Caching Road Trip - KS City to Omaha

BBWolf+3Pigs

Howdy from New England!

A small group of us are thinking about heading to the Great Plains for a caching road trip this coming October. We are thinking about flying in to Kansas City, and caching our way to Omaha and then back to Kansas City. We'd have pretty much a full day in each direction, with the overnight in Omaha (we'd fly into KS City the night before).

We would love some cache recommendations along our route. Fun, creative, great views. No long walks (due to our time constraints). Anything to show off the local scenery and caching community. It might also be fun to meet local cachers as well.

One of the other goals of the trip would be to sample the local food. We hear there's BBQ to be found in Kansas City, and beef in Omaha. Any truth to those rumors? :anicute: Little local places between the two cities would be great for lunch and breakfast as well.

We've done these types of trips in the past, and have had a lot of fun driving, eating, caching, and enjoying each others company. We're hoping this trip continues that tradition.

Thanks in advance for any help.

We hear there's BBQ to be found in Kansas City, and beef in Omaha. Any truth to those rumors? :o

I got two words for ya in KC...Arthur Bryant's. The one at Brooklyn and 18th is the original and the best, but don't know if you wanna go down there at whatever time you'll be arriving. The one at the Legend's Mall is about 20 minutes by Interstate from the airport, very easy to get to (not too far out of the way to Omaha). Cabela's is pretty much across the street from the Legends Mall. The shop in the airport is good (if you don't know what BBQ right out of the smoker is supposed to taste like) and you can stock up on sauces on your way out of town.

BTW...if you go there, you might want to keep an eye on the "3Pigs"...Arthur Bryant's knows what to do with pigs! Just saying :o

[:D] Indeedy, there is terrific BBQ to be had in Kansas City!!

We were there in March. The first night we went to Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas...not really far from the airport on the Missouri side at all. Great food,a little pricey but incredibly good. Forget the french fries and cole slaw, upgrade to the cheesy corn and pit beans[^]

The next night we went to B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ on 85th st. on the Kansas City, Missouri side. BBQ meets the blues, live music Tues-Sunday. Best food ever! Low prices, down home feel...we are going back to Kansas City in June and you can bet we will make a trip back here!

In Omaha, I very highly recommend the Upstream Brewing Co. in the Old Market area... actually, anything in the Old Market is fun to see/do! It's really close to the Henry Doorley, which is a VERY impressive zoo... but, its an all day event! (We're zoo-holics, so I have lots of basis for comparison! KC Zoo is OK... HD is better!). The Lawrence of Arabia steamboat was $$ but really cool... really worth the money. (That's a KC attraction). And, if you head into downtown KC, go to the public library... it's worth it for the view! (google it. lots of pics).

In KC, we ate at the 75th street brewery, VERY yummy! A bit pricey for what it was, but, excellent food! And KC BBQ... well, that's a loaded question & a half! We were overly impressed with Jack Stack, near Union Station. WAY too much food... & so good it's hard to stop eating!! (Jack Stack was recommended to us by some locals... 75th street brew pub was a google find).

We tried to do some caching when we were near Union Station & there's caches to be found... we had problems with time constraints (don't make set dinner plans that are 45 min away! I'm just saying... doesn't work!) & then my poor little geomate junior didn't like the uber-tall buildings blocking it's signal!

In my humble opinion... Des Moines is much more impressive than Omaha! I'm sure Omaha-ians would argue this... & i'm probably biased... but, i'm sure its true! We've got the bridges of madison county just south of us... GORGEOUS in the fall. We did a caching day & found a really cool virtual cache, with a view that I'm amazed to find in Iowa! (GC2532) & there's even a cache at John Wayne's birth place! Yup. Iowa FTW! ;-)

I would highly recommend GC217C Point of Beginning. Don't let the fact that it is one of my caches discourage you. I adopted it because it is such a unique location.

As for BBQ in KC the best is actually L&C down near the stadiums. Next would be Arthur Brandts on 18th and Brookland.

But for your trip I would recommend Smokebox BBQ Cafe at Tiffany Springs. It is at the second exit south of the airport on I-29 to the east of the highway. It is a little know but extremely good BBQ place that I stop at often on my way to the airport.

In my humble opinion... Des Moines is much more impressive than Omaha! I'm sure Omaha-ians would argue this... & i'm probably biased... but, i'm sure its true! We've got the bridges of madison county just south of us... GORGEOUS in the fall. We did a caching day & found a really cool virtual cache, with a view that I'm amazed to find in Iowa! (GC2532) & there's even a cache at John Wayne's birth place! Yup. Iowa FTW! ;-)

We are actually re-thinking things. We look at the maps, and we may cache from KC to Madison County for the Bridges (one of the group is a photo-holic), and then head to Omaha for dinner and the overnight. Doesn't add to much more driving, but adds some local color to the trip.

Give me enough advance notice and I will be glad to serve as cache-tour guide, in and around Omaha, if you want. :blink:

When we have firm dates, I will post here. Not sure how much caching we will be doing in Omaha, but we *will be* eating and drinking. Perhaps some of the locals can meet up with us for some socializing.

We are actually re-thinking things. We look at the maps, and we may cache from KC to Madison County for the Bridges (one of the group is a photo-holic), and then head to Omaha for dinner and the overnight. Doesn't add to much more driving, but adds some local color to the trip.

If this were facebook, i'd click "like"!

My husband is a professional photog... I'll see if i can figure out where he's stashing the pics from our last trip to the bridges for your friend to see what's in store! :-)

Give me enough advance notice and I will be glad to serve as cache-tour guide, in and around Omaha, if you want. :)

When we have firm dates, I will post here. Not sure how much caching we will be doing in Omaha, but we *will be* eating and drinking. Perhaps some of the locals can meet up with us for some socializing.

We likes socializing, precious. Yes, we does....

If you fly into KCI (MCI), there is a travel bug hotel just north of the airport. IF you want to move some TBs, I would drop in there. If you review my events from the last week, you will find many good caches, but few with TBs. Most of mine were to the south, so may not apply to your situation.

OK..looks like we are a "Go" for the Midwest.

Here's the basic plan:

16 Oct

Arrive MCI ~1100

Lunch on the way out of town (BBQ recommendations?)

Drive to Winterset, IA, stopping to grab a cache or two in MO on the way

Take pix of the bridges (at sunset for some I hope), visit The Duke's birthplace, grab some caches (including Treetop Getaway)

Grab dinner at a local place (recommendations?)

Drive to Omaha to overnight (by 9p-ish)

17 Oct (Sun)

Drive to Ponca State Park, NE (Nerves wants to be there for sunrise!), grabbing something yummy for breakfast on the way (recommendations between Omaha & Sioux City for a grab and go breakfast?)

Lunch in the Sioux City area (Any recommendations?)

Drive into SD for a couple of grabs

Drive back to Omaha, caching as we go (we may be trying to find 5 different cache types for a local challenge cache)

Dinner at Johnny's Cafe

Beers afterward (recommendations?)

18 Oct (Mon)

Breakfast (recommendations?)

Drive back to MCI, caching as we go

BBQ for lunch as we get close to MCI (any recommendations? - someplace different than Day 1)

Some additional info is requested:

What would be an area in Omaha to grab a hotel? We may be using HotWire which just gives general areas. We've had luck with them before, but want to make sure we avoid less than good areas.

Cache recommendations along the above routes. I've done some "cherry picking", looking for nice views and such, but recommendations are always appreciated.

I haven't run it by the "Crew", but perhaps we can meet some locals after dinner for a beer to celebrate the adventure.

Thanks in advance!

(Edited to add we need recommendations for lunch in Sioux City area)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

One other thing, check the cost of flights to Omaha and reverse your route. Car rental from KC is going to be twice as much because of city taxes.

IF you want to AVOID 90% of the KC Taxes, Find a local cacher to pick you up at the airport, and drive out to Lee's Summit Hertz. I used them ALOT this last year, and NEVER had an issue at all! of course, you loose an hour, but you GAIN the knowledge of knowing a 'local' cacher...

The Steaks

P.S I would, but I work at night...

One other thing, check the cost of flights to Omaha and reverse your route. Car rental from KC is going to be twice as much because of city taxes.

IF you want to AVOID 90% of the KC Taxes, Find a local cacher to pick you up at the airport, and drive out to Lee's Summit Hertz. I used them ALOT this last year, and NEVER had an issue at all! of course, you loose an hour, but you GAIN the knowledge of knowing a 'local' cacher...

The Steaks

P.S I would, but I work at night...

Thanks. I looked at HotWire, and I can get a full size for ~$75 total. Not a bad deal, and we won't have to waste the hour.

Here's the basic plan:

16 Oct

Arrive MCI ~1100

Take pix of the bridges (at sunset for some I hope), visit The Duke's birthplace, grab some caches (including Treetop Getaway)

17 Oct (Sun)

Drive to Ponca State Park, NE (Nerves wants to be there for sunrise!), grabbing something yummy for breakfast on the way (recommendations between Omaha & Sioux City for a grab and go breakfast?)

Drive back to Omaha, caching as we go (we may be trying to find 5 different cache types for a local challenge cache)

Dinner at Johnny's Cafe

18 Oct (Mon)

BBQ for lunch as we get close to MCI (any recommendations? - someplace different than Day 1)

What would be an area in Omaha to grab a hotel? We may be using HotWire which just gives general areas. We've had luck with them before, but want to make sure we avoid less than good areas.

Cache recommendations along the above routes. I've done some "cherry picking", looking for nice views and such, but recommendations are always appreciated.

I haven't run it by the "Crew", but perhaps we can meet some locals after dinner for a beer to celebrate the adventure.

Thanks in advance!

Lemme think...

Here's the basic plan:

16 Oct

Arrive MCI ~1100

17 Oct (Sun)

Dinner at Johnny's Cafe

18 Oct (Mon)

Thanks in advance!

Lemme think...

Hello from Bellevue, Nebraska!! Sister and brother-in-law just introduced us to geo-caching this weekend. We took a trip to Nebraska City and picked up 14 caches. We are hooked now! Here's a cache suggestion for Monday morning..it's called Wheels: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...08-cc9063d9d1c9

It is located in Haworth Park in Bellevue, NE. Right near Missouri River and Iowa border.

Thought if you got into Bellevue, Mission Ave (a few caches on this street), there is a little diner called the Downtown Coffee Shop. Nothing fancy...just your normal breakfast fare. Haworth Park is just down the street, you could grab the cache (it's a tough one...but not a lot of walking, you can drive right up to it), cross the bridge into Iowa and easily hop on I-29.

Make sure to post your "beer" stop and maybe we could meet up with you!

~GBR93~

Howdy from New England!

A small group of us are thinking about heading to the Great Plains for a caching road trip this coming October. We are thinking about flying in to Kansas City, and caching our way to Omaha and then back to Kansas City. We'd have pretty much a full day in each direction, with the overnight in Omaha (we'd fly into KS City the night before).

We would love some cache recommendations along our route. Fun, creative, great views. No long walks (due to our time constraints). Anything to show off the local scenery and caching community. It might also be fun to meet local cachers as well.

One of the other goals of the trip would be to sample the local food. We hear there's BBQ to be found in Kansas City, and beef in Omaha. Any truth to those rumors? :rolleyes: Little local places between the two cities would be great for lunch and breakfast as well.

We've done these types of trips in the past, and have had a lot of fun driving, eating, caching, and enjoying each others company. We're hoping this trip continues that tradition.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Has anyone eaten at:

Mckenna's Blues, Booze & BBQ

7425 Pacific St

Omaha, NE 68114

Baby Huey's BBQ

1440 W. Military Ave.

Fremont, NE 68025

River Barbecue

6511 East Front Street

Kansas City, MO 64120

Dickey's Barbecue Pit

7284 W. 121st Street

Overland Park, KS 66213

Any good?

Thanks~

I'll meet you for a beer if your in Kansas City long enough. As for BBQ, I like Quicks, but there is only one of those I believe on Merriam Drive. Call me a weirdo, but I am not a big fan of Bryant's and I have lived here all my 34 years.

KC will be in and outs, unfortunately. Just long enough for BBQ! We wil look into Quick's as well.

BBQ is like Cheesesteaks in Philly, Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago, Think Crust pizza in NYC. It's like a religion. To me though, good BBQ is good BBQ.

17 Oct (Sun)

Dinner at Johnny's Cafe

Instead of going into Sioux City for lunch you might consider going northwest from Ponca to Vermillion SD and maybe Yankton. Lots of geocaches and some pretty good scenary. Both have the usual fast food places or just south of Yankton is a good steakhouse.

Have fun

Old Man 124

ps: are you bringing pathtags or geocoins to trade with?

Instead of going into Sioux City for lunch you might consider going northwest from Ponca to Vermillion SD and maybe Yankton. Lots of geocaches and some pretty good scenary. Both have the usual fast food places or just south of Yankton is a good steakhouse.

Have fun

Old Man 124

ps: are you bringing pathtags or geocoins to trade with?

Thanks for the ideas. Yankton is a bit too far out of the way, since we need to be back in Omaha for dinner and the event. Vermillion is a possibility, though.

For lunch we were looking at a Charlie Boy (loosemeat sandwich) since it sounds good and would be something new. We don't do chain restaurants on these road trips.

I will be leaving one 2010 Little Rhody Fluke Geocoin in a cache in each state (so 5 total) and will giving out some at the event in Omaha on Sunday. I also have some left over Pathtags from my summer event I will dropping along the way.

Since you are heading the wrong direction from KC for GC30 (the oldest active geocache) you can still get one of the few geocaches left over from the first year (2000). GC37. I'm hoping to get that one myself next time I'm heading through KC. I may be going to Colorado in a couple of months and will try to swing Mingo. Good luck and have fun.