New and excited, with a couple questions!

2i2_D3gr33s

Ok, so I'm brand new to geocaching, and just got started. Heard about it from my parents, and decided to pick up Geocaching for dummies, and a Garmin Venture HC. I think I have the jist of things figured out so far. Downloaded some topo maps for my area, and figured out how to put the caches onto the GPS (one at a time...). Is there an easier way to put these on the unit I'm using? It would be nice just to click a whole page and transfer them... but it saves it to a file instead. I figured out how to import them to the basemap program that came with my GPS, but I can't figure out how to move them from there to the GPS.

I've found 4 or 5 caches so far, and the kids are having just as much fun as I am so far... But we havent found any of the trackable items yet. I was planning on searching for some, but had a couple questions before I do.

1) Do you trade for these trackable items, or just move them?

2) Is there any specific place you have to move them to, or can you bring them wherever you want?

3) I havent hidden any of my own caches yet, but can I purchase trackable items somewhere, and use other people's caches as a starting point? Also, where can I purchase them?

4) Where are these tracked online for when I do come across one?

5) Also, anyone know where to find pens attached to carabiners? None of the sporting goods stores around here carry any, and they would come in pretty handy!

Thanks in advance for any responses from you all...

-Ron

Ron, Welcome..

I'm not real familiar with the GPSr you have so I can't comment there.

1)you do not need to trade for trackable items

2)Some trackable items have a specific mission, check the trackable items web page to see what it's mission is and where it has been.

3)You can buy travel bugs and Geocoins at lots of places.just google it and you will see many options. You can launch your own Trackables anywhere you wish.

4)on the left side of the main geocahing page there is a lick for trackable items..all the info you want is there. I don't know any more specifics as I don't own any yet.

s there an easier way to put these on the unit I'm using? It would be nice just to click a whole page and transfer them... but it saves it to a file instead

Get EasyGPS or GSAK. EasyGPS is free and simple to use. There is a charge for GSAK after a trial period and it is more complicated, but far more powerful than EasyGPS.

Save that file to your disk and open it with GSAK or EasyGPS and click Sent to GPS.

If you become a premium member it gets even better. You can run pocket queries, which allow you to select caches by size, type, terrain, difficulty and other criteria and get up to 1,000 caches at a time from the PQ.

You can then load that file to GSAK or EasyGPS and send to your unit.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be looking into a premium membership on payday! Sounds like there's alot more options that way. Also, will try downloading the programs you mentioned. Just one more quick question... most forums have a FAQ stickied somewhere (probably regarding everything I've asked, lol) but I couldn't find it... If there is one, anyone got a link? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be looking into a premium membership on payday! Sounds like there's alot more options that way. Also, will try downloading the programs you mentioned. Just one more quick question... most forums have a FAQ stickied somewhere (probably regarding everything I've asked, lol) but I couldn't find it... If there is one, anyone got a link? Thanks!

Here is one link: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749

Here is an even better one: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Welcome fellow Michiganian. :anicute:

s there an easier way to put these on the unit I'm using? It would be nice just to click a whole page and transfer them... but it saves it to a file instead

Get EasyGPS or GSAK. EasyGPS is free and simple to use. There is a charge for GSAK after a trial period and it is more complicated, but far more powerful than EasyGPS.

Save that file to your disk and open it with GSAK or EasyGPS and click Sent to GPS.

If you become a premium member it gets even better. You can run pocket queries, which allow you to select caches by size, type, terrain, difficulty and other criteria and get up to 1,000 caches at a time from the PQ.

Just to clarify, you do not have to pay anything for GSAK ever, it's a free program. After the trail period though, you will have a 10 second nag screen every time you start the program, if you don't pay the registration, but the program still fully works just the same. I paid it just because I thought the program was so good, I wanted to show my support for all the hard work that went into it.

GSAK works great for that unit, that's what I use. Once you get it set up, it's just one click to load your PQs to the unit. But like was said, it has a high learning curve. Once you learn it though, it will be your most valuable possession.

Just to clarify, you do not have to pay anything for GSAK ever, it's a free program. After the trail period though, you will have a 10 second nag screen every time you start the program, if you don't pay the registration, but the program still fully works just the same. I paid it just because I thought the program was so good, I wanted to show my support for all the hard work that went into it.

GSAK works great for that unit, that's what I use. Once you get it set up, it's just one click to load your PQs to the unit. But like was said, it has a high learning curve. Once you learn it though, it will be your most valuable possession.

depending on usage the nag screen gets longer and longer and you get nag screens while it is running.

depending on usage the nag screen gets longer and longer and you get nag screens while it is running.

That's the first time I've ever heard that. Like I said, I paid for mine right after the trail ran out. I'll keep that in mind the next time someone asks. Thanks