Question about stampings ...

Rich in NEPA

What is the accepted policy on reviving worn or partially obliterated stampings on survey markers? Is it OK to restamp or renew the impressions where certain letters or numbers of the designations have become illegible, worn or eroded? If so, is there a specific metal stamp typestyle and size that should be used? TIA.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

--- You might own the cache, but geocaching.com owns you. ---

Don't do it. While I'm sure your intentions are well meaning, any stamping or re-stamping done by you can do permanent damage to the mark. Local surveyors don't even re-stamp them and they certainly shouldn't be re-stamped by anyone else. These survey monuments, while in the public domain, are not monuments that the general public should manipulate. As tempting as it may be to 'make them better', don't do it. Just enjoy the marks as they are.

Keep on Caching! (and Benchmarking!)

- Kewaneh

Howdy, K&S and RK! I follow your reasoning and I do respect it. I certainly would not attempt anything that would destroy or harm the integrity of the marks. Since I've never seen any direct evidence that stampings had been revived after the station was monumented, I have seen a few marks where the stampings had become, or were becoming illegible through normal wear and tear and even through deliberate mutilation. It does appear that it would be better to try to keep a designation readable and relatively useful than to lose the mark entirely, so you can see why I had to ask. Thanks for the insight.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

--- You might own the cache, but geocaching.com owns you. ---

You can buy those steel dies in any hardware store, I can't recall if the are 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8 inch. I personally have never revived any marks but stamped many a disk at work, both NGS and USGS for resets an dour own logo discs.

Mike

Survey Tech (Retired)

I have a 1/4 and a 5/16 Number and Letter Die set,but I am In no way, In my mind authorised to restamp or to alter the original mark in any way.

There are lots of them here that I would like to refresh but I will leave that to the professional in charge of that.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

posted October 28, 2003 03:53 PM

You can buy those steel dies in any hardware store, I can't recall if the are 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8 inch

WHAT!! I can't belive this is being thought of.

Never alter any Survey Marker! Find, clear away brush and hang some pretty flagging on it and post pictures here, but don't change it in any way. It says right on top $250 FINE FOR DISTURBING don't know if that is ever enforced,if it was there would be some Cat Skinners up here who would owe a fortune.