Caches for a definite period of time

bluetracer

I don't know if someone has already come with an idea lika this, nevertheless I have found no posts on this topic when searching the forum.

I think it would be nice if every cache owner would have the right to determine a specific date by which the cache will become archived and to publish this date in the cache attributes. Once that day comes, the cache would be archived automatically.

The advantages would be:

• a challange for geacachers to find the cache in the specified period
  • encourage owners, who are afraid to take on the obligation of maintenance for too long (forever), to hide new caches
  • allow a faster flow of new original ideas without increasing the absolute number of caches

What do you think?

In Prague, Czech. Rep., there was a nice cache GCZCFT S.O.S. Tribute. Before publishing, the owner stated in the listing that he would archive the cache symbolically on 2007/12/31, which is an anniversary affiliated to the theme of the cache. The geocachers (especially those seeking in December) mostly wrote in the logs to be glad that they came in time and praised it as a good idea. The owner naturally carried the box off after archivation.

The last day of the cache is a good occasion to do a last-to-find mini-event and a meeting with the owner.

I also think that geo-litter is often a problem of very old caches whose owner is after many years no longer active in geocaching. Automatic archivation should be succeeded with an automatically generated e-mail to the owner with an appeal on carrying the box off.

Automatic archivation should be succeeded with an automatically generated e-mail to the owner with an appeal on carrying the box off.

This feature does already exist! If a cache hasn't been found for half a year (i don't know the exact time period), you receive a reviewer note, and if it isn't found e.g. for three months after that message, the listing becomes archived.

Oh, and about the original idea of this topic: I think that isn't a good idea. Caches should be in place as long as possible.

• allow a faster flow of new original ideas without increasing the absolute number of caches

When someone else has an idea to place a cache where there is already one, that other person has to wait! :ph34r:

Mezgrman

Automatic archivation should be succeeded with an automatically generated e-mail to the owner with an appeal on carrying the box off.

This feature does already exist! If a cache hasn't been found for half a year (i don't know the exact time period), you receive a reviewer note, and if it isn't found e.g. for three months after that message, the listing becomes archived.

Oh, and about the original idea of this topic: I think that isn't a good idea. Caches should be in place as long as possible.

When someone else has an idea to place a cache where there is already one, that other person has to wait! :ph34r:

Mezgrman

Mezgrman

I believe that's a reviewer function and not a system feature. There are caches that are remote and might only be found once a year.