Caching in another country

I've decided I don't like phone-the-answer caches. When travelling overseas without the benefit of a mobile phone, it is frustrating to go to a cache location, read a clue, find a payphone, and phone in an answer before getting the next coords. Sometimes you only get one shot at these spots (like an hour lunch spot) so a return visit is not always possible.

And with no printer, and a limit of 1000 caches on my GPS, and no definite decided route from A to B, (or C then D then E etc) and no "hint" facility on my GPS (that I can see) it is frustrating to be spending so much time in internet cafes or using hotel-priced internet connection, scribbling away my notes, when I could be spending that time out finding caches.

I miss my printouts, cellphone, time, etc.

I'm just havin' a bit of a whinge.

Well, on to the abundance of nice quick traditionals for me.

Okay - what limitations have you found when "on tour" in a foreign country? Everyone wants other-country caches under their belt, I'm sure. Do you cache differently when overseas?

I've decided I don't like phone-the-answer caches. When travelling overseas without the benefit of a mobile phone, it is frustrating to go to a cache location, read a clue, find a payphone, and phone in an answer before getting the next coords. Sometimes you only get one shot at these spots (like an hour lunch spot) so a return visit is not always possible.

And with no printer, and a limit of 1000 caches on my GPS, and no definite decided route from A to B, (or C then D then E etc) and no "hint" facility on my GPS (that I can see) it is frustrating to be spending so much time in internet cafes or using hotel-priced internet connection, scribbling away my notes, when I could be spending that time out finding caches.

Okay - what limitations have you found when "on tour" in a foreign country? Everyone wants other-country caches under their belt, I'm sure. Do you cache differently when overseas?

I am sure that there are others that have found caches in many other countries than I but I'm up to 10 different countries, in Europe and Africa.

First of all, my approach is that my only real goal is to try and find one cache in a new country I'm visiting so that I can color in that country on the map. Beyond that, If I've got some free time to spend in a foreign country, even if I don't find any other caches...I'm spending free time in a foreign country. Since pretty much all my foreign travel is business related the biggest challenge is often just trying to have enough free time to get to spots where I can find a cache. For some of the countries that I have visited where there are very few caches in the country that can been very difficult. While in Ethiopia and Zambia I was unable to find any caches at all. Even though there were a couple of close caches to where I was staying in those countries just getting to those spots in the limited time I had (and without a personal vehicle) proved to be impossible. I was lucky to have found a cache in Tanzania, only because I scheduled in an extra day and was able to get a driver that took me to a National Game park where a cache was located. In four days in Tanzania I was never closer than 60 miles to any other cache.

Even in countries which did have more available caches to find, I primarily focus on a few caches and spent some time prior to leaving looking over cache listings to see which ones I might be able to find. In Paris, that meant solving a few difficult puzzles before I left home. Although many of the caches I've found in Europe had english versions of the descriptions there were many that did not so during my preparation I used google translate to translate descriptions and hints prior to leaving and made some notes about the ones that I wanted to get if necessary.

I have an iPhone with the Groundspeak app which allows me to create a PQ at home then "save" the listings for those caches on my phone. I don't have to turn on data roaming when in foreign countries to see cache listings. Some sort of smart phone or PDA which allows you to go "paperless" can be a big help when caching in foreign countries. Next time I travel I'm going to see if I can find a good translation app that I can load on my phone while in the field. The new Google Goggles app sounds like it would work well for this but it's not available on an iPhone.

Basically, when traveling abroad I forget about trying to find a lot of caches (not that I do any power caching while at home) and focus on just exploring the country and picking up a few caches that happen to be in places I'm seeing anyway.

I am sure that there are others that have found caches in many other countries than I but I'm up to 10 different countries, in Europe and Africa.

First of all, my approach is that my only real goal is to try and find one cache in a new country I'm visiting so that I can color in that country on the map. Beyond that, If I've got some free time to spend in a foreign country, even if I don't find any other caches...I'm spending free time in a foreign country. Since pretty much all my foreign travel is business related the biggest challenge is often just trying to have enough free time to get to spots where I can find a cache. For some of the countries that I have visited where there are very few caches in the country that can been very difficult. While in Ethiopia and Zambia I was unable to find any caches at all. Even though there were a couple of close caches to where I was staying in those countries just getting to those spots in the limited time I had (and without a personal vehicle) proved to be impossible. I was lucky to have found a cache in Tanzania, only because I scheduled in an extra day and was able to get a driver that took me to a National Game park where a cache was located. In four days in Tanzania I was never closer than 60 miles to any other cache.

Even in countries which did have more available caches to find, I primarily focus on a few caches and spent some time prior to leaving looking over cache listings to see which ones I might be able to find. In Paris, that meant solving a few difficult puzzles before I left home. Although many of the caches I've found in Europe had english versions of the descriptions there were many that did not so during my preparation I used google translate to translate descriptions and hints prior to leaving and made some notes about the ones that I wanted to get if necessary.

I have an iPhone with the Groundspeak app which allows me to create a PQ at home then "save" the listings for those caches on my phone. I don't have to turn on data roaming when in foreign countries to see cache listings. Some sort of smart phone or PDA which allows you to go "paperless" can be a big help when caching in foreign countries. Next time I travel I'm going to see if I can find a good translation app that I can load on my phone while in the field. The new Google Goggles app sounds like it would work well for this but it's not available on an iPhone.

Basically, when traveling abroad I forget about trying to find a lot of caches (not that I do any power caching while at home) and focus on just exploring the country and picking up a few caches that happen to be in places I'm seeing anyway.

I agree with NYPaddleCacher on this one. When I go to a new area I try to grab A cache to colour in my map, and spend the rest of the time just enjoying the area (may be caching, may not be, but after the first one, I don't sweat the "missed" caching opportunities).

I have never heard of phoning in caches - that sounds annoying and assumes some sort of phone coverage - I probably would have avoided those :)

Even when caching is a different state, I do some pre-trip planning, and look for fun or interesting caches to do. I rarely "go in blind" to a unknown area. I will in Nevada, Utah and Arizon later this year, and my "cherry picing" has come up with about 30 or so caches along the way. This shoud lmean I'll get at least one in each state!

A side benefit to this pre-trip research is to weed out caches that have maintenance issues or may not even be there.

Preparation it the key. Print out the listings of Multi or Mystery Caches. Use "Cache report" to save paper. Carry the listings with a PDA. Get some hotel with free wireless internet.

It's possible!

GermanSailor

My biggest issue is visualizing how far a meter is when my GPS switches to the local standards. I'm much more comfortable with good old American feet.

j/k Like NYP, my main goal is to get at least one for the coloration effect. On my last European trip I DNF's 3-4 in Switzerland on the only day I was able to get out. So on the next day I detoured about 40 min in the opposite direction of France (our next stop) to find one that appeared to be quite easy and scenic.

Other than that I will do most of my planning from home so that I am not surprised when I hit an unexpected snag on a multi or puzzle. And those, including ones that use public phones, do seem to be a bit more of the norm over there. But I do the same degree of planning anytime I plan to cache away more than 2 hours from home. YMMV

When traveling in another country or anywhere away from home, my goal is to experience the area. So I note the virtuals and earthcaches that in areas where we might otherwise visit, or offer the promise taking me to someplace I might not have discovered. I can probably spend a few minutes to look for a traditional cache if it happens to be where we are otherwise visiting -- or appears to be take us to a unique area. A good title might get my attention. But I rarely do a cache just to do a cache, unless are staying nearby, where I can get it while my wife or family are doing other things.

A cache that required me to make a phone call would not make my list -- neither would a four star difficulty hide. A cache where an owner tells you to email her or him for a hint after posting a dnf would be struck on general principles. Some caches are just for locals unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

But although we went to England to watch the PDC world's darts championships, caching added to our experience. Would I have traced the path of Jack the Ripper if not for caching? Probably not, yet we had a great time walking through an area we had never visited. I probably would not have found that particular 16th Century pub (although I am sure we would have found others), and may have given up on getting to the Camelot site if a cache had not encouraged me to see it. Barrows, Henges, Standing Stones, and Gorges added to the trip -- some might have been on our list in any event, others were discoveries in areas we had passed by on a previous trip.

We would have wondered through Venice streets in any event, but some of caches took us into areas we would not have seen. And while we were standing at the Sun Gate at the far end of Macchu Picchu or the Bank of Colorado on the peak high above it, I wondered if I would have gone outside the main tourist area without the caches. Probably, but . . . .

When I walked through the the hoodoos of Bryce, the narrows of Zion, or trails off the main path in Yosemite, it was at least in part because earthcaches or virtuals pointed the way. When I saw the store filled with aliens along the freeway, it was because a virtual pointed it out and got us to stop. Wherigos can be a great tour guide as well. And if I ever get to Toroweap, 60 miles from anywhere overlooking the Grand Canyon, it will be because another virtual inspired me. Sometimes life is too short to spend it at a lamp post in the mall. So plan well and caching can be a fun part of a great trip.

Preparation. Paperless information (on my gpsr/geosphere on the iphone/pda listings). And a family that is used to me wondering if our rental car can make it down a dirt road, or who do not mind looking at yet another set of ruins or petroglyphs, are all important.

Edited by Erickson

Erickson - I like the way you're thinking.

I like to mark significant places I've visited, by having a cache from there - the icon on your map reminds me of the great place. see "Hobbiton (Waikato)" in New Zealand.

The town I'm in now has an Earth Cache just down the road at the thermal springs pool. Must visit.

Yeah - when doing the research part, a few caches have lead me to spots I would not normally go. "Dad's New Bridge" in Victoria Australia lead me to the Big Koala, which some may find a tacky tourist attraction, but I thought was cute, in a King Kong kind of way.

Macchu Picchu - ooooh I want to go there. I've read so much about it, and it's on my list.

You are right - it's about the place, more than about the cache.

Also - I like the PDA idea - of course mine is back home, probably in my desk drawer at work. There's a useful spot for it. Not.

Also it occurs to me that if the town/village/castle/park/forest/desert/etc I'm in is worthy of a cache find, then it's worthy of spending enough time there (like a free hour) to actually go seeking that cache.

If you don't have an hour to spend caching, you're not on vacation, you're on a schedule.

I have screwed us up big time caching near the Prime Meridian. My husband has a little yellow and I input his coords by hand for him. If you aren't paying attention to whether the second number is E or W, you can be in a world of ouch.

Ooh I hadn't thought of that. That would work for equatorial caches too. So far my travels have been within the same semi-hemisphere. ie I've only cached in the S and the E.

...but there's still time.

Oooooh - does anyone have caches in all 4 combinations of N/S and E/W? I bow to your greatness. :anicute:

Erickson - I like the way you're thinking.

I like to mark significant places I've visited, by having a cache from there - the icon on your map reminds me of the great place. see "Hobbiton (Waikato)" in New Zealand.

The town I'm in now has an Earth Cache just down the road at the thermal springs pool. Must visit.

Yeah - when doing the research part, a few caches have lead me to spots I would not normally go. "Dad's New Bridge" in Victoria Australia lead me to the Big Koala, which some may find a tacky tourist attraction, but I thought was cute, in a King Kong kind of way.

Macchu Picchu - ooooh I want to go there. I've read so much about it, and it's on my list.

You are right - it's about the place, more than about the cache.

Also - I like the PDA idea - of course mine is back home, probably in my desk drawer at work. There's a useful spot for it. Not.

Also it occurs to me that if the town/village/castle/park/forest/desert/etc I'm in is worthy of a cache find, then it's worthy of spending enough time there (like a free hour) to actually go seeking that cache.

If you don't have an hour to spend caching, you're not on vacation, you're on a schedule.

That's may be true but none of the caches that I have found while in another country were found while on vacation although when I arrange travel while on business I often arrange my itinerary such that I *can* get an hour or more free to go caching. For my last trip to Europe I was speaking at a conference in Montpellier, France. Rather than fly in and out of Montpellier I few to Marseille, took the train the Montpellier, then took the train from their to Barcelona where I spent an extra day before flying home. I got to visit two countries instead of one *and* saved a couple hundred dollars (for those funding the trip) as well. I ended up getting 9 caches in Montpellier and 6 in Barcelona (and the virtual at Frankfurt airport on the way there).

Next week I'll be speaking at a conference in Urbana-Champaign, IL and again, rather then fly directly into the small airport in Chapaign I'm flying into Indianapolis, renting a car, and can find a few caches along the way. I'll be able to color both Illinois and Indiana on my map and save almost $200 as well.