GPS Satellite Galaxy 15 Out of Control

I found this on Slashdot:

"The Galaxy 15 commercial satellite has not responded to commands since solar flares fried its CPU in April, and it won't turn off. Intelsat controllers moved all commercial payloads to other birds except for WAAS, a system that adds accuracy to GPS for landing aircraft and finding wayward geocaches. Since the satellite runs in 'bent pipe' mode, amplifying wide bands of RF that are beamed up to it, it is likely to interfere with other satellites as it crosses their orbital slots on its way to an earth-sun Lagrange point, the natural final destination of a geostationary satellite without maneuvering power."

Could be a good excuse for that DNF... :)

"The Galaxy 15 commercial satellite has not responded to commands since solar flares fried its CPU in April, and it won't turn off. Intelsat controllers moved all commercial payloads to other birds except for WAAS, a system that adds accuracy to GPS for landing aircraft and finding wayward geocaches. Since the satellite runs in 'bent pipe' mode, amplifying wide bands of RF that are beamed up to it, it is likely to interfere with other satellites as it crosses their orbital slots on its way to an earth-sun Lagrange point, the natural final destination of a geostationary satellite without maneuvering power."

Could be a good excuse for that DNF... :)

Funny you should mention that.

My Tomtom went absolutely nuts last week - I had been driving for a couple of hours absolutely fine and it suddenly decided I was about 1/2 a mile from where it thought I was, then it said I'd turned around and then it decided that the road I was on was actually parallel to the actual by about 300 yards.

i just left it and about 20 minutes later, it decided that I was on the M4 and knew where I was going.

Odd really.

Could be a good excuse for that DNF... :P

What?!! :P

This and volcanic ash... :)

Is there any point in going caching? :)

:)

My Tomtom went absolutely nuts last week - I had been driving for a couple of hours absolutely fine and it suddenly decided I was about 1/2 a mile from where it thought I was, then it said I'd turned around and then it decided that the road I was on was actually parallel to the actual by about 300 yards.

i just left it and about 20 minutes later, it decided that I was on the M4 and knew where I was going.

Odd really.

Nope, that's just the M4. Mine does it every time I get past the Severn Bridge. Only way to fix it is to turn round...

The good news is.... this satellite is 133 degrees west so serves the continental US. We can't pick up the WAAS signal in Europe from it so shouldn't be a problem. But it's a still a great excuse for those DNF's :D

Chris

Graculus - volunteer UK reviewer

UK Resource website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching Knowledge Books

Pain in the *** for those of us currently caching in Canada though! We had noticed a serious drop in accuracy but thought it was just us! Does funny things at the moment like changing its mind on distance and direction while stationary. We're used to the normal variations but this has been up to 40m each way! Still accurate enough most of the time but frustrating the rest!

Odd really.

Nope, that's just the M4. Mine does it every time I get past the Severn Bridge. Only way to fix it is to turn round...

Are you sure you don't have Avoid Wales turned on in prefs? it's right under Avoid Whales

Hi All

Not been in the forum for many months, but couldn't help but notice this topic. Was in Miami today and had no problems, but then Satellite 15 doesn't appear to be serving this part of the world. I had 07, 08, 11, 17, 19, 28, 48... B)

Back to Nevada tomorrow, perhaps I'll notice it then :)

Hi All

Not been in the forum for many months, but couldn't help but notice this topic. Was in Miami today and had no problems, but then Satellite 15 doesn't appear to be serving this part of the world. I had 07, 08, 11, 17, 19, 28, 48... B)

every satellite is servicing every part of the world, just not all at the same time. (minus the DGPS sats of course.)

Edited by dfx
Hi All

Galaxy 15 is the satellite name which is not the reference number you see on your satellite screen. As it is a WAAS satellite the number you see on the screen will be above 32 as this is where all the EGNOS/WAAS satellites are numbered

Edited by Just Roger