Old GPS as SWAG?

I'm just getting started with placing caches. I have an old Etrex Summit that I don't use any more, and I probably couldn't sell for a lot. Would it be a suitable SWAG?

That would be pretty good swag, as swag goes.

I'm keeping my other working GPSr as a backup. Besides, it does street maps nicer than my Oregon 450, so I'm using it for finding my way around, while using the Oregon for finding the actual caches.

I'm just getting started with placing caches. I have an old Etrex Summit that I don't use any more, and I probably couldn't sell for a lot. Would it be a suitable SWAG?

I'm keeping my other working GPSr as a backup. Besides, it does street maps nicer than my Oregon 450, so I'm using it for finding my way around, while using the Oregon for finding the actual caches.

I just got an Oregon 450, really like it for caching, especially the paperless function. I also have a Rino 530hcx that I use for hunting (like the radio), but the map display isn't nearly as nice as the Oregons. Hence the Etrex has been sitting in a drawer for years.

My though is to load a bunch of caches up on it, put it in a cache with the request that the FTF (or whoever takes it) passes it on to a new person that wants to give the sport a try.

I just got an Oregon 450, really like it for caching, especially the paperless function. I also have a Rino 530hcx that I use for hunting (like the radio), but the map display isn't nearly as nice as the Oregons. Hence the Etrex has been sitting in a drawer for years.

My though is to load a bunch of caches up on it, put it in a cache with the request that the FTF (or whoever takes it) passes it on to a new person that wants to give the sport a try.

AWESOME!! I say go for it!

You could also

1. save it as a loaner for someone who wants to try geocaching

2. give it to someone in your area who does intro to geocaching classes (maybe there is a class at your parks and rec dept?)

3. Give it to a beginning cacher in your area with the request that they pass it on when they upgrade to a better gps

If that is one of the old units with a serial cable, you'll want to make sure to include the cable.

This is very nice of you, btw!

I initially thought of doing this too, but figured if I find someone who needs one, I'll just hand it off myself...until then, I'll keep it as a backup and for others to use or borrow. I know not all people who go and find caches have a gps, but I would think that the majority of them do already have one, and used it to find the cache it would have been placed in.

$5 are you still working without a gps??

..... I recently caught wind that some cachers frown on the act of cache hunting without a GPS, I will admit it (ducks and covers) yes..... no GPS here.

I plan to get one when I can spend the money on a used one though.... please don't hate!! :D

btw, I am no where near Idaho, sadly. Besides if he hid it in a good quality cache, I would never find it anyhow, because for now I can only attempt the more urban caches. :laughing:

I think it is an awesome thing though gifting it as swag. Even if the person who finds it has a GPS maybe they might have a kid who could use it or know someone who could use it. Hopefully cachers will be kind enough to just leave it behind if they have no use for it at all.

edited because I type stoopid sometimes.

Edited by FiveDollarGuitar

This might be wrong for me to suggest such a thing, but just to put it out there....

if you have a GPS (anyone, not just OP) that is not worth much for a resell, (like on ebay or something) and it is user friendly for someone who has NEVER even held a GPS before...... I cannot offer money at this time, but I would be more than happy to make you one of my signature pieces (mail it direct to you) with any theme or insignia you would like, as a barter.

yes, I totally realize this is probably not a fair trade, and I hope I don't sound like an a** for making the offer. Just saying as much since at least 2 people here are talking about old GPS they have, don't use, and are not worth much. I only need one to geocache.

(I could offer money for one at a later date. my intention now is to save to by a used one. I am hearing that I can get one for 50-60 dollars. found one on craigslist for 25$, but then a fellow cacher told me that this particular model probably wasn't even worth that! : )

Sure you can leave it as swag, but it's likely to be taken by a geocacher who already has a GPS.

What I've done is when someone comes to these forums and shows interest in the sport but says he can't afford a GPS, I'll send him one of my old ones. I think that would be a better way of disposing it because the recipient will really appreciate it far more than someone who already has a better unit and is just going to put it on a shelf.

Edited by briansnat

While I dont have an actual hand held GPS yet I will agree with others. I would say find someone on the board that is enthusiastic about Geocaching that doesnt have a GPS yet due to money issues, and send it to them. I can attest that its those little things that make communities grow. When I proposed to my Fiancee at Disneyland someone was nice enough to send me Just Engaged buttons for free since I would not have the time to grab them the day I proposed. So to pay it forward my Fiancee and I sent post cards to kids, and one older gentleman who were going to be going to the parks soon as if they were from Disney Characters. I am sure if you send it to someone they will pay it forward to some one else.

PS. I dont need the GPS at all. I will be purchasing my GPSr hand held in around a month. YAY cant wait. Now which one to get??? :D

$5 are you still working without a gps??

..... I recently caught wind that some cachers frown on the act of cache hunting without a GPS, I will admit it (ducks and covers) yes..... no GPS here.

I plan to get one when I can spend the money on a used one though.... please don't hate!! :D

btw, I am no where near Idaho, sadly. Besides if he hid it in a good quality cache, I would never find it anyhow, because for now I can only attempt the more urban caches. :laughing:

I think it is an awesome thing though gifting it as swag. Even if the person who finds it has a GPS maybe they might have a kid who could use it or know someone who could use it. Hopefully cachers will be kind enough to just leave it behind if they have no use for it at all.

edited because I type stoopid sometimes.

It isn't finding caches sans GPS that is the problem. It is hiding them. Most of us would rather you used a GPS to get the coordinates for a new hide.

I say give it to someone that is in need of one. If you place it in a cache that needy person will need a GPS to find the GPS.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

It isn't finding caches sans GPS that is the problem. It is hiding them. Most of us would rather you used a GPS to get the coordinates for a new hide.

I say give it to someone that is in need of one. If you place it in a cache that needy person will need a GPS to find the GPS.

I would never attempt to hide without a GPS. I could just imagine how far off that might send some poor cacher! :D

~ 5$