new GPS

Pretty broad question. They pretty much all do the same thing, some do it with more bells & whistles.

Do you have a budgeted amount?

Used ones for $50 and less, top-of-the-line ones for upwards of $500 - $600.

New lower priced units are thereabout $150.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Pretty broad question. They pretty much all do the same thing, some do it with more bells & whistles.

NO budget really I dont want to spend 1000 I would say about 500 or close to it, i have been reading alot on a GPSmap60cxs, know anytjing on them

NO budget really I dont want to spend 1000 I would say about 500 or close to it, i have been reading alot on a GPSmap60cxs, know anytjing on them

No longer in production. Supposedly a new version is about to be released. I imagine the list price may be fairly steep.

In that price range (and a bit lower): In order of popularity

Garmin Oregon, Colorado lines

Delorme PN-40, PN-60

Magellan is making a good comeback with new units.

These are all hand-held units, not in-car units.

No longer in production. Supposedly a new version is about to be released. I imagine the list price may be fairly steep.

The GPSmap60CSx might be out of production but you can still find it for sale at Amazon. If you're looking at spending around $500, you could get the 60CSx and an auto GPS and read up on going paperless. Alot of the older Nuvi models (which still work great for auto-navigation) are going for $125 or less.

I started geocaching with a Oregon 400t. I really liked the loaded maps and the paperless features. And the unit is real easy to use. But then I lost it or it was stolen. Not sure which. Anyway I replaced it with a Oregon 550T. I really like it and would highly recommend it if you have the budget to spend. There isn't much I don't like about this unit. The compass is much better than the 400T. And the camera is a nice add on cause you don't have to carry a camera long. Just my 2 cents.

I am looking for something with good basemaps and easy to use. I need something that tracks good in the deep canopy. I have read on the PN-40 but from what I can see its about 700 a little high unless I am looking in the wrong places.

The PN-40's original MSRP was $399, so either you're looking in the wrong places or you're misreading something. It can be had for well under $250 today.

I am looking for something with good basemaps and easy to use. I need something that tracks good in the deep canopy. I have read on the PN-40 but from what I can see its about 700 a little high unless I am looking in the wrong places.

The PN-40's original MSRP was $399, so either you're looking in the wrong places or you're misreading something. It can be had for well under $250 today.

I just ordered my PN-40 for $214 shipped which I think is a steal. Use google shopping searches to get the some pretty good prices on the models your interested in. That's what I had the best luck with for great prices.

Please specify which country you are in and what units of currency your budget is in, since you're either not talking in US Dollars, or you are doing VERY poorly in searching for a good price if you can't find anything less than (MSRP + 300)...

Garmin Oregon 450 is around $350 USD, a bit less if you search. Plenty of free maps available for it.

PN-40 is $250ish and comes with basic maps, but they're on par in detail with "100k" Garmin maps and there is no easy way to load more detailed topo maps. There is also no way to load arbitrary raster data to them without spending $100+ for XMap, and the aerial imagery available as part of the DeLorme subscription service (USGS imagery) is significantly lower detail than what is available for free from many government sources (such as New York GIS 1 foot aerial imagery, similar imagery is available for free in Pennsylvania.)

I just ordered my PN-40 for $214 shipped which I think is a steal. Use google shopping searches to get the some pretty good prices on the models your interested in. That's what I had the best luck with for great prices.

Just make sure you're buying from an authorized seller, so that you can take advantage of the DeLorme 30-day return policy (send back to DeLorme, get a refund) if you decide you don't like it.

It doesn't seem to be a discontinued item as per Garmin's website???

As a LEO, you might give the Oregon 550 or Oregon 550T a serious look. The addition of the built in camera that geotags photos would be a plus in evidence gathering and investigations.

The prices listed on those pages are Retail, shop around and you can find much better street prices.

Edited by coggins

I am totally hooked on caching, but saddened that I do not have the equipment to do the long hike finds. I am on a ridiculously tight budget, probably shouldn't even discovered this sport, and have been eying around for a cheap used hand-held. I found this model, (discontinued) Garmin GPS 12 for 25$ ...... anyone know? good deal, will it work for what I need?

thanks in advance!!

~5$

I am totally hooked on caching, but saddened that I do not have the equipment to do the long hike finds. I am on a ridiculously tight budget, probably shouldn't even discovered this sport, and have been eying around for a cheap used hand-held. I found this model, (discontinued) Garmin GPS 12 for 25$ ...... anyone know? good deal, will it work for what I need?

thanks in advance!!

~5$

The 12 is discontinued? Amazing. :o

It's an antique, but it will work. Won't be any bells and whistles, mind you.

thanks in advance!!

~5$

I am sure you have noticed, but I know pretty much nada about GPSes. I know basically what they are used for, though I have no guesses at what the "bells and whistles" might be. They make toast and my bed?

I also do not know how to use them for what I do know that they are used for.

So, as a beginner cacher and a beginner GPSer do you think this antique would be a fair match?

Is it fairly easy to operate and navigate? (pun was an after thought)

and I am guessing, provided it is in working order, 25$ is worth the investment?

Also, geocaching is just about the only thing I would be likely using it for.

thank you again!!

much respect~ 5$

thanks in advance!!

~5$

I am sure you have noticed, but I know pretty much nada about GPSes. I know basically what they are used for, though I have no guesses at what the "bells and whistles" might be. They make toast and my bed?

So, as a beginner cacher and a beginner GPSer do you think this antique would be a fair match?

and I am guessing, provided it is in working order, 25$ is worth the investment?

thank you again!!

much respect~ 5$

I had two 12XL Garmins so I have a good idea of what you might go through if you buy it. The 12 is very basic. As a beginning cacher, you'd be far better off getting something like an eTrex Legend, if you're really strapped for cash. The Legend can be found used for as little as $50. I recently bought an eTrex Legend C for $60, for instance.

The 12 would not be worth $25, in my opinion.

thanks in advance!!

~5$

thank you again!!

much respect~ 5$

I had two 12XL Garmins so I have a good idea of what you might go through if you buy it. The 12 is very basic. As a beginning cacher, you'd be far better off getting something like an eTrex Legend, if you're really strapped for cash. The Legend can be found used for as little as $50. I recently bought an eTrex Legend C for $60, for instance.

The 12 would not be worth $25, in my opinion.

thank you so much for your advice!!

~5$

FWIW, we started with a GPS12 -- as that was what I got (years ago).

It will get you there and back (nothing more and nothing less)!

It utilizes four AA batteries and the battery life is no longer than many newer units using 2 AA's.

Gray-scale screen, no maps. It may be waypoint downloadable w/serial cord (if you can find one).

Hand loading of coords is bulky, and doing so opens the door to make easy mistakes, especially if you are loading up a bunch. It will not accept the full cache name or even the shorter cache number in full.

You would need to print out the cache page for hints and descriptions to carry with you, and that can make for a lot of stuff to carry while caching. A clip-board is almost a necessity.

Bottom line is that it does work -- ours held a signal better than some newer models -- but at some point you will want to upgrade. Best advice is to bite the bullet, skip this step and upgrade now! :D