I can't find a cache!

jacob501

One thing I almost always do before seeking out a cache is to look at the past logs & see how long it's been since some has found it.. if it's been a while then that could be a clue it's gone.. OR if the last log(s) indicate they didn't find it that's also a hint to maybe wait.. :D

..or you could go see your optometrist :laughing: how long has it been since you've had your eyes checked? lol

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

I have tried all the things mentioned, and I've still to find a cache.

We tried yesterday at 2 local parks with no luck, and again today. What they say should be difficulty is 1 to 1.5, and we still didn't find anything. Although, they didn't seem to be in spots that were that easy to be able to spot anything. We've moved within the area it says it should be. We've poked around in the leaves, under sticks and logs, in logs. What are we doing wrong?

My kids are refusing to go look again. It's no fun if your not finding the treasure.

Please Help!

We tried yesterday at 2 local parks with no luck, and again today. What they say should be difficulty is 1 to 1.5, and we still didn't find anything. Although, they didn't seem to be in spots that were that easy to be able to spot anything. We've moved within the area it says it should be. We've poked around in the leaves, under sticks and logs, in logs. What are we doing wrong?

My kids are refusing to go look again. It's no fun if your not finding the treasure.

Please Help!

You could go to a local event and try to meet some fellow geocachers. Maybe even go geocaching with a few to get the gist of where the hides might be.

Please Help!

If there's a hint posted, decode it and read it. Sometimes the name of the cache is a hint too. When I'm stuck I also read through the previous logs looking for subtle clues. If the log entries indicate other people are having trouble as well, maybe it's not really a good cache to start off with regardless of the difficulty rating.

You could also email the cache hider and request a clue.

We also are farily new to the sport. We've been stumped on a few, found some others were stumped on... all in all it's fun and a challenge. I wold agree to see if you can find someone to go with to get you 'kick started'. Best of luck.

Kurt and Jan

Combining Ham Radio and Geocaching

I too am pretty new. I went out geocaching 2 years ago and found 1 out of 3 I went for. I then quit. Now I'm back and have found all 3 caches Ive set out for. The last one stumped me pretty good... had to go looking for it 3 times.

I think Imma head out today again.