GPS for driving directions and easy caching?

Hi, All,

I currently use my iPhone for caching, and I love the Geocaching app. I'm taking a roadtrip from DC to Canada next month (Montral, Ottawa, and Toronto). I'd like to get a GPS that

1. Will give me spoken turn-by-turn directions so I don't get lost in the foreign cities and

2. Will be good for caching since my data plan on the phone won't be free in Canada

I've looked through similar topics, but haven't been able to find a good thread on this topic (though I'm sure they exist and apologize for duplicating).

I guess I'd like to stay under $300 (and way under would be preferable), but I'm willing to accept recommendations for something pricier if it's got great caching features.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jen

Hi, All,

I currently use my iPhone for caching, and I love the Geocaching app. I'm taking a roadtrip from DC to Canada next month (Montral, Ottawa, and Toronto). I'd like to get a GPS that

1. Will give me spoken turn-by-turn directions so I don't get lost in the foreign cities and

2. Will be good for caching since my data plan on the phone won't be free in Canada

I've looked through similar topics, but haven't been able to find a good thread on this topic (though I'm sure they exist and apologize for duplicating).

I guess I'd like to stay under $300 (and way under would be preferable), but I'm willing to accept recommendations for something pricier if it's got great caching features.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jen

You might look at the garmin nuvi's. Some of those units work fine. I use a nuvi 500 and is great. A friend uses I think a 265 and they like it as well. The 500 you add and delete the caches from the gps with a computer which I don't mind. You can also add caches by hand as waypoints if one pops up before you can get to a lap top. The spoken turn by turn thing is great whether you are going somewhere or going caching. The 500 can also be used on foot but I haven't tried that as I use a 400t for that. I mainly use the iphone for the instant notification and logging my finds sometimes. The 500 can be had for under 200 on ebay. Happy caching.

To do the job right you really need a car unit ( I use a Nuvi 780 and also have a 500) and a handheld GPS ( I use a Garmin 60 CSx and Magellan Meridian Platinum)

If you're going to make geocaching a regular hobby you need a good handheld. If I had to have just one I'd go with the handheld.......I've traveled all over the country for 7 years using only a handheld.......the big screen and voice instructions on the Nuvi are nice though.

Not sure if you are a GC.com subscriber or not (I am astounded how many "serious"cachers are still too cheap to support the site and spring for it) but since you are using the iPhone, I will assume you are. You can still use your iPhone even when you are offline, by creating a pocket query and downloading it to your iPhone app. You will have 1000 caches along your route (assuming you know what it is) and I am pretty sure the GPS in your iPhone works with or without cell service.

As far as GPS...I have loaded caches as custom POIs in my Nuvi, and it's....just ok. You can do it, and it works, but I sure wouldn't want a Nuvi as my only GPS for geocaching. Since you already use the iPhone primarily, tho, you would probably be just fine with it. It does give spoken directions (most do NOT speak the NAME of the street, however, just FYI, which is pretty disorienting when you get into some larger cities. You just have to pay closer attention.

Hope that helps a bit. I love the downloaded PQs in my iPhone...it even sorts by distance. The only downside is there is no map, so you won't know the difference between which cache is actually closest, and which is the shortest trip away.

To do the job right you really need a car unit ( I use a Nuvi 780 and also have a 500) and a handheld GPS ( I use a Garmin 60 CSx and Magellan Meridian Platinum)

If you're going to make geocaching a regular hobby you need a good handheld. If I had to have just one I'd go with the handheld.......I've traveled all over the country for 7 years using only a handheld.......the big screen and voice instructions on the Nuvi are nice though.

I agree, 2 units are really what is needed. I've used my Garmin 60CSX (and before that 60CS) for navigation in my vehicle for years. It give great directions, but there are no voice prompts (it beeps when turns come up) and the screen is small. Automotive units are not the good for geocaching between lack of durability, poor battery life, no field replaceable batteries, lack of water resistance, lack of a compass navigation screen (the most important deficiency in my mind) and poor shape for hand held use.

They Nuvi 500 series addresses most of those issues, but is still somewhat awkward to hold in the hand and doesn't have a lanyard.

Sounds like the nuvi 550 may be a good choice (the 500 doesn't have Canadian maps). Its $241 at Amazon right now.

that sounds like a great choice indeed, even has Wherigo player and its waterproof too, and user-replaceable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery...if i needed one this unit would be very tempting

found it for $229 at GPS Central, but than shipping and customs will go on top

Edited by t4e