How common is immunity to poison ivy/oak/sumac/Brazilian Peppercorn?

I was watching a Mythbusters episode, where the Kari, Tory, and Grant were trying to test poison ivy treatment myths, comparing things like vodka and other from-the-house methods, to commercial poison ivy solutions. They had to get the cameraman in on the myth, as the three were immune to the leaf!

I've run into what I think is poison ivy several times, and have never had any ill effects from brushing against the plant. I've also learned that the Brazilian peppercorn plant(Those pink/red peppercorns in the fancy peppercorns) has the same qualities as poison ivy/oak/sumac, as it's in the same family, but I've handled Brazilian peppercorn several times, and seem to be immune to that as well.

I was immune to poison ivy all my life. Used to break off a leaf and rub it on my skin to show off.

A couple of years ago, though, I got a big dose of SOMEthing. Stuck my hand in a patch of greenery (definitely not "leaves of three") looking for a cache. Broke out in a NASTY rash some hours later. Took weeks and weeks to heal, and I still have scars.

I have heard the statistic that approximately 15% to 30% of people do not suffer an allergic reaction to urushiol, which is the chemical agent in poison ivy.

Interesting. I'm rather dark complected (sunburn, what's that?) and I pretty much consider myself immune to the stuff. I'm sure an expert, or at least some informative interweb links are coming though. :)

I have never had any type of poison in my life. I've been through woods and weeds in shorts, and around others who had nasty cases of it many times (and not always was the most careful). I have also heard, though, that there is only a window of opportune times for people to actually get the poison, and that it's when the leaves actually excrete the oils...it's been too long now, but I think they said something about a time of year or season or something. I'm not sure how true that is, I just heard it from someone or read it somewhere...something. Like I said, it's been too long ago to remember exactly.

Some time ago (quite a very long time ago, really), I posed a question to a physician asking why I never seemed to catch the itch, when others with me always seemed to.

His response (to my surprise) was that I was probably immune. He added a caveat though -- the immunity can disappear w/o warning. You know it when you get the worst rash imaginable. Go figure! :)

Still have not gotten a case of the itches, thereabouts 40 yrs after posing the question.

EDIT: The wife (AKA Boss), contracted PI last year, following me to caches. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Some time ago (quite a very long time ago, really), I posed a question to a physician asking why I never seemed to catch the itch, when others with me always seemed to.

His response (to my surprise) was that I was probably immune. He added a caveat though -- the immunity can disappear w/o warning. You know it when you get the worst rash imaginable. Go figure! :)

Still have not gotten a case of the itches, thereabouts 40 yrs after posing the question.

EDIT: The wife (AKA Boss), contracted PI last year, following me to caches. :)

Yes, my daughter always said she was immune. Even planted a cache in the middle of some PO with impunity. Earlier this year her immunity ran out, got a doozer of a rash and ended up with an infection and had to take a week off work. Even if you think your immune consider yourself not immune and take precautions. If it runs out your hurting.

I have always been immune. I have also always heard that the immunity will probably fail at some point and that if/when it does the reaction will be all the worse. Sort of a payback for all those years of careless disregard.

And, I must say, a source of great amusement to siblings who have put up with "neener, neener it doesn't bother me" for all those years.

I have heard the statistic that approximately 15% to 30% of people do not suffer an allergic reaction to urushiol, which is the chemical agent in poison ivy.

From Poison Ivy Myths and Facts

... most experts believe that 50 to 80% of people will develop a rash after exposure to poison ivy.

That's a fairly wide range of 20% to 50% estimated to be susceptible. When I see it I avoid it.

No tempting fate for me, even though I don't seem to have any problems with it .... yet.

Uroshiol can be spread from one person to another, or from clothes and objects to another person. There are plenty of horror stories about people reacting to urushiol on gardening tools, gloves, lawn mowers, etc. Even if you think you're immune to it, being diligent about avoiding it may help prevent someone else from coming into contact with the oil. And, as others have mentioned, it's not unusual for people to develop allergies and sensitivities later on.

About every 10 years I get PO real bad and then am immune for another number of years. I have noticed that as the immunity starts to wear off I get mild cases, it takes a bad (last time in the hospital)case to become immune.

Needless to say I avoid PO.

I used to shoot field archery in the 70s, and our suspended target range was in a dry creek bed that was loaded with poison oak some of it shoulder high, so if you lost an arrow you either waded in after it or forgot it., Anyway poison oak never bothered me until I was about 43, so for all of you out there that say your immune to it, your day is coming :)

Edited by vagabond

I came across this study of the effect of eating urushiol on immunity on the FDA website.

It works for most, but it causes rashes in the mouth and anus for most too. Which would be why it's not a common practice. Eating poison ivy leaves being a suggested folk remedy for acquired immunity. I think I'll take my chances. I'd rather have it on my arm then on my anus, any day.....

Generally I have little or no response, but I've had 2 bad reactions in the last 10 years. Seems like a waxing and waning response.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Because my immune system is of the superior variety, I have remained immune to the effects of PO, PI, and all other similar plant irritants.

I have also surpassed the previously stated record of 43.

My current plans call for my immunity to those substances to remain effective until I reach the age of 85. At that point, I am fairly certain that it will no longer matter one way or the other.

Until then, eat your hearts out!!! :):):P:):yikes:

But please by all means DO NOT let your envy cause you to EAT any of the previously mentioned substances, k? :P

Edited by Team Cotati
I came across this study of the effect of eating urushiol on immunity on the FDA website.

It works for most, but it causes rashes in the mouth and anus for most too.

Count me out. I'd rather have to scratch my arms and legs.

As as far as immunity, I was immune as a kid and teenager. I could roll in the stuff and not get a reaction. Then I had several bad cases in my mid 20's to early 40's.

Now I rarely have a reaction and if I do it is a few itchy bumps that look like a few mosquito bites close together. I don't know if its because I'm more resistant now or if its because I'm very diligent about thorough washing after I come in contact. I'm not going to test it out by not washing though.

From Poison Ivy Myths and Facts

... most experts believe that 50 to 80% of people will develop a rash after exposure to poison ivy.

That's a fairly wide range of 20% to 50% estimated to be susceptible. When I see it I avoid it.

No tempting fate for me, even though I don't seem to have any problems with it .... yet.

Interesting. Better than a wikipedia page, I suppose, as it was written by an MD. So I guess my immunity will probably run out one day when I least expect it. I guess I'll never know whether or not my dark complexion of Eastern Euro descent has anything to do with it. :)

Many folks on my mom's side of the family are immune to Poison Oak, myself included. My mom said that when she was a little kid she used to bet unknowing kids that she could eat a leaf of it for a quarter, or that she could rub it all over her face and not get it for a quarter... I've never gotten it.

Whenever we see a cache in the PO, my husband makes me go get it. :)

I'm either immune, have never come into direct contact with the stuff (or got it cleaned off quickly enough), or the I'm insensitive enough that my daily Claritin is enough to protect me.

Neither of my parents are immune to it, so I'm guessing I'm not totally immune.

It works for most, but it causes rashes in the mouth and anus for most too.

Count me out. I'd rather have to scratch my arms and legs.

As as far as immunity, I was immune as a kid and teenager. I could roll in the stuff and not get a reaction. Then I had several bad cases in my mid 20's to early 40's.

Now I rarely have a reaction and if I do it is a few itchy bumps that look like a few mosquito bites close together. I don't know if its because I'm more resistant now or if its because I'm very diligent about thorough washing after I come in contact. I'm not going to test it out by not washing though.

This made me think. Mosquitoes don't particularly like me either. Oh they do bite me but not with the gusto they attack those I am with. If my wife gets 50 bites I might get 2 or 3. I wonder if there is a connection?

I have always been immune. I have also always heard that the immunity will probably fail at some point and that if/when it does the reaction will be all the worse. Sort of a payback for all those years of careless disregard.

I've heard the opposite. If you reach your 40s without an outbreak, you'll probably never get sensitized to it.

I have trapsed through stuff that I KNOW is PI, and never had any ill effects. However, once I get back from caching/hiking/Mt Biking I put what ever I was wearing in a plastic bag, to be washed in it's own load. And I take shower as soon as possible.

No sense in tempting fate. So, I am respecful of the PI, but certainly not afraid.

I've heard the opposite. If you reach your 40s without an outbreak, you'll probably never get sensitized to it.

I certainly hope your version is correct.

This made me think. Mosquitoes don't particularly like me either. Oh they do bite me but not with the gusto they attack those I am with. If my wife gets 50 bites I might get 2 or 3. I wonder if there is a connection?

Now that's very interesting - same here with the mosquitoes. And I've never had poison ivy and know I've had contact with urushiol.

However, I do get a very bad skin reaction to asters, of all things.

Both my parents have been immune all their lives, although my mother doesn't go into the woods enough anymore to know if her immunity has worn off. I was immune as a kid and a teenager - my whole cabin at summer camp would get poison ivy and I would be fine. That wore off unexpectedly last summer, and I had poison ivy all over my legs from geocaching in shorts. It took a month to go away and left marks that lasted for several weeks. This year I'm geocaching in long pants.

I appear to be immune to the stuff and occasionally pull Poison Oak out by hand if I find it too close to a cache that I visit. One time I even invoiced for my services. Strangely I'm still waiting for payment.

I thought my kids were immune too until my son broke out in big blisters in the last couple of days. Probably from brushing against my dog after we'd I'd taken my dog out hiking with me in a place riddled with the stuff along the trail.

I went the opposite direction. Used to be that if I looked at the stuff, it would spread all over me and I'd end up having to get a shot. I bought a house in the country about 10 years ago and every time I would weed eat around my lagoon I would get it. Slowly over time, I wouldn't get it as bad. Now, I never get it, I'm immune to it now.

Pretty much the same thing happened with bee stings. When I was a kid I got stung a couple times my foot and hand, both of witch swelled up like footballs. Last year I put my hand right on a nest that was under the lip of our pool and got several stings. Didn't do anything to me.

Now that's very interesting - same here with the mosquitoes. And I've never had poison ivy and know I've had contact with urushiol.

I went the opposite direction. Used to be that if I looked at the stuff, it would spread all over me and I'd end up having to get a shot. I bought a house in the country about 10 years ago and every time I would weed eat around my lagoon I would get it. Slowly over time, I wouldn't get it as bad. Now, I never get it, I'm immune to it now.

Pretty much the same thing happened with bee stings. When I was a kid I got stung a couple times my foot and hand, both of witch swelled up like footballs. Last year I put my hand right on a nest that was under the lip of our pool and got several stings. Didn't do anything to me.

There might be something to this, as, since I moved down to Florida, I would get eaten up by mosquitoes, but now they seem to mostly leave me alone, giving me about 2 or 3 bites also. Also, after I'm bitten, if I don't scratch it, it stops itching completely after an hour or two.

Same thing with fire ants: after many previous several-week-long-stinging bites, nowadays when they bite me, the pain/itching only lasts about 2-3 hours.

Maybe the body builds up an immunity to mosquitoes/fire ants/bees/PI/etc after previous encounters, or maybe there's a direct correlation between immunity to PI to immunity to insect attacks...

I'm still staying away from bees, I'm not testing my theory!

I used to get horrible, horrible rashes from just looking at PI when I was younger.

Age seems to have cured that.

Last time I looked for a cache in PI, I actually rummaged around in the vines and only got a slight rash on one finger.

Dunno if that means I'm immune, but I like it.

Interesting. Better than a wikipedia page, I suppose, as it was written by an MD. So I guess my immunity will probably run out one day when I least expect it. I guess I'll never know whether or not my dark complexion of Eastern Euro descent has anything to do with it. :(

Maybe you should change your name to "The DarkComplectedUrkel". :laughing:

I've slowly built up an immunity to Iocane Powder.

+1

Back on topic...

Add me to the immune list. I used to get PI really bad when I was a kid and the first couple of years of geocaching, but now I never break out.

My girlfriend who is an avid adventure racer and newbie geocacher was immune until recently. Apparently the failing immunity thing is real. :D

Because my immune system is of the superior variety, I have remained immune to the effects of PO, PI, and all other similar plant irritants.

I have also surpassed the previously stated record of 43.

My current plans call for my immunity to those substances to remain effective until I reach the age of 85. At that point, I am fairly certain that it will no longer matter one way or the other.

Until then, eat your hearts out!!! :):laughing::D:D:D

But please by all means DO NOT let your envy cause you to EAT any of the previously mentioned substances, k? ;)

I believe your looking at your immune system the wrong way. Your immune system over reacts, attacking the dermal layer in which the urushiol is bound to, causing the itching, swelling, and redness. It appears yours is not working properly. :(

Edited by IBcrashen