Quad Caching (ATVs/UTVs/dirt bikes)

I suspect this has been covered before, so I'll apologize in advance for being redundant. Unfortunately ATV, quad, UTV, ORV, 4x4 all fall under the minimum number of characters for a search. What's up with that anyway?

So, first, is there any specific etiquite on hides for identifying them as ATV/ORV accessable, or at least as the primary means of approach? Sure any ATV trail can be hiked, but it could be a LONG hike. Also, the terrain (or difficulty, not on the right page right now) factor would seem to dictate a 5 due specialized equipment being required. However, difficulty applies to quad trails as well, there are plenty of easy ones, and some not so easy-it doesn't seem like they should all get 5's.

So, for fun, for you ORV geocachers out there, where are you and what do you ride? I'm in northern Idaho, and ride a Can-Am Renegade 800.

One more add-on question. Is there any chance of getting an ORV subcatagory under the "adventures" section?

Try doing a search based on attributes and choose the atv icon. Many people around here are good at using the correct ones for their hides so I end up with pretty good results. Based on what I see most are rated in terms of hiking to them.

We mostly like the ride in the mountains or foothills, of Alberta, although I have ridden and have many hides spread over a variety of quad trails. We have two 500 2 up machines, a 300 and a 200, all polaris

that 800 is a nice maching

I used to work for BRP and tried em all

I have to say that I've enjoyed it. I have about 1500 miles on it since last August, hope to see 3000 before the year is over. Had to do some mods to get things sorted out the way I like. Working at BRP and playing with the toys must have been a blast!

I suspect this has been covered before, so I'll apologize in advance for being redundant. Unfortunately ATV, quad, UTV, ORV, 4x4 all fall under the minimum number of characters for a search. What's up with that anyway?

So, first, is there any specific etiquite on hides for identifying them as ATV/ORV accessable, or at least as the primary means of approach? Sure any ATV trail can be hiked, but it could be a LONG hike. Also, the terrain (or difficulty, not on the right page right now) factor would seem to dictate a 5 due specialized equipment being required. However, difficulty applies to quad trails as well, there are plenty of easy ones, and some not so easy-it doesn't seem like they should all get 5's.

Don't think that'd go over well in too many places here in Florida. A lot of the parks I've been to, I think only bicycles are allowed.

Edited by TheLoneWanderer

We have found many caches while riding our ATV's. We've also placed a few caches while riding them. As far as terrain difficulty ratings on these caches, most people around here assume that you walk to them and rate them accordingly.

For example, lets say you place a cache 2 miles in the woods on an ATV trail. You could ride your ATV, mountain bike, or just walk to the cache. The cache might get a terrain rating of 3 because you could always walk to it. The 5 terrain ratings are for caches where the specialized equipment is REQUIRED. Here, the ATV is not required. It is optional. Since most people don't have ATV's, they just walk to the cache--so the cache gets a rating of 2.5 or 3 or whatever it would be if you hiked.

If the hike were to be extremely long and difficult, like 20 miles one way for example, then the cache might get a 4.5 or 5 terrain difficulty rating anyway.

Edited by GrnXnham