GAGB calendar of upcoming events

Hi All,

Just for information: I am trying to maintain a calendar of all forthcoming events across the UK & Ireland in the GAGB forums.

GAGB

- So if you have day trips or holidays planned take a look and see if there's an event you could take in.

- If your planning an event please feel free to check out any clashes and add your event details to the calendar.

Regards

RB

KRO!

Any chance of adding other British (but non-UK) events on; I'm thinking of the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles, where I have some next month. Otherwise, excellent work! Thanks for the update :)

Hi Simply,

I believe your Alderney event is on there if my memories serves right

Regards

RB

KRO!

Did you know there is a ready made site that shows all sort of stats, including events....www.icache.co.uk.

It's uses GC supplied data, and is updated twice a week.

But no events calendar, unless I'm missing something.

You are indeed missing something......

http://www.icache.co.uk/events/

Hiya,

I'm clearly missing it too. I can't see a calendar?

What Mad H@ter is talking about is something like this....

http://www.geocaching.com/calendar/

But specifically for the UK?

Did you know there is a ready made site that shows all sort of stats, including events....www.icache.co.uk.

Sorry, but I think I must have a problem with my browser!

I take it that it does support IE8, as all I can see is a list of events.

Incidentally. I'm a little puzzled as to why you are hijacking this thread highlighting helpful facility on GAGB?

Why not just start a new thread to promote your site?

It does; sorry, missed it as I flicked through. Here are the others:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d1-0678bc745edb - Britain's Fourth Most Remote Event Cache (Jersey) Sunday, June 13

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...65-c2711ed2d761 - In The Unlikely Event... (Les Minquiers) Sunday, June 20

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d2-7b77c38b142c - The Hunting of the Sark! Friday, June 25

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4d-c147b63e4686 - Herm is where the heart is! Saturday, June 26

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9b-52ee0037e5be - Guernsey Gathering. Sunday, June 27

Thanks again :)

Given recent agro caused by one of the administrators today I think it's fair to say a significant number of cachers wil no longer be using the icache site.

Back on topic - the GAGB list is a great idea and I'd love to have my event included. Thanks RB for posting the list.

Edited by *mouse*

Incidentally. I'm a little puzzled as to why you are hijacking this thread highlighting helpful facility on GAGB?

Variation on a theme, but not in a true calender format. Very useful to see list of events in date order, and a map so you can browse by geography.

Sorry if you felt it was a hijack, I was being helpful to users who may not know that the icache database exists. I don't see it as a competition by the way, nor do I see the need to be sarcastic.

Carry on.

Variation on a theme, but not in a true calender format. Very useful to see list of events in date order, and a map so you can browse by geography.

Sorry if you felt it was a hijack, I was being helpful to users who may not know that the icache database exists. I don't see it as a competition by the way, nor do I see the need to be sarcastic.

Carry on.

I am sorry to see that you have not been kept in the loop by icache, and would suggest that you ask him what kicked this off.

It appears "what kicked it off" was a request from GAGB to stream event cache pages/data from the icache site. As you are aware the data agreement with Groundspeak is for the icache.co.uk domain only, and icache would be breaking that agreement by sharing the data with the GAGB. So, back on topic, does the OP have the correct permissions (which took a long time for icache to obtain), to list the events calender?

As I understand it, since the cache listings for events are published for anyone to see, they're in the public domain and can freely be repeated elsewhere. It's the 'automated data-scraping' from gc.com which requires a licence, not the displaying of that information. If GAGB have tried to automate their calendar without going to GC.com directly, that could be the root of this issue.

It appears "what kicked it off" was a request from GAGB to stream event cache pages/data from the icache site. As you are aware the data agreement with Groundspeak is for the icache.co.uk domain only, and icache would be breaking that agreement by sharing the data with the GAGB. So, back on topic, does the OP have the correct permissions (which took a long time for icache to obtain), to list the events calender?

So far as I am aware there has been no request from the GAGB to stream this data, I could be wrong if so please could you point me to when, where and by whom?

Then lets chill a bit and sort it out.

So far as I am aware there has been no request from the GAGB to stream this data, I could be wrong if so please could you point me to when, where and by whom?

Then lets chill a bit and sort it out.

Om nom nom nom (that's me eating my words - I've decided I don't want to be involved in this argument)

Edited by The Other Stu

but he's now threatening to link users Geocaching IDs to their real names.

To be honest I don't really care about the rest, but if he is going to start displaying my personal details on his site, then I think I shall be posting a formal complaint to Groundspeak, as that is where he will get my details from. However, although I do not mistrust what you have said, I would like proof that he has indeed stated that he is going to do this. A link to a statement made by Webrat would suffice.

I also agree there won't be any winners in this, and I think it will make Groundspeak a lot more wary of allowing contracts for people to scrape their website in the future

As I am always upfront and do not class anything I said on that Facebook chat session as derogatory I am quite happy to state the following:

Richard Mullans = DrDick&Vick (GAGB Committee Member)

Thanks to Simply Paul for his post above which seems to state what I think, all of the details that have been added to the Calender by a non committee member is sent out to everybody who recieves a weekly news letter and therefore is 100% PUBLIC information and is not obtained by scraping the GS database just by reading the newsletter.

Anyway, having hacked the Groundspeak servers :) I then proceeded to open up my regular weekly notifications email and spent over an hour manually clicking on each event link, copying the details into the GAGB calendar and saving.

What we have is a calendar view of the events so far arranged across the UK, Ireland and various offshore tax havens (Simply <_< )

As I believe the vast majority of cachers get this email every week I am simply transferring it into a more visually useful format. Ideally I'd like to see all events logged in here by the organisers but I'm more than happy to keep this updated as a useful resource.

Incidentally, I think iCache is a valuable site and had no idea things would escalate into some petty 'rattles out the pram' sulk.

Keep caching!

RB

KRO!

It does; sorry, missed it as I flicked through. Here are the others:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d1-0678bc745edb - Britain's Fourth Most Remote Event Cache (Jersey) Sunday, June 13

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...65-c2711ed2d761 - In The Unlikely Event... (Les Minquiers) Sunday, June 20

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d2-7b77c38b142c - The Hunting of the Sark! Friday, June 25

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4d-c147b63e4686 - Herm is where the heart is! Saturday, June 26

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9b-52ee0037e5be - Guernsey Gathering. Sunday, June 27

Thanks again :)

All added, beginning to wish I was going to the Channel Islands this year!

RB

KRO!

I'm not scared to hide behind a caching name either.

Ali Evans = *mouse*

What has kicked this whole thing off is an administrator from icache requesting that GAGB remove all the events from the GAGB calendar as icache is the only uk site to have a licence to obtain data directly from GC.com.

This same administrator has upset uk cachers before over a number of different issues and so when this occured there was an amount of bad feeling that was very quickly inflamed.

The point that needs to be made to icache is that the event details are in the public domain so the data is open to all to use. It was then painstakingly and manually added by a GAGB member to the GAGB calendar and therefore does not fall foul of any data usage agreements with Groundspeak.

GAGB are not obliged to remove the data and the fact it is there is in my opinion to the benefit of all UK cachers.

Personally I find it a bit cheap and below the belt that this person then felt it neccessary to obtain and then publish a private facebook conversation on a second forum and then allow it to be linked to in this thread. Whatever their motives were, I no longer have any respect for this individual as I think that action was immature. I have chosen not to use their resources any further.

Personally I find it a bit cheap and below the belt that this person then felt it neccessary to obtain and then publish a private facebook conversation on a second forum and then allow it to be linked to in this thread. Whatever their motives were, I no longer have any respect for this individual as I think that action was immature. I have chosen not to use their resources any further.

I think you brought it into this forum's domain in the first place by mentioning the "aggro"

Given recent agro caused by one of the administrators today I think it's fair to say a significant number of cachers wil no longer be using the icache site.

Back on topic - the GAGB list is a great idea and I'd love to have my event included. Thanks RB for posting the list.

At least *mouse* and myself have been open enough to post under our normal account names.

If you have comments to make at least make them with your normal account name and not a sock puppet one.

Until your very recent posts ALL the cachers on here are "hidden" unless you really are a Doctor?

It makes my points no less valid.

At least *mouse* and myself have been open enough to post under our normal account names.

If you have comments to make at least make them with your normal account name and not a sock puppet one.

Until your very recent posts ALL the cachers on here are "hidden" unless you really are a Doctor?

It makes my points no less valid.

All the cachers on here are - or were - indeed hidden. But with no finds, and no hides, I'm wondering how you include yourself in that group? :ph34r:

All the cachers on here are - or were - indeed hidden. But with no finds, and no hides, I'm wondering how you include yourself in that group? :ph34r:

I'm not sure to which group you refer? Or to what group you imply I was including myself in?

maybe none since your a sock puppet

Ali Evans = *mouse*

...which is why you were denied an emcache account today trying to register as mouse** as a sock puppet account. Coward.

What has kicked this whole thing off is an administrator from icache requesting that GAGB remove all the events from the GAGB calendar as icache is the only uk site to have a licence to obtain data directly from GC.com.

Icache is the the only site licenced to use the GC data. GAGB do not have that licence. Simple.

This same administrator has upset uk cachers before over a number of different issues and so when this occured there was an amount of bad feeling that was very quickly inflamed.

Cut and paste actual posts or e-mails, or simply shut up.

The point that needs to be made to icache is that the event details are in the public domain so the data is open to all to use. It was then painstakingly and manually added by a GAGB member to the GAGB calendar and therefore does not fall foul of any data usage agreements with Groundspeak.

GAGB are not obliged to remove the data and the fact it is there is in my opinion to the benefit of all UK cachers.

Groundspeak may have a different opinion.

I've just choked on my pudding. Private facebook, no such thing. It happens that the idiot in question did not have his privacy filters set, and the whole world could see the vitriolic diartribe evolve as it happened.

Ali Evans = *mouse*

...which is why you were denied an emcache account today trying to register as mouse** as a sock puppet account. Coward.

Icache is the the only site licenced to use the GC data. GAGB do not have that licence. Simple.

I've just choked on my pudding. Private facebook, no such thing. It happens that the idiot in question did not have his privacy filters set, and the whole world could see the vitriolic diartribe evolve as it happened.

1. *mouse* has been either out caching with me, or sat next to me all day - and I know for a fact she hasn't tried to open any account on emcache. I assume, as site admin, you'll have a record of the IP she connected from. I'll happily compare it with the one we're using.

2. I believe you might find that calling me an idiot violated this forums T&Cs. Would you like to retract your comment?

3. If we're talking cutting and pasting emails, maybe it's now time for Tim's original email to the GAGB to be posted so that everybody can see how this started? I notice you aren't being very forthcoming in forwarding the requests GAGB apparently made to icache to stream their data, either. Presumably you kept these, along with your responses?

Ali Evans = *mouse*

After being sent a link, I nearly registered for an account on emcache today. After reading that I am kinda glad that I decided not to. :ph34r:

Ali Evans = *mouse*

arrogance is never a endearing quality ist it, because that just what your reply is

Edited by Munkeh

1. Yes, you have my IP from my last log on to your site. You and I both know that no attempt was made to set up a new account from that address, so either provide some evidence, or retract camaro's statement.

2. I apologise for calling you a **** on Facebook on what I believed at the time to be a private thread. I expect Camaro to do the same - including an apology for his unfounded accusations towards *mouse* (see above)

3. As you know, I am no longer able to access emcache, so do not know whether you have posted the email there or not.

Edited by keehotee

arrogance is never a endearing quality ist it, because that just what your reply is

I don't think it's arrogant, just a statement of facts. However, I do think your response is ill thought out, bereft of intelligence, logic, and in any way useful.

Thanks for trying anyway.

(At least spell check your posts if you want to take the high ground mate.)

Is there any way to have ones stats/caches removed from icache?

The data received is from Groundspeak, and is used under their terms & conditions that you signed up to.

So, no, unless the site admin decides in the best interests to do so.

Odd you say that - as I was reading Groundspeaks Terms and Conditions... and in the privacy section it says...

2. Privacy

Groundspeak will use Your personally identifiable information collected in connection with this Site, including without limitation Your name, e-mail address, or other information unique to You ("Personally Identifiable Information"), in the following ways:

(a) Groundspeak may use Personally Identifiable Information to contact You about new caches in Your geographic area; to keep You notified of developments in the geocaching related activities; to give You updates on changes to the Site; and to allow You to log Your cache finds and share Your experiences with other users of the Site.

(:o Groundspeak may also use Personally Identifiable Information to statistically analyze usage of the Site; to improve Groundspeak's product and service offerings; to customize the Site's content and layout; and to otherwise improve the Site.

Groundspeak uses cookies and other types of Site user tracking technology to recognize Site visitors and to customize certain Site features and functions for repeat visitors. Information collected using cookies may be combined with Personal Information but may only be used as described herein. Cookies are required in order to log caches on the Site, and disabling the use of cookies may impact some of the Site features.

Groundspeak will not sell, rent, or otherwise disclose Personally Identifiable Information to any third party, except: (a) in connection with any merger or acquisition of Groundspeak (or Groundspeak assets), including without limitation any restructuring activity with another legal entity; or as (:o as required by subpoena, search warrant, or other valid legislative or judicial process. Groundspeak may, however, disclose non-personalized, aggregate data to third parties as may be collected and processed in connection with the Site.

By Grounspeaks own definition my caching name is Personally Identifable Information ie "is or other information unique to You ("Personally Identifiable Information")"

Could you point out where I agreed that my details could be used on sites other than Geocaching.com? It really isn't an issue, I just wondered how this permission has been given. No doubt I've missed an additional Privacy document somewhere.

Could you point out where I agreed that my details could be used on sites other than Geocaching.com? It really isn't an issue, I just wondered how this permission has been given. No doubt I've missed an additional Privacy document somewhere.

Same page, but you need to scroll down to section 6:

By submitting any Submission to Groundspeak, You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

So the whole Privacy statement is a work of fiction?