Would you buy the Oregon 450 again?

I am just starting geocaching. I will be upgrading my membership to support this site. I have been reading the various post on gps units. I am looking hard at a Oregon 450t unit. I see many people complaining about the light display and that concerns me. I also looked at one of the sites REI and although they only list three reviews, the Oregon 450 got a 3 star out of 5 star ranking. I wanted to hear from some of you that actually have one of these units. If you could do it over, would you buy the same unit? This will be my first GPS. I want to get it right. I will only be using the GPS only for geocaching. I want to go the paperless route. Thanks for any help.

I am just starting geocaching. I will be upgrading my membership to support this site. I have been reading the various post on gps units. I am looking hard at a Oregon 450t unit. I see many people complaining about the light display and that concerns me. I also looked at one of the sites REI and although they only list three reviews, the Oregon 450 got a 3 star out of 5 star ranking. I wanted to hear from some of you that actually have one of these units. If you could do it over, would you buy the same unit? This will be my first GPS. I want to get it right. I will only be using the GPS only for geocaching. I want to go the paperless route. Thanks for any help.

I have two 550s, essentially the same screen as the 450, and I love them. The screen is only hard to see under certain lighting conditions but changing the angle is usually all you need to do to correct that.

And I just wouldn't go back to the lower resolution screens like on the 60 or 76 series. It's awesome, how detailed the Oregon screen is.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the usb connection for the power supply. I don't think that's going to last as long as the old round Garmin connector on the 60/76.

I have a 300 and if I could get around to selling it, I'll buy a 450. Yes, I wish the screen is brighter. But it is usable (to me).

I wouldn't get the "t" though. $100 more for the built-in topo maps is too expensive. I'd consider public domain free maps, or buy the Garmin 24k instead (unless you happen to live at a region boundary, or travel extensively).

Edited by Chrysalides

I have a 300 and if I could get around to selling it, I'll buy a 450. Yes, I wish the screen is brighter. But it is usable (to me).

I wouldn't get the "t" though. $100 more for the built-in topo maps is too expensive. I'd consider public domain free maps, or buy the Garmin 24k instead (unless you happen to live at a region boundary, or travel extensively).

Thanks for all the replies. I am placing an order today.

Love mine! Trade up from a Legend HCX and love the touch screen and the ease of paperless! Screen is an issue for some peeps, but I have to say it has not been a problem for me. If it dies, I would get the same unit 450!

I just returned my oregon 300 yesterday to R.E.I after a year of use and upgraded to the 450, It cost me an additional.95 cents to upgrade, plus I now have a $50.00 rebate in the mail. So using R.E.I is something to think about :):):):P:P:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by vagabond

I just returned my oregon 300 yesterday to R.E.I after a year of use and upgraded to the 450, It cost me an additional.95 cents to upgrade, plus I now have a $50.00 rebate in the mail. So using R.E.I is something to think sbout :):):):P:P:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

How can you upgrade your gear at REI after a year of use? Was it some kind of package?

I just returned my oregon 300 yesterday to R.E.I after a year of use and upgraded to the 450, It cost me an additional.95 cents to upgrade, plus I now have a $50.00 rebate in the mail. So using R.E.I is something to think sbout :):):):P:P:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

How can you upgrade your gear at REI after a year of use? Was it some kind of package?

Thats R.E.Is policy, you pay top dollar in the beginning but you can bring it back and exchange it

I've used an Oregon 200, Dakota 10, and an Oregon 300 until it was stolen recently. The Dakota 10 was a little brighter in direct sunlight. But, the Oregon's have much higher resolution screens. They make the topo maps really stand out. I ordered a 450 to replace my stolen unit and I am very confident that it will surpass my expectations. I am looking forward to the brighter screen, although I never complained about it before, and the 5,000 geocache capability with full paperless geocaching ability. The only thing it will be missing for me is the capability to make phone calls.

I didn't order the 450t because I already have topo maps from Garmin and GPSFiledepot.

Oh, I've used my Oregon's, and Dakota's, while hiking, mountain biking, jeeping, and city navigating. I've never used a Nuvi GPS because I need something rugged that won't break the first time I drop it, or get it wet.

I just returned my oregon 300 yesterday to R.E.I after a year of use and upgraded to the 450, It cost me an additional.95 cents to upgrade, plus I now have a $50.00 rebate in the mail. So using R.E.I is something to think about :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I to have a Oregon 400 that is 1 year old. I'd love to return it to REI for the 450. I have my reciept but I purchased city nav and I have read that it can not be transferred to a new gps unit . Does anyone know of a way of getting Garmin to unlock my city nav for a knew unit?

Edited by bumperdogs
Thats R.E.Is policy, you pay top dollar in the beginning but you can bring it back and exchange it

I know they'll honor it, but I don't feel right doing that.

I've been a member For about 17 years and that was my first return, and one thing to remember when the 300 gets resold in their sale they'll still make money on it :)

What if you already have an iphone?

I am also looking at the 450 and trying to justify it over the Iphone and existing GPS I already own (see earlier post today)

I've heard that the gps performance and limited battery life of the iPhone make it less than useful for Geocaching. It's probably ok for checking cache details, but as to actually searching for caches, I don't think you'll be satisfied.

And there's noting quite as much fun as having a gps which guides you into the forest to find that really well hidden cache, then dies as you try to find your way back out. :)

I have an Oregon 300 and love it. I have not had any problems with screen readability - the default IS too dim but it's not difficult to change once you know how. (That's one of the few features you really need to read the manual for - tap the power button quickly and a brightness control comes up.)

My father is purchasing a 450 soon, very likely we'll be arranging a swap since I use my GPS more than he will use his.

What if you already have an iphone?

I am also looking at the 450 and trying to justify it over the Iphone and existing GPS I already own (see earlier post today)

I've heard that the gps performance and limited battery life of the iPhone make it less than useful for Geocaching. It's probably ok for checking cache details, but as to actually searching for caches, I don't think you'll be satisfied.

And there's noting quite as much fun as having a gps which guides you into the forest to find that really well hidden cache, then dies as you try to find your way back out. :)

I have a iPhone and the 450. Honestly for actually navigating to the cache I find the iPhone frustrating. I normally just use it to view it on the maps and then try to find it that way. If I need any more help I'll just grab the 450. iPhone is great if your just out and about and want to get a easy park and grab.

I love my 450 though! Would buy again

We just started geocaching last year...and when I was looking into getting a gps, I ended up with a 60csx because of its high ratings and everyone seemed pretty pleased with it. I used it for a year and it was ok.

I recently upgraded to a Oregon 450t, and after using it for the last couple weeks, I can honestly say I wish I would've bought one right off the bat.

So much more cache info right at your fingertips. It's very very user friendly and I like navigating via touch screen.

I can't say that I've noticed the 450t is any less accurate than was my 60csx. I'd say about the same as far as getting close to the cache.

I have no trouble viewing the screen. At certain angles/light conditions it can be a little difficult to read but I just tilt my hand a little and no problem.

I like my Oregon 450. Readability is the biggest issue, so far, though resolution being Too High is rearing its head, too.

I'm finding, to navigate around roads I'm relying upon my GPSMAP 60C, with it's measely low-res screen is quite a bit better for navigation in the general sense of getting near GZ, after that the Oregon 450 is the unit I use to find caches - each tool employed for its strengths, also saves the batteries in the for 450 for when I'm out on the trail. :o

I'm finding, to navigate around roads I'm relying upon my GPSMAP 60C, with it's measely low-res screen is quite a bit better for navigation in the general sense of getting near GZ, after that the Oregon 450 is the unit I use to find caches - each tool employed for its strengths, also saves the batteries in the for 450 for when I'm out on the trail. :o

I find that the Nuvi beats any hand held for car navigation hands down (no pun intended, for once). Spoken directions, large screen, and having all the geocoins near me loaded as custom POI - fantastic combination.

Edited by Chrysalides