that stuff happens occasionally, and I can accept that. The email outage is coming up on it's eleventh hour and there has not been a single word of explanation, or even acknowledgment that there is a problem. That is unacceptable. Groundspeak has been making major progress with communication between itself and it's customers over the past several months. This is a major step backwards.

I changed all the E-Mail-Adresses on geocaching.com to an new Domain. Now I got the validation-Mail from Groundspeak, but still no notifications of new caches or logs.

Looks like a general problem ?

EDIT: I chanced back all the E-Mail-Adresses to my old one´s, and now the frist notification email came. Strange....

Edited by alexandi

so we're paying for a service we're not receiving. i've missed TWO FTFs because of this.

Wow. Actually, although the notification system is no more in the "beta" phase, I don't think you'll be able to sue Groundspeak. :blink:

Anyway. If you think about it, when the notification system goes down, it's your best opportunity for FTFs. Just look on the map from time to time. As no one receives the notifications (not just you), you may end up being the only one who'll see the new cache on the map.

GO AND GET IT! NOW!

Wow. Actually, although the notification system is no more in the "beta" phase, I don't think you'll be able to sue Groundspeak. :blink:

well, if someone were to sue GS over missed FTFs, i wonder what the estimated value of such a missed FTF would be... :blink:

Anyway. If you think about it, when the notification system goes down, it's your best opportunity for FTFs. Just look on the map from time to time. As no one receives the notifications (not just you), you may end up being the only one who'll see the new cache on the map.

GO AND GET IT! NOW!

thats excacly what i did yesterday!! :blink:

GO AND GET IT! NOW!

How do you suppose he knew that he missed two FTFs in the first place?

I have hidden and had two caches published in the past week. On the first cache one of the loggers published that they happened upon the cache by seeing it on a map. He didn't receive an email notification. Three other loggers didn't say anything in their log. The second cache was published three days ago and no one has found it or made a log yet which is highly unusual. :blink:

Sorry for the delay, we have been looking into the problem since early this morning. Unfortunately it wasn't just a matter of getting the hamster back on the wheel :blink: Notifications should be going out now but we anticipate a few more fixes will be needed before things are back to normal. Thanks for your patience!

~ Colin

Domo again!

What just happened???

Triplet post of my short post? Weird!

Dr.MORO

Hit Refresh twice after your post timed out, huh?

When your post times out, just leave, and come back in. You'll find that your message posted just fine, and you won't have any dupes to deal with.

When your post times out, just leave, and come back in. You'll find that your message posted just fine, and you won't have any dupes to deal with.

not always. i've found that when the error message says that it died on line 1111, then the message went through.

Warning to all... if you published a cache yesterday while the email system was down and someone put that cache on their watchlist sometime before the email system went back up, those people on the watchlist received copies of all the reviewer notes associated with the cache. So if you put any "secret" info in a reviewer note, any watchlisters now have it. And if you published a puzzle, any watchlisters now have the solution via the final waypoint post by the reviewer. And if you published a multi, they have all your waypoints via the same.

Groundspeak needs to notify every cache owner of anything that was published yesterday during the email outage of this problem. Especially the puzzle cache builders and anyone who may have posted confidential info (e.g. names & addresses of cache maintainers, etc) in their reviewer logs that the public should never have seen.

Warning to all... if you published a cache yesterday while the email system was down and someone put that cache on their watchlist sometime before the email system went back up, those people on the watchlist received copies of all the reviewer notes associated with the cache. So if you put any "secret" info in a reviewer note, any watchlisters now have it. And if you published a puzzle, any watchlisters now have the solution via the final waypoint post by the reviewer. And if you published a multi, they have all your waypoints via the same.

Groundspeak needs to notify every cache owner of anything that was published yesterday during the email outage of this problem. Especially the puzzle cache builders and anyone who may have posted confidential info (e.g. names & addresses of cache maintainers, etc) in their reviewer logs that the public should never have seen.

:blink: It's just a game.