Oregon 450 - Compass Issue

I'm trying to help my Dad out with his Oregon 450. When he's navigating towards a geocache and goes to the compass it seems to work just fine, he's using the Geocaching-Active dashboard. But when he tries to navigate to a waypoint using the compass, the compass goes to the nearest geocache yet. When I take off all the .gpx files from the unit and try to navigate to a waypoint using the compass it's blank. No arrow or description. The compass doesn't seem to be able to work with a waypoint. It used to work just fine so I don't know what happened.

Trying to fix the issue, I used the webupdater to update the software and reset everything to factory defaults. Nothing changed though, we're having the same problem. I've looked at the wiki page and couldn't find an answer so I thought I'd give this forum a shot. Thanks for any help-

I'm trying to help my Dad out with his Oregon 450. When he's navigating towards a geocache and goes to the compass it seems to work just fine, he's using the Geocaching-Active dashboard. But when he tries to navigate to a waypoint using the compass, the compass goes to the nearest geocache yet. When I take off all the .gpx files from the unit and try to navigate to a waypoint using the compass it's blank. No arrow or description. The compass doesn't seem to be able to work with a waypoint. It used to work just fine so I don't know what happened.

Trying to fix the issue, I used the webupdater to update the software and reset everything to factory defaults. Nothing changed though, we're having the same problem. I've looked at the wiki page and couldn't find an answer so I thought I'd give this forum a shot. Thanks for any help-

Are you referring to the little compass on the geocaching dashboard? I have an Oregon 550t, and that compass is set to point to the nearest geocache and nothing else. There's no way to change that behavior as far as I'm aware.

If you're navigating to a Waypoint (as opposed to a geocache) and go to the Compass screen (not the Trip Computer with the geocaching dashboard active), the compass will point directly to the waypoint. At least that's how my 550t behaves.

--Larry

While on the compass page, press the icon in the bottom-right and select Small Data Fields or Large Data Fields. This should navigate you to a waypoint.

Then, press the same icon and choose Geocaching - Active to set the compass to navigate to caches.

Hmmm, it seems that the big compass and the small compass both point towards the waypoint, yet on the dashboard it gives the name and distance towards the nearest geocache. When I select Small Data Fields the distance is correct.

We both thought it used to give us the name of the waypoint and distance to it on the dashboard when using Geocaching-Active. Can anyone else confirm that their 450 does this?

Old thread I know but I thought the compass had two options as a dashboard - Geocaching Nearest and Geocaching Active.

I thought that whilst the 1st one would let you navigate a route but tell you about the nearest cache in the small compass at top, you could choose the "actvie" option and still navigate a route but also be aware where a particular cache is from you.

However, I cant find anyway to set the active cache without stoping the routing. If you choose a cache both small and big compass point to it (useless) and if you choose the route again it goes back to just navigating towards the nearest cache.

Any tips on following a route but knowing when you are close to a cache along that route?

I've had my Oregon 450 for a short period of time and had a few growing pains trying to figure out situations like yours. As suggested, I also use geocaching-active and I find the easiest way to avoid confusion is to use two profiles. I use geocaching to get to the cache and recreational for everything else. Flipping back and forth is quite simple.

The way I handle this issue is to make two profiles, one for geocaching and one for waypointing. As you discovered, the geocaching dashboard only points to geocaches, not waypoints. Normally, I'm in geocaching mode, but if I need to travel to a waypoint, I switch to the waypoint profile, and it points me in the right direction. Having profiles allows you to change very quickly without having to go into setup and switch things back and forth. I also moved the Change Profile icon to my first page so I can get to it easily.

So I am right to think there is no way you can follow a route but keep an eye on how close you are o Geocaches at the same time as, whilst quicker, the profiles will need to be jumped between to check at random points.

What about getting the name of waypoint to appear on screen? I am sure my old Legend had the compass be replaced with a right/left turn direction arrow when you were approaching a waypoint - the oregon just shows the compass or the map screen which is hard to see at times.

So I am right to think there is no way you can follow a route but keep an eye on how close you are o Geocaches at the same time as, whilst quicker, the profiles will need to be jumped between to check at random points.

What about getting the name of waypoint to appear on screen? I am sure my old Legend had the compass be replaced with a right/left turn direction arrow when you were approaching a waypoint - the oregon just shows the compass or the map screen which is hard to see at times.

When caching (w/Oregon 450t), but going to a chosen waypoint I use the map view. Choose your waypoint first. Then on the map screen you can select the options shown on the top of the page by touching them, then selection what you want to see there. I have "Distance to Destination", pointer," GSP Accuracy", and "To Course" chosen, so I have a map, directional arrow and distance all on one screen. Sometimes I swap profiles but I have found that this works fine in most settings.