etrex shuts off, vibration likely the issue

I have had an etrex Legend HCx for almost two years now. It has worked flawlessly in my pocket or in the car. I finally got a handlebar mount for my motorcycle and bam shuts off over and over.

Ive tried rubber bands, electrical tape, and wedging the batteries to help prevent movement. Nothing seems to help.

The motorcycle is a single cylinder 650cc dirt bike so needless to say, vibration occurs.

Basically, I either need a solution that works 100% of the time or I am looking for a replacement. I dont want to wire an extra circuit for 12v, I want to use rechargeable batteries.

My question is even though this may be an extreme case, does anyone know if the Oregon models from Garmin have the battery problem solved? Does anyone know of a mapping GPS that I can rely on?

Any other advice or things you can think of would be appreciated.

Thank You

IU

Edited by insert_username
My question is even though this may be an extreme case, does anyone know if the Oregon models from Garmin have the battery problem solved? Does anyone know of a mapping GPS that I can rely on?

Any other advice or things you can think of would be appreciated.

Odds are that if the vibrations on your single cause the eTrex to turn off, it'll do the same to just about any battery powered gps.

I had a 60CSx on my R1150GS and it only ever turned off on one road in Newfoundland where the vibrations were severe. I had it powered by the bike, and had fresh batteries in it, but unless the gps was in my pocket, that road made it turn off while mounted on the bars.

That being said, this may help you find a solution: http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_batteries.html