Iphone & Legen vs Oregon

I have used a Garmin Legend C for some time now and have added to that an Iphone with the official App.

Tempted to buy a new GPS (e.g. HCx) but since the old one works I am not sure I can justify it for just a little more accuracy. That said I have started looking for something more functional to combine GPS and Iphone such as the Oregon 450 (and possibly the GB Discoverer maps). Lets be honest - the battery and GPS in an Iphone sucks!

Today I have just upgraded my membership and created my first pocket query in an attempt to emulate the functionality of the Origon i.e. paperless caching for an entire area without having to have phone coverage or select caches one by one.

Initial impressions are good as it has eveything I need and still sorts nearest first. Only negative is it seems to be rather slow to view the list when first opened (downloaded the max 1000), will not have maps off line and still needs some better battery life.

So the only reason I can now see for paying 400GBP is to have an all in one device with better GPS accuracy and a map display. Cheap battery things on ebay for a tenner should provide a bit more juice and I can alway fall back to the Legend for navigating (need to investigate uploading a pocket query to that tonight)

Anyone in a simmilar situation care to add their thoughts?

I have used a Garmin Legend C for some time now and have added to that an Iphone with the official App.

Tempted to buy a new GPS (e.g. HCx) but since the old one works I am not sure I can justify it for just a little more accuracy. That said I have started looking for something more functional to combine GPS and Iphone such as the Oregon 450 (and possibly the GB Discoverer maps). Lets be honest - the battery and GPS in an Iphone sucks!

Today I have just upgraded my membership and created my first pocket query in an attempt to emulate the functionality of the Origon i.e. paperless caching for an entire area without having to have phone coverage or select caches one by one.

Initial impressions are good as it has eveything I need and still sorts nearest first. Only negative is it seems to be rather slow to view the list when first opened (downloaded the max 1000), will not have maps off line and still needs some better battery life.

So the only reason I can now see for paying 400GBP is to have an all in one device with better GPS accuracy and a map display. Cheap battery things on ebay for a tenner should provide a bit more juice and I can alway fall back to the Legend for navigating (need to investigate uploading a pocket query to that tonight)

Anyone in a simmilar situation care to add their thoughts?

read my posts and I am yet to find the perfect solutions

http://2010alaskatrip.wordpress.com/2010/0...caching-part-3/

http://2010alaskatrip.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/geo-caching/

http://2010alaskatrip.wordpress.com/2010/0...testing-part-2/

My Trial process so far:

1) Create pocket query for 1000 local traditional caches

2) Download to Iphone so I can view details off line, takes about a minute to load up the query though - is the Orgeon this slow.

3) Use GSAK to export the same query to the Legend after applying semi usefull details and cache code to the name.

4) Import original pockey query to Memory Maps and then Export to Iphone version of memory maps - only 1 kind of marker icon here so problems start - cant tell child markers from caches and if I try and put more than 1 type on I wont be able to tell the difference.

On the Road) Use memorymaps on Iphone to see where I am and pick a suitable cache based on where I am going, not just how far it is (which is why GeoCach app on its own is no use when off line). Search by name on GPS to find same cache and navigate to. Look up details on Iphone (after delay to load and then search for the correct GC)

This is good as it is an OS map and I use to view where I am and going to, pity it is restricted to only one type of cache marker. Also bit of a bind having to switch apps between Memory Maps and GC app to view details with the time it takes... especially if you switch back and forth as I was today since I didnt have my Legend with me so used Memory Maps to get me to the GZ - almos flat in a little over an hour of doing this.

So I am wondering ->

1) Does the Oregon display all the local cache locations (like on the googlemap) over whatever map you have loaded or do you have to just choose from the list like the search page on the site or the GC app running a PQ?

2) How long does it take to view and find caches that are stored on the device? i.e. is there a significant delay?

3) What are the UK Discoverer maps like? Notice they are only 50K and also over 100GBP but it would be shame to have a mapping GPS with no maps on it.

4) Have read a few -ve comments on the accuracy and lock which is why I am thinking about a new GPS in the first place so maybe a HCx model would be better (&Cheaper) for me.

I have 4000 caches on my Oregon 450 and it loads just as fast as it does with 5 on it.

Yes the Oregon will show the caches around you if you look at the map. Thats how I normally choose the next one to go after. When browsing caches it fast, really no loading time between screens.

From what it sounds like a Oregon will take care of what your doing now with the iPhone and the Legend.

I have a Oregon and iPhone and the only reason I use my iPhone will caching is if I don't have my Oregon or I want to look up a picture hint.