What if nothing happens?

Rescueing it from another post ...

My opinion: NA. A cache with no owner has no future ...

On a side note ... What if you post a NA and nothing happens?

Something will happen!

A note will go to the local reviewer who will decide what to do.

For example: nothing?

Or must he do something? Post a note, "clear" the NA, ... whatever.

What if nothing happens?

I went last week to one with 3 false finds ("was not there but I found the place"), pictures of the dissapeared site, 4 DNF, 2 NM and 1 NA (one month and a half old) since April last year. Owner not active since May last year (only active for less than 5 months). I posted a second NA. Nothing seems to happen.

I know, reviewers may have other problems, work etc. and maybe it will be fixed some day.

But my question ... is there a defined procedure of what should happen? In an aproximate period of time?

:o

Good questions. With GeoWoodstock coming, the Washington cachers are trying to clean up our caching area. I've posted NA logs last month on two abandoned caches that are in bad shape (missing WPs, damaged containers), with no visible followup from our local reviewers (and we have FIVE now!). One cache is still active (owner gone 2 yrs, no valid email on account), the other has been disabled for ages (no owner followup). With no reviewer note or apparent followup, feels like you're being ignored, and the problem remains.

I was about to post the same thing, lol. If it seems like nothing is happening after while, and you would like to make sure that the NA was noticed, email the Reviewer about it.

Perhaps it slipped through the cracks. Perhaps the Reviewer is researching things, it's hard to tell if nothing's been posted to the cache page. But if you email a Reviewer, then hopefully things will either start happening, or be explained. :o

I'll throw my two cents in here.

Unless their is a major problem with the cache (ie. permission issues, LEO involvement, etc) I usually give the cache owner up to one week to respond. Then, if there isn't any response from the CO, I may take action.

On a separate but related note: It helps to have other cachers first document the problems with a cache via a "Needs Maintenance" log or logs before dropping the "Needs Archive" bomb. Lately it seems like a lot of cachers are skipping the usual process and rushing right to the "Needs Archive" after just a few DNFs. Don't get me wrong, if a cache needs it the go for it. But do your research first (is the cache owner active, how many DNFs/notes, how many "Needs Maintenance" logs, etc).

Deane

-DeRock-

I'll throw my two cents in here.

Unless their is a major problem with the cache (ie. permission issues, LEO involvement, etc) I usually give the cache owner up to one week to respond. Then, if there isn't any response from the CO, I may take action.

On a separate but related note: It helps to have other cachers first document the problems with a cache via a "Needs Maintenance" log or logs before dropping the "Needs Archive" bomb. Lately it seems like a lot of cachers are skipping the usual process and rushing right to the "Needs Archive" after just a few DNFs. Don't get me wrong, if a cache needs it the go for it. But do your research first (is the cache owner active, how many DNFs/notes, how many "Needs Maintenance" logs, etc).

Deane

-DeRock-

Yes, sure, I agree. Did you read the original post?

Since April 2009: 3 false finds, 4 dnf, 2 NM, 2 NA ... several pictures showing the problem.

CO active for 5 months (Jan 2009-May 2009).

CO inactive since May 2009.

Motorcycle_Mama,

so ... should I e-mail a reviewer? I expected 2 NA to be the correct way to do it, not using a personal private e-mail.

Thks

I would say give it a little bit more time. The reviewer may be in the process of contacting (or attempting to contact) the cache owner and give them adequate time to address the issue. This process may take several months depending upon the circumstances.

If you don't see anything happening after a little bit more time, then you could contact the active reviewer in the area via their profile on the Geocaching.com.

I would say give it a little bit more time. The reviewer may be in the process of contacting (or attempting to contact) the cache owner and give them adequate time to address the issue. This process may take several months depending upon the circumstances.

If you don't see anything happening after a little bit more time, then you could contact the active reviewer in the area via their profile on the Geocaching.com.

Wow. The cache has apparently been in distress for more than a year. How much time is needed?

And in some cases (this is just a general statement), just because there is a NA posted to a cache, doesn't mean that the Reviewer needs to respond to it. After the Reviewer reads the logs, they may determine that it is not a matter that needs any action. Or perhaps they will watch the cache for a while, to see if things develop further.

Lots of variables. :D

Edited by Ambrosia

And in some cases (this is just a general statement), just because there is a NA posted to a cache, doesn't mean that the Reviewer needs to respond to it. After the Reviewer reads the logs, they may determine that it is not a matter that needs any action. Or perhaps they will watch the cache for a while, to see if things develop further.

While it is true the reviewer may determine that it is not a matter that needs any action, I would assume that some response would be in order. The reviewer should let those that may be watching the cache know it has been checked and is OK.

For example, a NA gets posted on a cache that appears to be on private property. If I see that I might hesitate to seek that cache until I know it is not on private property, or that the CO does have permission to place the cache.

I would think some response on the cache page would be good, and usually I see the reviewer will post a result if the cache is good to go.

yes but -

seems like some reviewer (or the cache owner) should post or say something.....anything to indicate that all is well and future seekers are ok and not violating some guideline or another.

Maybe just "Checked - all is well"........

What if nothing happens?

I've found that laying face down, punching & kicking the ground, whilst holding my breath till I turn blue, is not very effective.

If you ever consider the temper tantrum approach to getting what you want, I recommend against it. :D

Sorry, even if my english is good enough to see your ironic attempt ... I don't understand what it's all about.

I'm not posting in angst or complaining about anythig, neither have I any problem with CO or reviewers, up to date only good feelings in my not even a year of geocaching. Just surprised because I thought a NA will produce some kind of answer/action. Any answer. And because I don't like -as a rule- to use private e-mail when a standard procedure exists. And because our local forum is useless (local reviewers never participate on it).

Thks for all answers. First NA is almost 2 months old, I will wait ... mmm ... a couple of months more.

If I look for one that's not been found for a long time and I don't find it, I post a Needs Archived.

I found a cache the other day that had not been found in over a year and had two prior DNFs, it was a really nice cache in good shape in a beautiful area that I was glad to have come to. I'm glad no one did that to that cache!

Maybe posting a Needs Maintenance is a good first step rather than posting a Needs Archived until you know whether it's really there or not.

Try another NA log.

The first 2 were a while back. No one is seeing as email them now.

They may have been lost in cyberspace, in fact. I notice that right now, GC.com email seems to be malfunctioning, there's a thread about that in the website section. It happens.

So one NA log went "missing" the other went to a reviewer who was very busy, or in the process of retiring. Nothing happened. Just log another.

Try another NA log.

The first 2 were a while back. No one is seeing as email them now.

They may have been lost in cyberspace, in fact. I notice that right now, GC.com email seems to be malfunctioning, there's a thread about that in the website section. It happens.

So one NA log went "missing" the other went to a reviewer who was very busy, or in the process of retiring. Nothing happened. Just log another.

:blink: ... sorry, I don't want to misunderstand you ... are you confirming that no one is seeing them (=> you have access to some internal data) or making an hypothesis?

NA's are dated March 27th and May 2nd.

I was making an hypothesis - also, I misread your original post. I didn't realize that the most recent NA log is quite recent. I formed the impression that there was rather old NA and another, also at least 6 weeks ago. With an NA log less then a week ago, it might be better to wait another 3 weeks to a month before posting another.

And, sometimes, you breathe deeply, say "Oh, well", and continue on with life.

Unless you feel that there is a particular reason that that particular cache MUST be archived? Have you found the 'absolutely most perfect spot for a cache" and that cache is getting in your way? (I'll admitting that about a few caches... They just irritated me... (Cache owner missing for a year. First stage missing for ten months. Final missing for six months.) (Or: coords about a mile off. CO lives 100 miles away, and has hidden one cache, and not found any...) Other than that, I just say "Oh, well".

And, sometimes, you breathe deeply, say "Oh, well", and continue on with life.

Unless you feel that there is a particular reason that that particular cache MUST be archived? Have you found the 'absolutely most perfect spot for a cache" and that cache is getting in your way? (I'll admitting that about a few caches... They just irritated me... (Cache owner missing for a year. First stage missing for ten months. Final missing for six months.) (Or: coords about a mile off. CO lives 100 miles away, and has hidden one cache, and not found any...) Other than that, I just say "Oh, well".

Sometimes I have had such a bad experience with a cache, filled with water, cache owner MIA, I just don't want others to waste time on such a piece of.....um.....badly maintained cache.

As a matter of fact, I'd rather just not find a cache than find one chock full of mildew (yes, even caches in AZ can have this problem)....