trouble connecting to GPS antenna?

Narnian Rockhound

I have a Trimble Juno SB running Windows Mobile 6.1. I just installed the Wherigo Player. Loaded it up and it started fine. However it doesn't ever seem to be able to get a location from the GPS antenna. I shows what looks like some kind of GPS signal icon with bars, but it's always red. It might flash green every once in a while. When I tried to run the tutorial, it said that I did not have good enough GPS connection.

However, I then went back to the Trimble GPS software (TerraSync), and it said that it could not access the COM port to the GPS antenna because it was in use by another program. Went into the System/Task Manager and it showed 5-6 programs "still running" even though I had closed them all down (because apparently a Windows Mobile device doesn't actually exit programs when you close them????). I told Task Manager to exit the Wherigo player. Then went back to TerraSync, and it was then able to access the GPS antenna. This suggests that the Wherigo Player was using the correct COM port to access the GPS antenna, but for whatever reason it wasn't able to get a position.

Anyone have any advice?

Ok; tried this again later and had success; it worked automatically without any trouble. Several potential causes:

1) I really did need to go to a more open place and just get more satellites. This is possible, but I don't think likely, because the TerraSync software was not have any problem getting an eye on the birds in the sky.

2) I also had recently run the mobile google maps application. That one is one that, even though I "closed" it, it did not actually exit the program (unknown to me at the time but learned later). It is possible, I think, that the Wherigo player was not able to access the GPS signal from the COM port because the googlemaps app was interfering. Not sure.

3) ??