Same or Different

Haicoole

JT0839 and JT0840

I think that these are both referances to the same marker. They both refer to 36M.

I found a marker with the 36M near both of the of the coordinates, and on a NEW concrete culvert. It was marked as reset in 1999 (when they redid that intersection.)

I am new to benchmarking (ran out of local geocaches) and would like an opinion from the masters.

Haicoole

The fact that it is 2" in height difference doesn't make much of a difference here it is REALLY flat.

and the older of the two marks is in a place that doesn't correspond to any of the notations (over from the original road, and in a lagoon)

Read the earliest discription of both.

Haicoole

You can't log it without a PID, and you can't use either of the existing PID numbers, since the stamping on the one you found does not match, so what you have amounts to a point non grata for geocaching purposes, although it is a fully valid benchmark. At least you successfully navigated your way to the right location, and you can note that the one reset in 1952 appears to have followed its predecessor into oblivion. The surveyor who set the current one in 1999 was probably working for the state, as the reconstruction of the intersection was probably part of a state highway project, and it is up to his discretion as to whether or not to report his work to NGS.