Would this be classified as "Burying" a geocache?

I had an idea to build an underground box of some kind...if anyone seen lovely bones...kinda like what the old guy lures the little girl into :) and coating it in some kind of protective waterproof casing. This does involve a shovel and digging but it would just be for the hiding place. You would not require a shovel to dig it up because I was thinking, put a door or something of that sort to get into the geocache so it is easily accessible. Kind of like a cellar I guess. I'm not sure if this would go against the rules or not so if someone could help me out that would be great. <_<

I had an idea to build an underground box of some kind...if anyone seen lovely bones...kinda like what the old guy lures the little girl into :) and coating it in some kind of protective waterproof casing. This does involve a shovel and digging but it would just be for the hiding place. You would not require a shovel to dig it up because I was thinking, put a door or something of that sort to get into the geocache so it is easily accessible. Kind of like a cellar I guess. I'm not sure if this would go against the rules or not so if someone could help me out that would be great. <_<
You are asking a rhetorical question. You already know the answer, or you wouldn't be asking.

Please allow me to add to my last comment. The reason for the "no pointy objects" guideline was based primarily on a land manger's perception of geocaching that persists to this day that we sometimes bury caches, and therefore, caches are bad for the environment. Also, by burying just one, you are sending a message to many other cachers, especially the new ones, that it is OK to ignore that guideline. Can you get away with it? Yeah, probably. Should you do it? No. Please don't.

I had an idea to build an underground box of some kind...if anyone seen lovely bones...kinda like what the old guy lures the little girl into :) and coating it in some kind of protective waterproof casing. This does involve a shovel and digging but it would just be for the hiding place. You would not require a shovel to dig it up because I was thinking, put a door or something of that sort to get into the geocache so it is easily accessible. Kind of like a cellar I guess. I'm not sure if this would go against the rules or not so if someone could help me out that would be great. :(

In your yard it would be fine, but anywhere else and you run the risk of having the land manager flip out and banning all caches if they find it, plus pissing off your reviewer who may overanalyze each future hide..

Good luck. <_<

Thanks for the help everyone. I really liked Vater_Araignee's idea to create a depression in the ground with a sledge hammer..it made me laugh :) But I've decided I'm not going to go ahead with that idea for the reason stated by knowschad...I don't want to go against the guidelines I just wasn't sure about this geocache since it would be immovable...not able to be taken up out of the ground and not technically "buried"cuz you could retrieve it without digging. But yes I am not going ahead with it. Just for the record...I wasn't planning on making it deep. I just referred to it as a cellar and the thing in lovely bones cuz I had no idea what else to call it...I should have mentioned I wasn't going to make them deep like that <_< I wasn't planning on making it deep into the ground...children would literally have to go out of their way to get stuck in it...unless they were freakishly skinny.

It sounds like you are planning on creating a "structure" of some sort below ground, large enough for a person to enter completely...right? If so, then this would not technically be a "buried" cache. Of course, I can't imagine any land manager of any public land being ok with this idea. On the other hand, if it were done on private property, then pretty much anything goes, as long as you have permission. I would be very mindful of the potential liability you could face in the event of a cave-in or something...and knowing cachers as I do, that is a very good likelihood.

We frown on burying caches. I see buckets and ammo cans buried up to their lids all the time, however, and have never heard of anyone having any problem getting these approved.

What you seem to be suggesting sounds very cool...but I don't think I would recommend it., due to the hazards involved.

/Epic fail

From the guidelines for listing a cache at geocaching.com-

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

" not technically "buried"cuz you could retrieve it without digging."

bur·y

   /ˈbɛri/ Show Spelled [ber-ee] Show IPA verb,bur·ied, bur·y·ing, noun,pluralbur·ies.

–verb (used with object)

to put in the ground and cover with earth: The pirates buried the chest on the island.

Clear enough? :)

Thanks for the help everyone. I really liked Vater_Araignee's idea to create a depression in the ground with a sledge hammer..it made me laugh :) But I've decided I'm not going to go ahead with that idea for the reason stated by knowschad...I don't want to go against the guidelines I just wasn't sure about this geocache since it would be immovable...not able to be taken up out of the ground and not technically "buried"cuz you could retrieve it without digging. But yes I am not going ahead with it. Just for the record...I wasn't planning on making it deep. I just referred to it as a cellar and the thing in lovely bones cuz I had no idea what else to call it...I should have mentioned I wasn't going to make them deep like that <_< I wasn't planning on making it deep into the ground...children would literally have to go out of their way to get stuck in it...unless they were freakishly skinny.

Good choice. There are plenty of other clever ways to hide a cache without digging. Good luck. If I ever make it up your way I'll be sure to find one of your caches.

Good choice. There are plenty of other clever ways to hide a cache without digging. Good luck. If I ever make it up your way I'll be sure to find one of your caches.

I think some are missing the point here. Do you think a land manager that discovers a bunch of holes in the ground every 600' with geocaches in them is going to care if the hiders were "clever" enough to use a round dull object to create a depression in the ground?

It seems that there are many cases lately where a lot of hides are being justified because they can be placed in a manner which technically fall within the language of the guideline without consideration of the purpose of the guideline.

I think some are missing the point here. Do you think a land manager that discovers a bunch of holes in the ground every 600' with geocaches in them is going to care if the hiders were "clever" enough to use a round dull object to create a depression in the ground?

It seems that there are many cases lately where a lot of hides are being justified because they can be placed in a manner which technically fall within the language of the guideline without consideration of the purpose of the guideline.

I don't think anybody (else) took the sledgehammer idea seriously.

I didn't either but my point still stands.

:) Could always use a sledge hammer to beat a depression into the soil.

No pointy objects, no digging. <_<

You can also use a power washer to excavate a hole, or have your dog dig it for you. I'm sure people can come up with dozens of ways that technically don't violate the guideline, but they do violate the spirit of the guideline which is to keep cachers from digging up parks and endangering the continued acceptance of the sport by land managers

Some have stated that in your own yard, or private property, that it is fine or "anything goes". That is still against the guidelines. Not all new cachers read the guidelines well, or visit the forums, so the caches that we place set an example for others. A cacher who finds a buried cache in your yard, or on private property, buried with permission, may think that this type of hide is ok to do anywhere. Lead by example. :)

See post 25. NM I'll quote it to respond.

:ph34r: Could always use a sledge hammer to beat a depression into the soil.

No pointy objects, no digging. :ph34r:

You can also use a power washer to excavate a hole, or have your dog dig it for you. I'm sure people can come up with dozens of ways that technically don't violate the guideline, but they do violate the spirit of the guideline which is to keep cachers from digging up parks and endangering the continued acceptance of the sport by land managers

To be honest I would rather they went your route. Up here in Michigan compacting the soil has the same effect (just faster) as earthworms. As the only types of earthworms we have are all introduced species, they are having an effect on our forests.

Most of our land managers would be even more outraged by compaction than digging.