Glossery of terms

LaPaglia

OK went looking for my first Bench mark today, Almost found it. I believe it was covered with landscaping cloth and I did not want to cut it. But it felt like a 12 in circle of something.

While looking at the website. I found a few terms I did not really understand. can someone help with the explaination?

Witness post

Station

Thanks

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Maru:

If the notes say it was "recovered", does that mean it has been removed, and there's no point in my looking for it?

icon_confused.gif

Recovered means that it was found as decribed and therefore you certainly should go out and try to find it! If it says "Not found", someone tried to find it but couldn't. Even these are sometimes re-found, there are several examples in the database where that has happened. Benchmarks that have been listed as "not found" at any time do not show up in a search by zip code or coordinates, but will show up if you know the PID. If it is listed as "detroyed" then there is really no point in looking for it, the rules for submitting a destroyed report are pretty strict, i.e. you must submit a photo of the removed mark. But then, destroyed marks don't show up in our database at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Maru:

If the notes say it was "recovered", does that mean it has been removed, and there's no point in my looking for it?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

icon_confused.gif

Gee, I thought it meant the marker had been sick, but has since gotten well... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

witness post = a sign close to the mark that says "please do not disturb nearby survey marker". Usually a small yellow metal sign on a metal signpost a few feet high.

All of the witness posts I've seen have been white metal signs on metal posts about 4-5 feet high.

25021_1200.gif