60CSx has a constant tone on shutdown

I connected to the internet and downloaded some waypoints. When I disconnected and shut down my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx there is a constant tone sounding. I went to the Garmin FAQ and found this:

"When I turn the unit off, it just beeps until I remove the batteries or they die. How can I cure this?

This is great fun to find if you have your device muted. You won't hear the beeps, but the unit doesn't actually shut down. Your only sign that this happend is that the batteries will likely be dead when you next go to use the GPS.

This family of products contains a defect in the shutodown code that seems to be intermittently triggerd by mounting the product or its SD card on a Mac or Linux system. The presence of files starting with a dot on the GPS seems to cause it to crash when shutting down.

You usually can't delete these from withing the GUI tools like Finder. You'll have to do it from a shell prompot. On Mac, open Applications->Utilities->Terminal. cd /Volume/[name of your disk as it appears in Finder then type rm -fr .Spotlight-V100 .fseventsd .Trashes to remove the files. cd / and eject the volume. On Linux, the filenames and commands to remove them are similar."

I tried their solution but can not mount the Volume. Can anyone with a MAC help me out? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/style_ima...icons/icon7.gif

This has been brought up here before. I thought the most recent Garmin firmware fixed it? Maybe not.

Alternately, if you work in a mixed platform ebvironment, these Mac-specific .files might give you problems elsewhere also. You might consider usingBlueHarvest to prevent writing them to non-Mac volumes completely.

I tried their solution but can not mount the Volume. Can anyone with a MAC help me out? icon7.gif

The unit needs to be in USB mode and then the card will mount to your desktop before using the command line. Or remove the card from the unit and use a cardreader.

I have the definitive fix for this gong show problem. After hours of grief and what not, I found the fix in a forum. What happens is, OS X leaves hidden files on your memory card after it is mounted that Garmin cannot deal with. It's like sucking a lemon for your 60CSx. Henceforth and thusly, this is what you must do:

The solution is, just before ejecting the card....

(1) open up terminal.app ( it's in /Applications/Utilities )

(2) find the name of your card under /Volumes

(note) 'ls' lists out the various volumes which are mounted - you need

the one which is your card. ( Eg "GPSMAP60CSX" ) - and ONLY that one!

ls /Volumes

(3) sync the filesystem and remove the offending files and folders

(note) You will be told "rm: "." and ".." may not be removed" - but

don't worry about that.

sync; rm -rf /Volumes/GPSMAP60CSX/.*

(4) sync and Unmount the system - you will need the admin password for

your machine. Or just remove the card (and ignore the error message) -

sync will have sorted that out.

sync; sudo umount -f /Volumes/GPSMAP60CSX

VOILA! The hidden files are removed and no more beeping.

I connected to the internet and downloaded some waypoints. When I disconnected and shut down my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx there is a constant tone sounding. I went to the Garmin FAQ and found this:

"When I turn the unit off, it just beeps until I remove the batteries or they die. How can I cure this?

This is great fun to find if you have your device muted. You won't hear the beeps, but the unit doesn't actually shut down. Your only sign that this happend is that the batteries will likely be dead when you next go to use the GPS.

This family of products contains a defect in the shutodown code that seems to be intermittently triggerd by mounting the product or its SD card on a Mac or Linux system. The presence of files starting with a dot on the GPS seems to cause it to crash when shutting down.

You usually can't delete these from withing the GUI tools like Finder. You'll have to do it from a shell prompot. On Mac, open Applications->Utilities->Terminal. cd /Volume/[name of your disk as it appears in Finder then type rm -fr .Spotlight-V100 .fseventsd .Trashes to remove the files. cd / and eject the volume. On Linux, the filenames and commands to remove them are similar."

I tried their solution but can not mount the Volume. Can anyone with a MAC help me out? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/style_ima...icons/icon7.gif

Hey, that's slick - should be a one-time fix then after this code is run!

Before you do step 3, run the following command (found on another site somewhere)

touch /Volumes/GPSMAP60CSX/.metadata_never_index

This will prevent spotlight from creating the problem directories next time the drive is mounted.

Hmm... that should only be a valid fix if the Garmin is specifically stumbling over the Spotlight folders and doesn't mind any/all of the other "dot" files. AND... isn't this fixed in the most current Garmin firmware? Anyone who is still seeing this problem what firmware are you using on your device? Edited by lee_rimar

Unless I do the terminal code before unmounting my GPSMAP 60Cx, the problem remains.

Software Version: 4.00

GPS SW Version: 3.00s

Hmm... that should only be a valid fix if the Garmin is specifically stumbling over the Spotlight folders and doesn't mind any/all of the other "dot" files. AND... isn't this fixed in the most current Garmin firmware? Anyone who is still seeing this problem what firmware are you using on your device?

Unless I do the terminal code before unmounting my GPSMAP 60Cx, the problem remains.

Software Version: 4.00

GPS SW Version: 3.00s

Hmm... that should only be a valid fix if the Garmin is specifically stumbling over the Spotlight folders and doesn't mind any/all of the other "dot" files. AND... isn't this fixed in the most current Garmin firmware? Anyone who is still seeing this problem what firmware are you using on your device?

Easiest way to deal with this is to get BlueHarvest. It is a system prefs that you run just before you eject the 60CSx. Works like a charm. Cleans all the leftover junk.

Easiest way to deal with this is to get BlueHarvest. It is a system prefs that you run just before you eject the 60CSx. Works like a charm. Cleans all the leftover junk.

This is a year old post, and sorry for the reply, but THANK YOU! The BlueHarvest fixed that annoying beeping on shutdown! And it was totally easy!

Thanks for the post... My 60csx just started doing this. I typically connect it to a virtual Windows image so I can use GSAK. I must have connected it to my MAC recently and it started to make the constant tone on shutdown. I thought it was on it's way to electronic graveyard. Downloaded Clean Eject, works like a charm. :D