What's the longest a Cache has gone unfound...

Last July (2009) we specifically drove over 1000 miles just to hunt for Moreau Peak GC2859. It had not been found in over 2 years. It was hidden in November 2001 and has now been found 14 times.

In June 2003 we drove over 1300 miles and a couple of the final hours 4X4 trails to look for The Wild Bunch GC8385. It had been placed in August 2002 and nearly a year later it still had not been found. When we got to it we found that another cacher had the same idea as we did. They beat us there by 1 week. A month after we were there another cacher found it, then nothing for another year.

Edited by Wadcutter

This excellent cache was published on February 28, 2009. We found it on March 7, 2009.

It still has not been found since.

We know others have expressed interest in it and the owner is still actively maintaining it. It would be great if someone else would find it. We normally do not care about FTF but this one is still special to us. We wrote in our log:

"This was a great puzzle and physical cache challenge. We really enjoyed it. It is nice to be FTF on a challenging cache, and on one of the beautiful days of the year so far. Another great thing about this cache was that it called our attention to this area; we were really excited to see the other caches near here. We parked at the recommended coordinates for this puzzle, and after completing it, we decided to hike to all of the remaining caches in the area including those on the Wateree Section of the Palmetto trail. It was one of our favorite caching days in a long time, it was a truly wonderful experience. We took the Simpsons puzzle and left a First Aid Kit. StomperSwamp, you continue to impress us. Thanks for the work you put into this puzzle and cache."

Interesting Question....

Check out "Moving Target" GCP0C1 in the UK

Placed 22nd May 2005 - you need to track down 4 TBs to solve the puzzle

FTF by Bambi&Thumper 22nd July 2005 (62 days later) having found 3 of the 4 TBs and used guesswork/pot luck

Then we chased down all 4 TBs, and booked a holiday in the area. We were second to find on 18th August 2009 - over 4 years after the FTF (actually 1488 days)

Can anyone else beat that?

I have this Cache on my watchlist that was found recently, and it's been almost a year since the last find. That reminded me that after I was the First Finder there, the Cache remained unfound for OVER a year. What's your record?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...86-13774320258a

There are lots of Puzzle caches that Our Clan has started to solve that haven't been found for a year or two.

Kit Fox, I always enjoy your posts. As someone who has been working towards physical fitness for the last few years, watching my terrain ratings increase, your stories inspire me. Caches that involve hiking or some sort of other physical activity or feat are my very favorite :) I've got ways to go before I could do that climbing one, but that would be so amazingly cool.

Kit Fox, I always enjoy your posts. As someone who has been working towards physical fitness for the last few years, watching my terrain ratings increase, your stories inspire me. Caches that involve hiking or some sort of other physical activity or feat are my very favorite :) I've got ways to go before I could do that climbing one, but that would be so amazingly cool.

Thanks for the great compliment! :) Sadly, I've been in recovery mode for six months, due to a hip injury, so I haven't had many great adventures lately :)

Thanks for the great compliment! :) Sadly, I've been in recovery mode for six months, due to a hip injury, so I haven't had many great adventures lately :)

Oh no!!! That's no fun! I really hope you get better soon!

For me, 3 weeks. I have 6 FTFs (out of 550 finds). The one which took 3 weeks for the next person to find was a fairly difficult puzzle cache with multiple stages. The others were all found within a day or 2; and in two cases it was minutes (I met the second to find cachers almost immediately after finding the cache).