How Much Info Should We Put In Our Logs?

MapLady

I've noticed that in my logs for benchmarks I've found, that I'm putting lots of information in them. I guess I'm trying to be more descriptive than what is given, since my coordinates are often different from those given. Since this will be open to all to find and log, how much info is too much? When I post the pictures, even more will be given away. Do we want pictures of the surrounding area of the benchmark posted in addition to a picture of the benchmark? icon_confused.gif

My opinion is that benchmarks are unlike geocaches in that there really aren't any spoilers. The official logs almost always give you better directions than you could ever give. So be descriptive as you like.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

My opinion is that benchmarks are unlike geocaches in that there really aren't any spoilers. The official logs almost always give you better directions than you could ever give. So be descriptive as you like.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I've found that the official logs often reference objects that no longer exist, roads that had different names, and feature really BAD coordinates. But, since the information we enter may eventually be submitted to update the official record, being descriptive still makes sense.

25021_1200.gif

Oh, but that's part of the fun. I found one benchmark that hadn't been recovered in years. Two of thw marks where distroyed, one remained. The discription of how to get there was to find a faint footpath at a curve in the road. The last report was over 30 or 40 years ago. I found the footpath. It was still there. But this huge new housing development had grown up around it. Kids use it these days.

2573_200.jpg