Legend HCX, gets stuck on map view, but is still navigating

let me explain. on my Legend HCX, i'll be in map view going towards a cache, it shows the cache say 50m away and shows the path i should take (as the crow flies), but as i get closer, if i switch the the DATA screen, it shows me getting closer, but the map view is stuck and still shows it a fair distance away, it actually freezes on the map view.

so i'll be standing on top of the cache, but the GPS map shows it as being a fair distance away. (and no, it's not that i'm zoomed in too far, it actually locks up or freezes on the distance and doesn't move at all)

anyone else experience this problem with the Garmin Legend HCx or other unit.

the only way i have found to fix it, is to power it off, then back on. very frustrating.

looks like is the exact same problem described here by someone else:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3947345

Edited by brucered

While on the map screen, are you moving your arrow to see how far away you are? If you pan the arrow, it will freeze the screen in it's current view. All you need to do, if this is the issue, is hit your back or quit button while on this screen and it will start to move again.

This is the only thing I can think of. It has happened to me when I have done this but never on it's own. I have two Legend HCX's and I have never had this issue.

While on the map screen, are you moving your arrow to see how far away you are? If you pan the arrow, it will freeze the screen in it's current view. All you need to do, if this is the issue, is hit your back or quit button while on this screen and it will start to move again.

This is the only thing I can think of. It has happened to me when I have done this but never on it's own. I have two Legend HCX's and I have never had this issue.

nope, not touching the joystick button, i know because, when you his that button, the white banner comes across the top of the screen with your info for where you are moving that arrow.

nope, not touching the joystick button, i know because, when you his that button, the white banner comes across the top of the screen with your info for where you are moving that arrow.

Do you have the most current version of the firmware on it. You may want to try and reinstall that and see if that solves your issue.

You may want to call Garmin on Monday if it persists. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Do you have the most current version of the firmware on it. You may want to try and reinstall that and see if that solves your issue.

You may want to call Garmin on Monday if it persists. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

yup, everything is up to date. i'll try re-installing it though.

it did it again today. i was on the data screen, it showed 1m away from the cache, then i switch to map view, and it shows it across the street. and i made sure i hadn't moved the arrow or anything.

and yet again, just did it. time for this one to head back garmin or walmart if i put up a big enough stink.

it's 1y old, but i have original box and receipt, i'll go talk to the sporting goods manager at WM, he was pretty good about any concerns with it last year. i'll see if i can swap it out for same model or a different one.

i've escalated the problem to garmin thru the e-service, we'll see if they get back to me in the next 48-72hrs.

Edited by brucered

well amex want to me send it away for repair. but i don't believe that the shop will be able to duplicate the problem.

it is $110 for repair plus shipping. so i might end up sending it, then them telling me nothing is wrong and amex not reimbursing me for the funds. then i have the same gps and out $120+.

now what. i sent a PM to the sweedish guy who had the same problem, we'll see if he get's back to me and if/what he did to get it fixed, if he did.

i'm thinking it's not an isolated problem and is most likely on all HCx's, but most people don't realize because they rely mainly on the DATA screen.

i went out today and went to about 5 caches, most were fine. but i had to restart it once. i left it frozen on one, then drove away, and it unfroze as we backed out of the parking lot, no problems just kept on navigating. perhaps it just takes a while for it to recalibrate after coming down from a speed velocity.

i've also done some geobiking latetely, stopped in on at least 10 one day, didn't have to reset it once.

i know a lot of cachers just use the DATA SCREEN when close, so perhaps it's being missed or perhaps it takes a few minutes to recalibrate after arriving from a fast speed. who knows.

i did a hard reset and it's working better.