Cache log statistics/caching etiquiette

Hi All,

My team only has 19 finds, but I have already posted several "did not find"s and one "needs maintenance" when everything was soaked. I have also written a few notes in logs, saying something like "I am glad someone found it after we didn't, that means it wasn't muggled"

How much do cache owners care about or watch their statistics?

Is it ok to use notes this way?

Is it appropriate to alert the owner that everything is wet this way, or should I have just sent a message to the owner or noted it in my "found it" log?

ALSO, I have seen mention of some cachers that carry paper around in the event that a log is wet...is this common practice...if so, how does one find out about all these common practices?

:o Sorry, that's a lot of questions in one post, but they all kind of go together...

Hi All,

My team only has 19 finds, but I have already posted several "did not find"s and one "needs maintenance" when everything was soaked. I have also written a few notes in logs, saying something like "I am glad someone found it after we didn't, that means it wasn't muggled"

How much do cache owners care about or watch their statistics?

Is it ok to use notes this way?

Is it appropriate to alert the owner that everything is wet this way, or should I have just sent a message to the owner or noted it in my "found it" log?

ALSO, I have seen mention of some cachers that carry paper around in the event that a log is wet...is this common practice...if so, how does one find out about all these common practices?

:o Sorry, that's a lot of questions in one post, but they all kind of go together...

As a cache owner here's how I look at log entries:

(1) TFTC... That means the cache is OK

(2) DNF..... That means that you coulldn't find it, it might need maintenance, I'll see what the next few log entries are

(3) NM...... Yep it needs maintenance. Something is amiss with the cache.

You don't have to post a followup note of any kind.

I always have a spare notebook that I can take pages from and replace as needed. I also carry baggies. Basically I can do some cache maintenance if it needs it.

How do you learn these things? It's partly common sense and some comes from caching with more experienced cachers, or talking to them at events and asking questions.

Some cache owners watch the condition of their caches closely and will respond as quickly as possible to issues. Others are lazy and just don't seem to care.

If the cache is in poor shape a Needs Maint log is appropriate, though some cache owners seem to take offense if you log one (they really shouldn't).

Notes are fine as as long as you don't go overboard.

I like reading information about my caches.

Any log is better than no log.

Log a DNF if you searched and did not find the cache.

Log a NM if its needs maintenance.

Log a 'note' if you have something to say about it.

log a 'find' the first time you find it.

Seems simple enough. :D

I'm a bit of a noob, but I usually mention a NM in my found it log if the cache needs just a simple maintenance: new log/logbook (if I didn't bring one). But if the cache is falling apart, and needs a new container I post a Needs Maintenance log along with my found it log.

I agree with StarBrand, I like all the info I can get on my cache! :D

I have only been caching a year. I have 6 hides. I love to read the logs

I have been trying to make the caches more challenging as I go.

I would like to read logs that tell me how long it took to find

I hate tftc

When I am searching for a cach, I dislike ones you can spot from 50 yards away

especially in a park, its like a lamppost in the woods

Been thinking about things now that people have given some helpful replies.

1. logging a DNF helps me also, it shows up in my profile and I can remember which ones I need to get back to.

So, even if I have limited time to look, and don't find...I will still log it.

2. I logged a note "thank you" after the CO replaced a wet log I reported...guess that is unnecessary and causes a bit of clutter...so I'll reserve notes for direct information or comment about a cache.

3. WOW, I just had a revelation :D , I have been making my own little notebooks out of scrap paper (particularly the back of "a-day desk calendars") for decades. I just staple them together, nothing fancy, sometimes cut them in 1/2 to make them smaller. But these would make great temporary logs to carry around in our "swag bag", as I call it, in the event of encountering wet logs in caches.

:laughing:

Personally, we do not like it when people sign a piece of paper and toss it into a cache. It creates junky clutter, and will usually end up being just as wet as a logbook (if that is the issue). Similarly if they resort to that simply because the logbook is full -- there is most always some room to fit a signature there.

We appreciate those "NM" logs, as we do care for our placements.

We always carry spare logbooks and (good, not cheap) ziplock baggies to add to a cache that needs it. We fill out the first page w/that cache # and name, also noting that it is a replacement logbook and is not an FTF opportunity. :D

Our "found it" log will note this addition to the cache, for the CO. Never take the original logbook, even if ruined as it belongs to the CO.

Hope this helps, if even just a little. :laughing:

Personally, we do not like it when people sign a piece of paper and toss it into a cache. It creates junky clutter, and will usually end up being just as wet as a logbook (if that is the issue). Similarly if they resort to that simply because the logbook is full -- there is most always some room to fit a signature there.

We appreciate those "NM" logs, as we do care for our placements.

We always carry spare logbooks and (good, not cheap) ziplock baggies to add to a cache that needs it. We fill out the first page w/that cache # and name, also noting that it is a replacement logbook and is not an FTF opportunity. :D

Our "found it" log will note this addition to the cache, for the CO. Never take the original logbook, even if ruined as it belongs to the CO.

Hope this helps, if even just a little. :laughing:

Thanks for being such great COs!

I read through the logs of one of the caches we just found this past weekend. We had to dump 1/2 cup of water out of it AND the log is soaked. People had been reporting the wet log for weeks. Not every CO is a vigilant as you folk.

Also, I didn't mean i'd just toss it in there. I would put it in a ziplock for sure and put a note on it "temporary log as current one is water-logged" or something and then note it in the online log that I had done so. I believe in re-use as much as possible. No need to get new paper, when we can write just as well on the back of old. Could staple some cardboard to it too, for ease of writing.

When I come across a cache that has a soaked/full log, broken, etc. I read the previous logs to see how many other people have reported the problem. Often, I will look up the owner's profile to see when they last logged in. I don't know how many caches I've found where the owner hasn't signed in for a year... Maybe I'm a little heartless but if the owner doesn't care about the cache anymore I'm not too inclined to help out. If the owner seems active and takes care of their caches, I have extra waterproof paper and baggies in my geobag and I'm happy to give the cache some help.