Caching Jacket

My husband has a swat vest and also a fishing vest. As for weather appropriate jackets, depends on where you want to go. When I'm out in the woods I dress in layers, the lower the temperature, the more layers. Most of the time though I wear a North Face fleece jacket that I love.

I wear my sporting clays vest, or my hunting vest for just about anything outdoors/in the woods. I tend to take too much with me at times. I'm a noob when it comes to caching, but I live for being outdoors and spend a lot of time out in the woods. If I'm not out training the pup, I'm hunting mushrooms, maybe some wildlife photography, or shed hunting, and now my new found love geocaching! As stated by someone else, these vests are made to pack a load. I can take two bottles of water, a nice sack lunch, GPS, compass, extra batteries, cell phone, ammo or what ever else I might need and you can dress in layers. A vest with a large enough game pouch allows you to take off layers and stick them in the game bag. If there is a chance of rain, maybe even a light rain coat in the game pocket as well. I don't use a backpack too much anymore, only if there is a chance that I'll be gone all day.

What would be a good jacket for caching? A fleece, hoodie or what. It would be for spring,summer and fall. In the $50 range.

Thanks

Actually there is no answer to your question because you haven't given enough information. Do you cache only in town? Do you cache in the woods? Do you want an all season jacket? Do you want just a jacket for rain?

So, so far everybody has given you good answers but none of them are 100% right.

I would wear whatever suites the weather at the time.Right now in the spring Im wearing this jacket and a light sweater underneath.I can take the sweater off or switch to a heavy fleece depending.It has all the pockets I need for gear food etc and seems durable.I did a 6 hour grinding hike yesterday and it was not heavy or cumbersome.

http://www.kodiakoutback.com/detail.aspx?I...m_campaign=cmp1

Wont let me post a pic but its a Hodgman Lakestream wading jacket.

Sportsman's Jacket

Lightweight, rugged nylon construction is 100% wind and waterproof.

25 pockets inside and out.

Heavy-duty YKK front zipper with double storm flap and brass spring action snaps.

Front and back D-rings and full inside nylon lining.

Elastic waist and wrist cuffs with take-ups.

Underarm hooded air vents and triple reinforced seams for maximum strength.

Full cut, free action design provides superior comfort without excessive material.

Here is a pic from the hike; 30157_391552292750_697292750_4523437_1052956_n.jpg

Edited by The Stainless Steel Rat

We were at an Eddie Bauer outlet store last month and picked up a couple of their vests. It has made caching much easier! If we need to take more stuff for longer hikes, we can add a waist pack or small backpack. So far, the only other thing we've needed to carry is water.

I use an old fleece jacket that I don't care about! I have been using a vest underneath also. I like the idea of the fishermens' vests - I got one for the other half to use for astronomy - the pockets are great. You may want to keep an eye out for sales on winter jackets that have an inner fleece that can be removed. Zippered or velcro pockets are a must in whatever you get. Team the jacket with cargo pants too....

Being that there are many different temperatures and conditions you will encounter,I don't think there is one perfect caching jacket.

My most useful jacket for caching is a wind block fleece jacket made by LL Bean. When I go caching it is usually on me, or in my pack. In the winter it is one of several layers I wear. In the spring and fall I wear it alone, or over a fleece vest if it's a bit colder. If it's raining, its a layer under my rain parka. In the summer it's in my pack in the event the weather turns colder than expected.

What would be a good jacket for caching? A fleece, hoodie or what. It would be for spring,summer and fall. In the $50 range.
I tend to wear a leather jacket even in the summer, just for the protection — we do a lot of forest caching. Wear a fleece under it if it's cold.

The jacket i use a called a pack wind breaker from ScottEvest.com. Great jacket I recommend any of the jackets or vest they sell.

I also have a Scott e vest. Mine is a travler. Great for most my caching. I like the eepc pocket the best

I used to wear one of those fishing vests with all the pockets. Over time, I covered it in buttons and patches I'd found in caches.

One day, I caught a look at myself wearing this thing. And camo pants. And a baseball cap. And realized I couldn't look any crazier if I wore my underpants on my head.

I used to wear one of those fishing vests with all the pockets. Over time, I covered it in buttons and patches I'd found in caches.

One day, I caught a look at myself wearing this thing. And camo pants. And a baseball cap. And realized I couldn't look any crazier if I wore my underpants on my head.

Alas, these sorts of characterisations appear, no matter what the activity. My father was into Amateur Radio and took me to Hamfests, where I'd see Hams sitting around in vests festooned with badges and patches from all manner of activities, rather like a scout sporting merit badges.

At recent 10 Years events I witnessed a few veteran cachers in full regalia.

It could be worse, however, the world could be nothing but conformist sheep who all stick to the same uniform.

Which would quite possibly be underpants on head.

I've met a number of cachers decked out like that. Vest, patches, electronic devices hanging from everywhere.

Let's just say that I doubt any of them were the captain of the football team in high school.