Why should I get a Premium Membership?

I think so. The PQs are great. But it also helps support the site. No money coming in means no way to pay for servers and electricity, not to mention the corporate jet. :D

I signed up just for the fact that I was supporting the site. I've only used the pocket queries once, but I might use them more. I do love the ability to search along a route, and I can see how the bookmarks would be beneficial.

But again, I figured I spend a lot more than $30 a year on stuff that I don't enjoy nearly as much!

I have read the testimonials on the membership page but am still not convinced. Will it really make geocaching easier? If anybody could tell me it would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes. With the right equipment. If you have a paperless-capable GPSr, or if you have a Nuvi, or an old Palm PDA lying around somewhere, or even an iPod Nano, paperless caching makes it a lot more convenient to geocache.

You get to download all your finds in one GPX once a week. You can feed that into any number of programs to generate fancy graphs and charts you see on many profile pages.

And you also get access to the Off Topic forum :D

I initally became a premium member for the cache along a route when my daughter and I were planning a road trip out of state. Then I found that I had better access to the maps from the cache pages. I can zoom in and out, move the center up, down or sideways to get a better picture of the area I plan to go geocaching for the day. I can click on the box to delete my finds so the map is cleaner. I am not a paperless cacher so I click on the box to number the caches then coordinate my paperwork by the numbers on the map. The premium caches are not a big deal to me but they are nice when it's close to where I'm going to be anyway. You can't find a better deal that the $30/year gives in additional entertainment and helping ensure the website is maintained.

I have read the testimonials on the membership page but am still not convinced. Will it really make geocaching easier? If anybody could tell me it would be greatly appreciated!!

A PM is not really necessary, however it make geocaching much more convenient. One of those features are the pocket queries. Another feature is the ignore list.

GermanSailor

And you also get access to the Off Topic forum :blink:

i'm premium and never went to off topic. i guess i got other sites for misc talk.

Supports the site. And going PAPERLESS with PQ's! I didn't think paperless was that big deal till I did it. You will spend your membership amount and more on paper and ink cartridges alone, not to mention the hassle of the whole process.

PQ's and member-only caches.

Seriously, if you get into this At All, you'll want pocket queries. Whether you try to go paperless or not. Don't like micros? Don't like searching for a cache only to find it's temporarily archived? Don't like inputting coords the slow way? Going for a day trip to an unfamiliar place? Want to upload caches to Google Earth? Want a list of all your found caches? PQ's are the only way to go.

PQs, bookmarks, caches along a route, and if you pay by the year it costs about 8.2 cents a day.

I just found 346 PM caches listed within 50KM of what appears to be your stomping grounds, using a PQ in less than a minute.

It seems you've got more than enough finds and hides for the bug to have bitten.

Just go for it.

Premium membership is kind of like (sex? pizza? ice cream? geocaching?).

I'm pretty sure most premium members would agree that although you can't fully describe it to someone who hasn't experienced it, most people who have experienced it enjoy it. :blink:

It is all about the pocket query. I go out one morning per week Sunday between 6 AM and 11 AM and usually don't make up my mind on where to go until late in the week. PQs help narrow the area I want to visit. I run the PQ and see if anything looks real interesting. It is also a small support to the people who bring you an enjoyable pursuit.

I just found 346 PM caches listed within 50KM of what appears to be your stomping grounds, using a PQ in less than a minute.

It seems you've got more than enough finds and hides for the bug to have bitten.

Just go for it.

Premium membership is kind of like (sex? pizza? ice cream? geocaching?).

I'm pretty sure most premium members would agree that although you can't fully describe it to someone who hasn't experienced it, most people who have experienced it enjoy it. :blink:

Really? Thats pretty cool. I will definetly try to get a primium membership thanks guys.

PS: on a side note... What exactly does a PQ do?

PS: on a side note... What exactly does a PQ do?

It is a set of parameters on a query you run against the database, and it returns you a set of up to 1000 geocaches that fit the parameters, in an XML file that can be used by some units directly, or processed by 3rd party applications.