Do's and Don't's for hiding caches

HiddenGemz68

I have just made 5 pots ready to place, but my friend says that there are certain places that you can't put them, like in shopping centres.

Is there a list anywhere, of criteria, or places that you are not allowed to put them.

Also these will be my first hidden cache's!! Any advice, should I place first and then log on site? or other way round?

any tips would be appreciated =)

i would also wait intill you found a few like i placed my first one after i found over 100 that way you know how well ur gps and make sure thta you dont place it and no one be able to find it and so how well do you know ur gps??would you hind a cache having buying a gps?? :)

This section in the Knowledge Books could help a bit: Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

Basically is a step-by-step way to do it.

Draw up your cache submission report, UNCHECK this box: "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)", so you have time to check your coords, cross all your t's and dot the i's, etc. Take as long as you want to get it right -- hours, days, weeks -- it doesn't matter. You can save it [Report New Listing] but it does not go into the reviewer's queue with that box unchecked. You can re-open it to work on it or make corrections. It will also provide you with the Cache # so that you may add that to your logbook, cache container, etc.

When ready to submit for review, re-check that box and [Report New Listing] at the bottom of the page. Make sure the cache is IN PLACE when you do this. It may be published in a matter of minutes. You certainly wouldn't want an FTF hound to be there before you place the container, now would you?

EDIT: content

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Also.

Local guidelines can come in to play.

For the UK the GAGB have the list.

Read. As the UK reviewers are sticklers!

ie. We are not allowed to hide caches in UK dry stone walls. Other countries can hide cache in their dry stone walls..

www.gagb.co.uk/gagb/guidelines

edit

Having read your profile.

Member for 10 days, three days caching for 14 caches.

All/most rated 1.5/1.5 don't be in such a rush to hide.

Find a few more, and at different ratings!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Thank you all for advice. I have been geocaching for a while with my friend, and have only just joined the website myself as my friend has other commitments now, so decided I would start looking on my own, and with other friends.

I was mainly after the guidelines pages you have all been very helpful. I have hidden 5 tonight in a vacant area which I thought was a shame to go un-noticed on the geocaching map.

Please do not discriminate me because of my ratings. I took advice from another part of the site and logged the coordinates 4 times per cache and used the average. I have also taken pictures of the park, and checked with the Park Ranger who is happy to have the them hidden in the area to attract more people to the park.

Regards & Thanks

HiddenGemz

Thank you all for advice. I have been geocaching for a while with my friend, and have only just joined the website myself as my friend has other commitments now, so decided I would start looking on my own, and with other friends.

I was mainly after the guidelines pages you have all been very helpful. I have hidden 5 tonight in a vacant area which I thought was a shame to go un-noticed on the geocaching map.

Please do not discriminate me because of my ratings. I took advice from another part of the site and logged the coordinates 4 times per cache and used the average. I have also taken pictures of the park, and checked with the Park Ranger who is happy to have the them hidden in the area to attract more people to the park.

Regards & Thanks

HiddenGemz

Good Luck!

I always like to hide a cache in a place I myself would like to go. I think geocaching is a way to share cool places you like to visit with other people. :anicute:

Yes Definitely! This park is a really good park for all ages, I was really suprised that no one had put one there already!!

Parks are always good to hide a cache in. One of the reasons we geocache is because it lets us experience things in and around our area that are of interest that we didn't know were there. One of my first caches was a really detailed mural that was in my neighborhood. I probably would not have seen it if it weren't for the cache. Some people like to hide caches in a wal mart parking lot, but what is the point in that? Look for a lonely mountain top, urban artwork, city parks, a geological formation, etc. (Google Earth is really helpful in this) that is by itself in regards to caches. These will get people out in the environment experiencing something they would not normally see in their day to day errand running.

I was really suprised that no one had put one there already!!
There may be a reason for that.

Some of the "unused" parks around here have puzzle caches or the finals for multi-caches. Unless you solve the puzzles or finish the multi-caches, you wouldn't know that there actually are caches in the parks.

Other "unused" parks have had many short-lived caches. More experienced cache owners avoid hiding caches there because they realize how hard it will be to hide a cache that will last. New cache owners take advantage of the unclaimed territory, only to archive their caches after they are repeatedly muggled.

i would also wait intill you found a few like i placed my first one after i found over 100 ...

GC26B50 has had a few cynical comments around here - hardly surprising when they joined, logged 1 cache the day before :D and placed one cache on date joined!

A bit disappointing, but it hasn't lasted ...

Some of the "unused" parks around here have puzzle caches or the finals for multi-caches. Unless you solve the puzzles or finish the multi-caches, you wouldn't know that there actually are caches in the parks.

Other "unused" parks have had many short-lived caches. More experienced cache owners avoid hiding caches there because they realize how hard it will be to hide a cache that will last. New cache owners take advantage of the unclaimed territory, only to archive their caches after they are repeatedly muggled.

I did think about that, that there might be a reason for one not being there in th e first place, but I have placed them in the quiet areas of the park, although one is right by a road, but it's not a busy road, there are very few cars that drive through here, as there are always geese standing in the road that won't let the cars through lol.

And other "unsed" parks might not allow geocaching.