Map Software for Palm M515, OS 4.1

So...I finally got my Palm M515 PDA from the seller on eBay, and have downloaded GSAK and Cachemate, and have 500 caches loaded onto my PDA in an attempt to get away from paper. I am excited about this, but am having a dickens of a time trying to find map software that will let me get the Google Map type map to show up on my PDA.

Most map software for Palm OS is geared towards 5.0. Google maps is especially one. I have looked at various freeware apps and tried a few of them, but none of them seem to do what I am looking for. I realize my PDA limits me to using non-GoogleMap apps, but was wondering if there was something I could download that would allow me to view the map of the cache? I am even willing to download the waypoints separately if need be to generate the maps.

For me, the appeal about caching with paper is the fact I have the map at hand. If I am in a particular area of the city, I can look at the cache printouts, see the maps, and know approx where I need to drive without having to rely on my gps to get me there (which is a Garmin Geko 201, btw). I have no data plan on my phone (it's a $20 every three months buy a card and reload phone, and I am not spending $$ to upgrade it, nor my GPS, because frankly I like my GPS). This is one of the reasons I chose going the PDA route to get into paperless geocaching.

Anyway. Plucker, I know, is an ebook reader. Does Plucker download a "map" for the cache page, or is it simply text?

I am a bit at a loss. I really like using the google maps on the cache pages, and have gotten kind of addicted to using them for caching, so I would hate to not be able to use some sort of thing that would do the same thing for me - basically pinpoint me to what street/intersection is somewhat close to where I need to go.

Thanks!

I doubt that you'll find an acceptable solution. There's a good reason people have stopped using earlier palms in droves - once you experience what more up to date devices can do, you don't want to go back. I have a box of old palms, including a 515 I think, none of which I've touched since getting an iphone. Cachemate was about the only useful geocaching related software for the palm, and it's extremely limited.

Thanks for the reply, but considering I still have a stack of paper printouts hanging around, you can see the fact that I upgraded to any kind of device is a bit step forward, no matter how outdated it may be.

I was just hoping. I think what I am going to have to do is come up with some way to make a file for myself (maybe using the driving directions from GC.com) that I can also add to the pda. I'll have to figure something out in that respect.

Thanks though. The information helps. And if I ever decide to get a phone other than a prepaid without internet ability, I am likely going to look into something like an iPhone or something of that sort, but that is still at least a year off.

The best thing you could get for your Palm m515 is a separate Bluetooth GPS receiver. You can link it to Cachemate so it'll actually know "where you are" and as a matter of fact you can use the m515 exclusively to find caches :ph34r:

No it still won't have a Google maps style map, but that's about the best you can do. Oh hey the iPhones are fine devices, but the "new Palms" (webOS) rawk too!!!