Well?

Because we just had a house fire and I'm tired and resting in a hotel bed.

You said that it had better be good. :huh::ph34r:

Sorry to hear of your fire. Hope you and your family are OK.

You said that it had better be good. :D:ph34r:

:D

Oh dear!!! Hope and pray you and your family are all well!!

Thank you!

It was just me and my husband (and kitty) in the house at the time, and our lovely alarms alerted my husband from the yard and he came in and saved me from my nap (and the kitty, too). About a quarter of our house is toast, and the rest is nasty smokey. But no structural damage from the looks of it, fortunately! We're just going to have to figure out where our family is going to live for a few months (?) while we gut things and replace things to make it liveable again.

It sounds bad, but people have/had it a lot worse. God is good, we still have our family and pictures/computers and a house when it is all fixed back up again. We have wonderful family and friends that are willing to be there for us. :D

Thank you!

It was just me and my husband (and kitty) in the house at the time, and our lovely alarms alerted my husband from the yard and he came in and saved me from my nap (and the kitty, too). About a quarter of our house is toast, and the rest is nasty smokey. But no structural damage from the looks of it, fortunately! We're just going to have to figure out where our family is going to live for a few months (?) while we gut things and replace things to make it liveable again.

It sounds bad, but people have/had it a lot worse. God is good, we still have our family and pictures/computers and a house when it is all fixed back up again. We have wonderful family and friends that are willing to be there for us. :D

Glad everyone including the kitty is okay. Glad the memories are intact also. Glad your friends and family are near. Good luck and God speed.

Thank you!

Glad everyone is ok.

Because I have been doing house work, and writing a paper while my fiancee writes her own 10 paper. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I will have a chance to go do some caching. Just saw a brand new cache might be going after that one for my first FTF.

Edited by ihorn

I was out caching today! I had a couple of hours to spare so I went out and got #'s 98, 99, 100, and 101.

I had planned and making #100 a puzzle cache or something special but I was just too close to a traditional to pass it by.

Edited by brslk

Thank you!

Glad to hear that you are all safe and sound. What a shock for you all. I hope you find somewhere to live where kitty can be with you too.

Thank you!

Good to hear you and your loved ones are OK.

You also seem to have the positive attitude that will get you through the next little while.

Think of it this way, you now have an excuse to redo the house!

Well I was out for one cache today with my wife. We had searched for this particular cache two days ago and could not find it. We searched again today with no more luck than two days ago. I guess we'll have to go back another year and try again.We only get to that area once a year. This is a really hard cache at a Bass Pro Shop store. We had to do easy caches because I just had heart surgery on 4/30 and I am still recovering from it. Thanks for another post to visit during my getting better.

Also, sorry to hear about the family with the fire. Hope your able to get things back in order. Glad you were all okay.

I'm here because my friend (Texaslibra) and I went on an all-night FTF hunt that took us from Fort Worth to Grapevine, over to Dallas, down through Lancaster, over to Burleson, then to White Settlement and back to Ft. Worth. Started at 11:00 p.m. and "finished" at 6:00 a.m. with the last cache (a multi) probably taking us too long to finish before she had to take her daughter to work. We finished with 8 out of 9 possible.

I slept for two hours and then went to a pen defense course.....talked to my buddy across the street for an hour and a half.....went to church at 5:00 p.m. to practice music before having service at 6:30. Made it back to the house at 8:00 and starting supper.

Now, I'm seeing what I missed here!!! :ph34r:

Edited by Casting Crowns

Glad everyone including the kitty is okay. Glad the memories are intact also. Glad your friends and family are near. Good luck and God speed.

It's a blessing, thank you. B)

Glad everyone is ok.

Thanks! :D

Glad to hear that you are all safe and sound. What a shock for you all. I hope you find somewhere to live where kitty can be with you too.

It is a shock. You go between thinking it's the most horrid thing in the world, to feeling calm and reasonable. Sometimes within minutes of each other. :ph34r: I can see that this is mostly stressful on my husband, and then also my kids (parents, MIL). Any change is stressful.

Our kitty is fortunately able to stay with my MIL, Patudles at the moment. She lives next door to us in a small apartment, and I hear that poor Angel is sitting in the window and staring morosely at our house. She's a sweetie, but a bit high strung, I hope she gets through this fine.

I can't beat that so I won't post my reason.

P.S. Sorry to hear about that. :huh:

Aw, don't worry! I didn't want to get a bunch of attention, but the thread was too appropriate to pass up. I'd like to hear your reason. :ph34r: (And thank you, as well.)

Good to hear you and your loved ones are OK.

You also seem to have the positive attitude that will get you through the next little while.

Think of it this way, you now have an excuse to redo the house!

Thank you. As I posted above, it's mentally back and forth, partly because it's still fresh. But I'm trying to focus on the positive, because that's what gets you through. I'm sure the house will be nice in the end, as long as I can't smell the fire anymore! :D

Also, sorry to hear about the family with the fire. Hope your able to get things back in order. Glad you were all okay.

Thanks. :D

And since a lot of people commented on our kitty, I thought I'd post this (clickable) picture of her. She's on the dash of our truck, where we put her to keep her safe (she's completely an indoor cat). You can see the firefighters in the background, and the firetruck reflected in the windshield. It's a sad, yet somewhat comical photo. She just didn't understand what was going on, and was trying to get as close to us as possible.

4590104635_207f89a769.jpg

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain." - Ambrosia

Sorry to hear about the storm, but it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of dancing in the rain.

To the subject... its morel season and we just had an awesome rain yesterday. Caching goes on hold.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain." - Ambrosia

Sorry to hear about the storm, but it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of dancing in the rain.

To the subject... its morel season and we just had an awesome rain yesterday. Caching goes on hold.

:ph34r: Thanks. God has been teaching me a lot about that these past five years.

mmmm........morels.... *drool* We haven't gone looking for those for a while. I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms, but there's nothing like being up in the mountains, frying up morels with a bunch of family members, and eating them hot off the grill. :ph34r:

You said that it had better be good. :ph34r::ph34r:

I'm not even gonna try my puny excuse after that! :huh:

But I did work a fire call this afternoon for my American Red Cross Disaster Action Team. Apartment fire, 2 adults, 2 kids, no injuries but also no insurance.

I hope you have insurance... if you do, whether you believe it or not at this moment, you will actually come out ahead. Start now making a good inventory. Every family member keep a notebook handy and when you think of anything, no matter what, that was lost or damaged write it down. In detail with model numbers etc. Then take the time to get a value for each item. Regardless of whether you have Actual Cash Value or Replacement Cost coverage you need to have an accurate inventory and valuation of your loss.

If you didn't have insurance PM or email me and I can hook you up with some resources.

Either way, contact your local American Red Cross at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wenatchee-WA...er/156692338474

They have stuff like clean-up kits, contacts with board-up services (yes, you need one!), and instructional pamphlets that detail how to get smoke out of salvageable clothing, etc.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm not even gonna try my puny excuse after that! :D

But I did work a fire call this afternoon for my American Red Cross Disaster Action Team. Apartment fire, 2 adults, 2 kids, no injuries but also no insurance.

I hope you have insurance... if you do, whether you believe it or not at this moment, you will actually come out ahead. Start now making a good inventory. Every family member keep a notebook handy and when you think of anything, no matter what, that was lost or damaged write it down. In detail with model numbers etc. Then take the time to get a value for each item. Regardless of whether you have Actual Cash Value or Replacement Cost coverage you need to have an accurate inventory and valuation of your loss.

If you didn't have insurance PM or email me and I can hook you up with some resources.

Either way, contact your local American Red Cross at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wenatchee-WA...er/156692338474

They have stuff like clean-up kits, contacts with board-up services (yes, you need one!), and instructional pamphlets that detail how to get smoke out of salvageable clothing, etc.

There are no puny excuses! :DB)

Thanks for all the info and encouragement. It all sounds so overwhelming. :huh:

Actually, the red cross people were there before the fire trucks left. I was surprised at how fast they were. They were nice and friendly, and their program helped start us up with some clothes and toiletries and food and hotel. Very helpful, we much appreciated them. B)

Also, fortunately, we have insurance. I'm sure that they will drop us after this, though. :ph34r: My husband used to be a fireman, and my dad is a volunteer fireman (he works our area, so my poor parents found out about our fire from the scanner - mom's worst nightmare). My husband now has a business doing home fire safety education and sells things like fire alarms and related items. So he's had to see many people going through this process and made sure that our insurance was up to par (hopefully, you never know exactly until you go through it, it's always a battle dealing with insurance). He's a bit embarrassed going through this, because he feels he should be able to keep these things from happening, because of his background. But it just goes to show that it can happen to anyone. Without our wonderful alarms, and his knowledge of fire, I might not have made it out alive, and our house might have been totally burned.

Our sympathies to Ambrosia and her family. My brother's family awoke to a house full of smoke the day after Christmas, house was a total loss. That evening my brother said, "I am the richest man on earth. I have my family, my God, and friends".

Thank you. How sad to hear that, but what an inspiration to hear his reaction to the situation! I hope that they are doing better by now.

Start now making a good inventory. Every family member keep a notebook handy and when you think of anything, no matter what, that was lost or damaged write it down. In detail with model numbers etc. Then take the time to get a value for each item. Regardless of whether you have Actual Cash Value or Replacement Cost coverage you need to have an accurate inventory and valuation of your loss.

Rambler is absolutely correct. Tonight is not too soon to start. It took us months to finalize our inventory for a household of 6 (100% loss) and it exceeded our excellent insurance limits. Years later we would remember something we missed.

Keep up the positive attitude. I heard last week that a co-worker's house burned to the ground last month. As they stood watching firefighters, his comment was "well, I get God wants us to redecorate."

Edited by BullRit

Well? Why aren't you out geocaching right now instead of reading some internet forums? Huh?

Because it's snowing!

Actually snow hasn't stopped me before bit it's now supposed to snow on Mothers day.

One of the other reasons that I am not cacheing today is that I currently have 999 finds and was told that a golden ammo can would be put out for me for my 1000th find and it hasn't been placed yet.

...Actually, the red cross people were there before the fire trucks left. I was surprised at how fast they were. They were nice and friendly, and their program helped start us up with some clothes and toiletries and food and hotel. Very helpful, we much appreciated them. :D

Gotta love those ARCHIE teams! (American Red Cross Helping In Emergencies). I am a team leader for three counties in Alabama. The fire departments call us as soon as they determine that anyone has been displaced by fire and we're usually on-scene within 2 hours to take the victims off of the fire department's hands and see to their immediate needs. I'm glad your chapter has an ARCHIE team and that they were able to help you. Of all the volunteer roles I do ARCHIE is the most rewarding because I get to help victims 'in-the-moment' when they are least able to take care of themselves. Hopefully after you get your home together you will consider volunteering some time to your ARCHIE team, we always need volunteers who have 'been there, done that'.

And everyone else reading this thread... Volunteer! If your local Red Cross chapter doesn't have an ARCHIE team work with them to start one.

Also, fortunately, we have insurance. I'm sure that they will drop us after this, though. :ph34r:

Maybe not. Every insurer has a different tolerance for claims.

I bought State Farm at age 16 because that's what my parents had.

They paid according to policy, quickly and without fuss, for the following claims:

Totaling my first car by rollover while racing a friend on a just-built and unopened section of I-65 (The Homewood motorcycle cop who was timing us to learn how to use his new radar gun would go on to become the Chief of Police).

Totaling my 'Vette by breaking it in half around a bridge support post (when coming home from Atlanta where I had attended the first east-coast introduction of something called a 'Personal Computer').

Total loss on my boat when I hit a rock wall while racing a friend (Yes, Pabst Blue Ribbon was involved).

Total loss on my lake house when it burned (Open can of Coleman fuel, lit lantern in house, bad idea).

Total loss on my home when a tornado wrecked it.

Total loss and 9 months in a hotel when my house burned (my 15-y.o. son calls me at work, "Hey Dad, how do I put out a grease fire?" "How bad is it, son?" "Well, the cabinets are burning...").

Replacing all electronics after a burglar stole them the weekend we were supposed to move back into the rebuilt house.

Replacing all electronics after a burglar stole them again the week after they were all replaced. Shocked (My agent said "Please don't leave the boxes on the curb for pickup this time. That's like a billboard and shopping list for thieves!")

Total loss on my Delta 88 convertible when it was stolen out of my yard and the 15-year-old thief wrecked it while running from the cops.

Major rebuild of my Jeep when I fell asleep and drove it into a 20' ditch.

State Farm refused to pay after my second lake house burned (because I didn't have a license to wire it), but that was okay, Mayer Electric paid after I proved they had sold me a known defective heater scheduled to be returned to the manufacturer.

Total loss on a utility trailer a friend borrowed and wrecked (He failed to latch the hitch, or attach the safety chains. He said that when the trailer pulled up beside his car he knew it would not end well).

A bunch of other minor claims over thirty-something years.

Then they canceled me. I don't understand why. I liked State Farm! :ph34r:

So now we have Geico on our house and five cars. Thank God no claims, so I can't say how they'll pay, but the coverage and price is right. Given my history with insurance claims I have no doubt that I will find out how they pay. :huh:

I am a HUGE believer in insurance! Over-insured is a good thing. :D

My husband used to be a fireman, and my dad is a volunteer fireman (he works our area, so my poor parents found out about our fire from the scanner - mom's worst nightmare)... He's a bit embarrassed going through this, because he feels he should be able to keep these things from happening, because of his background. But it just goes to show that it can happen to anyone. Without our wonderful alarms, and his knowledge of fire, I might not have made it out alive, and our house might have been totally burned.

Rather than embarrassed he should be proud that his experience and training allowed him to get y'all out safely. It's easy to do your job when it is strangers in that burning house but when it is your family it is easy to panic. Kudos to him.

Bummer on the scanner bit. When my kids got old enough to drive I turned mine off; it kept me scared to death every time I heard of an accident anywhere near where they were supposed to be! :D

Fortunately they've all made it to adulthood without incident, but my heart rate still jumps if the phone rings late at night.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Went caching after work. Did a 2 mile hike that included 8 caches... not too shabby :ph34r: Just got back.

You must live near caches, I made a mistake on my previous post. I believe I said the nearest one was 2km away. Actually, it's 2 hours (8km) away..... Wanna come here and try power caching?

Well? Why aren't you out geocaching right now instead of reading some internet forums? Huh?

Because it's May 9th, and it's snowing out. Seriously. And no, I don't live in Nunavut. :ph34r:

It was snowing hard here on the 7th which delayed our caching for a day. On the 8th in the morning it was still melting by mid morning it was all gone.

Because it's May 9th, and it's snowing out. Seriously. And no, I don't live in Nunavut. :ph34r:

It hasn't snowed here in almost a whole day!

But I guess it snows more whee you are?

Edited by ADTCacheur