Sherriffs Dept. trying to "outlaw" geocaching in our county! Help!

I haven't read all the replies but I am horribly offended and bothered by the part that said "if people have time to go geocaching, why don't they spend it on cleaning up or whatever.

That elicited an "F" word reply inside my head. What, exactly, makes anyone think that people who have time to enjoy their lives means they should be spending that time cleaning up the community. It's like they think people are slaves to the community or something.

I have to agree with your sentiments. I could easily paraphrase it to "if people have time to go bass fishing..." or, "if people have time to go bowling", or even "if people have time to make mindless statements to the press..."

If people have enough time to stay home everyday and collect a welfare check, they should go out in the community and pick up trash. :blink:

Most geocaching related conflicts with the law are the fault of cache hiders and occasionally cache finders.

* Hiding geocaches on private property (residential or commercial)

* Hiding geocaches in full view of the general public

* Disobeying posted hours (a FTF hounds favorite thing to ignore)

If people have enough time to stay home everyday and collect a welfare check, they should go out in the community and pick up trash. :blink:

I agree 100%.

I'm in favor of people having to do something in order to pay back assistance they receive from tax payers (including corporations who receive assistance from taxpayers BTW). Yet I just came from a house with a single mom (dad essentially cut and run when he found out she was pg) who delivered a 32 week premature baby. This woman also has a 5 year old and a 2 year old (their father is in jail for child abuse).

How is she supposed to go out and pick up trash with 3 kids under 5 and a new premature baby who the doctors have told her should NOT be put in any kind of childcare setting because of her compromised immune system? Just curious as to how well this idea has been thought out by those who seemingly have all the answers here...

I agree 100%.

I'm in favor of people having to do something in order to pay back assistance they receive from tax payers (including corporations who receive assistance from taxpayers BTW). Yet I just came from a house with a single mom (dad essentially cut and run when he found out she was pg) who delivered a 32 week premature baby. This woman also has a 5 year old and a 2 year old (their father is in jail for child abuse).

How is she supposed to go out and pick up trash with 3 kids under 5 and a new premature baby who the doctors have told her should NOT be put in any kind of childcare setting because of her compromised immune system? Just curious as to how well this idea has been thought out by those who seemingly have all the answers here...

that's why we get the government to provide childcare. :blink:

that's why we get the government to provide childcare. :blink:

Obviously you didn't read my post. The premature baby cannot go to ANY childcare setting per doctor's orders.

And FYI - at least in my state, getting any assistance for childcare from the government is next to impossible and on the slim chance someone gets it, it only covers about 25%.

What on earth does this topic have to do with welfare?

I didn't bring the subject up - I was responding to a post that someone else brought up that was responded to prior to my post. Hopefully you will address your concerns to that person directly.

I addressed my post to everyone responding to that off-topic comment.

I didn't bring the subject up - I was responding to a post that someone else brought up that was responded to prior to my post. Hopefully you will address your concerns to that person directly.

Ok but you didn't say a word when Kit Fox introduced the subject in the first place. Why is that I wonder?

Ok but you didn't say a word when Kit Fox introduced the subject in the first place. Why is that I wonder?

Uhhhhh... just maybe because I hadn't read it yet, do you think?

Or, if you don't like that answer... then maybe because I was hoping it would stop after Kit Fox introduced it. Take your pick.

Edited by knowschad
Uhhhhh... just maybe because I hadn't read it yet, do you think?

I guess if you say so....

FWIW - this thread was derailed long before Kit Fox posted. People's parenting skills were being called into question - there was some sniping about the incorrect spelling of "sherriff", etc. etc.

Calling people out on being OT when the subject of welfare comes up is pretty petty at this point IMHO. Frankly, I'd love it if the whole thread were moved to OT.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

I'm still curious about what article the OP saw yesterday, since both of the referenced links were not it... or maybe the news brief was? If so, I have not a clue how he/she read into that tiny paragraph as much as he/she did... :blink:

For example, where does this come from? I did a google search and can't find anything. I hope they were not 'padding' their story to get a rise out of everyone.

(from the original post)

" just an excuse for people to be snooping around where they dont belong!" and another reason I can tell that they obviously didn't do their homework is and I qoute "we have tons of programs in our community that people can volunteer for like picking up trash or cleaning up the highway. If these people have time to go geocaching them why dont they spend their time more wisely and do something productive like volunteer to pick up garbage!!!"

Edited by nymphnsatyr
Estelle Stepherson, in a letter to the editor, said geocaching sounds fun but added that cemeteries are “sacred grounds,” not the place for “a game of hide and seek.”

I suppose Estelle wouldn't want to visit Congressional Cemetery in Washington DC then? Even though there are nearly 100 members of congress interred there, the ownership (yup the property is privately owned and managed) allow their dogs to run free, and there is even a geocache in there too! :blink:

She probably won't accept my invitation to attend the performance of Burning Coal Theater troupe in Historic Oakwood Cemetery than either? And yes, there is a cache there too.

Pity, both are lovely places full of life; and dead buried people.

Edited by wimseyguy

Nothing, really. However, the first similar comments were simply replacing the sheriff's comments about people having time to geocache with people having time to do other things that people do.

Uhhhhh... just maybe because I hadn't read it yet, do you think
Calling people out on being OT when the subject of welfare comes up is pretty petty at this point IMHO. Frankly, I'd love it if the whole thread were moved to OT.
[sigh]

I'm still curious about what article the OP saw yesterday, since both of the referenced links were not it... or maybe the news brief was? If so, I have not a clue how he/she read into that tiny paragraph as much as he/she did... :)

Apparently the majority of what the OP attributed to a newspaper article was supposedly something said in a later meeting. Nothing that was actually printed was out of line as far as I can tell.

*** This post simply relates my confusion at the preceding posts as well. No humor intended or implied.

I'm still curious about what article the OP saw yesterday, since both of the referenced links were not it... or maybe the news brief was? If so, I have not a clue how he/she read into that tiny paragraph as much as he/she did... :)

Apparently the majority of what the OP attributed to a newspaper article was supposedly something said in a later meeting. Nothing that was actually printed was out of line as far as I can tell.

*** This post simply relates my confusion at the preceding posts as well. No humor intended or implied.

Okay, glad I'm not the only one confused. I just hope the OP isn't lying about it... maybe they aren't. I just really like to see evidence before I believe something. Thanks for your response B)

Actually I like Sheriff Joe from Maricopa County Arizona. I think that all County Jails should be run the way he runs his. Maybe people would think twice about committing crimes.

End Highjack

You can have him. I'm tired of his racist antics embarassing my county and state. The guy is a scumbag and needs to go. Please take all his goombas with him.

Actually I like Sheriff Joe from Maricopa County Arizona. I think that all County Jails should be run the way he runs his. Maybe people would think twice about committing crimes.

End Highjack

Although I've never met Sheriff Joe in person, if he cared to show up at my door, I'd gladly have him to dinner at my table.

I've met him and he is a jerk who cares only for his own ego. I would be embarrased to have a racist who pals around with neo-nazis in my house.

End Highjack

Although I've never met Sheriff Joe in person, if he cared to show up at my door, I'd gladly have him to dinner at my table.

Yeah, until the time comes that Sheriff Joe decides that YOU broke the law and decides to be your judge, jury, and constitution. But this, and your posting are both off topic.

HH242 is white. He's got nothing to worry about.

End Highjack

Yeah, until the time comes that Sheriff Joe decides that YOU broke the law and decides to be your judge, jury, and constitution. But this, and your posting are both off topic.

The bold part... Really? He can find people guilty and sentence them to jail? :)

Betcha he can't. :P

Betcha it takes a Judge to do both of those. Maybe you need to read up on how the judicial system works! :P

The bold part... Really? He can find people guilty and sentence them to jail? :)

Betcha it takes a Judge to do both of those. Maybe you need to read up on how the judicial system works! :laughing:

In Maricopa County, it works a little differently, unfortunately. :P

Betcha it takes a Judge to do both of those. Maybe you need to read up on how the judicial system works! :laughing:

In Maricopa County, it works a little differently, unfortunately. :P

What works differently in Maricopa County? Please elaborate.

Can the Sheriff hold a trial, determine guilt and sentence folks to his jail? I know Joe is a powerful man, but he can't put people in jail, he can only manage them after they've been sent to his jail.

See? It works there just like everywhere else in America. :laughing:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
I haven't read all the replies but I am horribly offended and bothered by the part that said "if people have time to go geocaching, why don't they spend it on cleaning up or whatever.

That elicited an "F" word reply inside my head. What, exactly, makes anyone think that people who have time to enjoy their lives means they should be spending that time cleaning up the community. It's like they think people are slaves to the community or something.

I agree with you and I've seen it applied to many other hobbies. It all depends on the offense or lack of value that a person places on another person's hobby. I've heard it time and time again.

When it happened to me, it was an atheist former friend who, in what was probably a moment of extreme grouchitude, started to berate me for paranormal investigation. When I retorted that he should quit playing his guitar because it's not more important than curing Cancer, either. He never talked to me again. That would be someone who can dish it but can't take it.

Imagine if everyone took the advice. We'd have hundreds of thousands of vastly unqualified people all trying to research a cure for Cancer and nobody enjoying their lives.

End Highjack

Betcha it takes a Judge to do both of those. Maybe you need to read up on how the judicial system <insert> is supposed to </insert> work! :P

You can have him. I'm tired of his racist antics embarassing my county and state. The guy is a scumbag and needs to go. Please take all his goombas with him.

Setting aside the fact that if this is true he is following the direction set by the state he lives and works in which just legalized racism recently, has anyone seen where he is asking for geocaching to be "outlawed?

I see where his opinions are strongly expressed but have not seen any new law being requested.

Setting aside the fact that if this is true he is following the direction set by the state he lives and works in which just legalized racism recently, has anyone seen where he is asking for geocaching to be "outlawed?

I see where his opinions are strongly expressed but have not seen any new law being requested.

You are correct, except that I think that you are talking about the Sheriff in the OP and Simpjkee is railing about an unrelated Sheriff, Joe Arpaio, down in AZ. There are too many Sheriffs in here!

You are correct, except that I think that you are talking about the Sheriff in the OP and Simpjkee is railing about an unrelated Sheriff, Joe Arpaio, down in AZ. There are too many Sheriffs in here!

I couldn't resist. I had to reply when someone said they'd like to have that shameful human over for dinner. :)

I couldn't resist. I had to reply when someone said they'd like to have that shameful human over for dinner. :)

I would.

I've met him, I liked what I saw of him.

I like his style of jail management. I wish the climate would allow it here.

My son owns a business in Scottsdale and he and his employees volunteer with the Sheriff's Department to remove graffiti and clean up the trash left by those who could use a visit with the Sheriff.

What was the topic of this thread again? Let's debate Joe Arpaio in OT. :blink:

Betcha he can't. :blink:

Betcha it takes a Judge to do both of those. Maybe you need to read up on how the judicial system works! :o

In Maricopa County, it works a little differently, unfortunately. :blink:

What works differently in Maricopa County? Please elaborate.

Can the Sheriff hold a trial, determine guilt and sentence folks to his jail? I know Joe is a powerful man, but he can't put people in jail, he can only manage them after they've been sent to his jail.

See? It works there just like everywhere else in America. :o

For the uninformed, I recommend Radley Balco's columns in Reason. I'm not particularly concerned about his "style of jail management", though there is much to be appalled about there. His power is hardly limited to the inside of a jail.

So far this thread contains:

An exaggeration of facts, creating an unnecessary stir.

A discovery that the media has no idea what Geocaching is (again).

Ranting about a Sheriff mentioned in the OP.

Ranting about a Sheriff not mentioned in the OP.

Off-topic bashing of poor people by somebody who hates the President.

And the topic was what? A local sheriff doesn't want people breaking the laws while Geocaching so the game doesn't become a nuisance.

I love this forum. All we need is for sbell and Mustang to start arguing about something completely off-topic for the sake of arguing with each other and for someone to bring up micros and LPCs!

I'd copy this and keep it handy, a concise recap of 90% of the threads here.

Thanks for the laugh!

And the obligatory summary of all the things this thread contains along with someone making a snarky comment about someone summing up the contents of the thread.

And the obligatory summary of all the things this thread contains along with someone making a snarky comment about someone summing up the contents of the thread.

Not to mention the obligatory comment pointing out the obligatory summary of all the things this thread contains along with someone making a snarky comment about someone summing up the contents of the thread.

I have to agree with your sentiments. I could easily paraphrase it to "if people have time to go bass fishing..." or, "if people have time to go bowling", or even "if people have time to make mindless statements to the press..."

If people have enough time to stay home everyday and collect a welfare check, they should go out in the community and pick up trash. :)

Most geocaching related conflicts with the law are the fault of cache hiders and occasionally cache finders.

* Hiding geocaches on private property (residential or commercial)

* Hiding geocaches in full view of the general public

* Disobeying posted hours (a FTF hounds favorite thing to ignore)

Never miss an opportunity, does ya?

Not to mention the obligatory comment pointing out the obligatory summary of all the things this thread contains along with someone making a snarky comment about someone summing up the contents of the thread.

Not to mention the obligatory comment pointing out the obligatory comment pointing out the obligatory summary of all the things this thread contains along with someone making a snarky comment about someone summing up the contents of the thread.